People walking in Tunnels

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2013, 03:12 PM

nysnowbirds - that was very well put. Couldn't have said it better myself. If you must get to your golf date, leave a little earlier.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Really? The only safe way to cross. How about waiting at the crosswalks and pushing the button for the lights to stay red? That's what I've always done. I'd think that it would be much more dangerous using the golf cart tunnels.
I walk the streets below Bonita Blvd. and often need to cross the Buena Vista or Morse to get to the other side.

I have never seen a cross-walk or traffic light with a button to push to cross.
Please let me know what I am missing????

When someone makes a comment on this site, people often use their own frame of reference and overlay it on the poster. It's like giving an answer without knowing the question!!!

As I said, when I walk, where I walk, The only safe way to cross are the tunnels. They are there for all of us; cart drivers, walkers, bikers, roller bladers, segway riders, bikers etc.

Get over it and share.... safe driving is not that hard; it's only inconvenient!
Old 11-26-2013, 01:05 AM

Do not blow your horn please, it startles me and I am not a spring chicken,horn is for emergency, not to announce your presence in a tunnel or to amuse your grandchildren
Old 11-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

Cromlich's point is well taken. There are those who drive fast, with ATTITUDE. They are amazingly self-centered. The rest of us should use our good judgement and drive our carts to protect our youth and ourselves. Looking out for each other is an obligation of us all, don't ya think?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:54 AM

The recreation paths and tunnels are for all of us to use, not just golf carts. Everyone needs to be aware of their surroundings, show respect for each other and carts need to slow down.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

the best most appropriate comment I have read anywhere for a long, LONG time:

"...safe driving is not that hard; it's only inconvenient!..." (from tpop1 above)

I want a bumper sticker and a t short now.

btk
Old 11-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
I walk the streets below Bonita Blvd. and often need to cross the Buena Vista or Morse to get to the other side.

I have never seen a cross-walk or traffic light with a button to push to cross.
Please let me know what I am missing????

When someone makes a comment on this site, people often use their own frame of reference and overlay it on the poster. It's like giving an answer without knowing the question!!!

As I said, when I walk, where I walk, The only safe way to cross are the tunnels. They are there for all of us; cart drivers, walkers, bikers, roller bladers, segway riders, bikers etc.

Get over it and share.... safe driving is not that hard; it's only inconvenient!
That is an excellent point! Can I use it?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 AM

The Villages Florida
Old 11-26-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Worse yet, some have seemed to think an accident like that would be all the cart driver's fault. Scary.
SEEM to think?

Duh, it WOULD be the driver's fault for hitting a pedestrian. Slow down before you find out who's fault it really is when their lawyer calls you.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran member

You have to slow way down when entering a tunnel. Yesterday I was entering the tunnel by lake miona rec center and there were 8 people walking right at the entrance to the tunnel. They were walking in the tunnel exactly as they should have been, two abreast facing traffic, luckily I was going slow and could go around them.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromlich View Post
Is anyone having trouble with people walking in golf cart tunnels? All of a sudden I have many instances of people walking out in front of our cart while driving through a tunnel. What is the rule? Especially teenagers walking through the 466 tunnel going to Southern Trace. They are walking 5 or 6 abreast and you come in to the tunnel out of the sun and it is dark. I am so afraid someone is going to get hurt. Is it okay for them to be walking through the tunnels? I suspect NOT.
The only golf cart paths in TV are on the golf courses
Old 11-26-2013, 08:32 PM

I agree that the trails are for ALL! Carts are not king! Carts need to be careful because hitting any "walker" would likely involve charges and civil action. Highly recommend carters slow down in tunnels and on paths. Share the road!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Veteran member

and where would you have walkers cross the roads? how about dodging traffic in a roundabout? these are multi-modal trails and are there for the use of all. and maybe, just maybe if the golf carts actually adhered to some sort of speed limits there would not be this sort of potential problem.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW8219 View Post
SEEM to think?

Duh, it WOULD be the driver's fault for hitting a pedestrian. Slow down before you find out who's fault it really is when their lawyer calls you.
Oh. So if a pedestrian is walking on the right side with their back to carts approaching them, instead of on the left and facing oncoming carts....they're doing "nothing" wrong that contributes to an accident?
"Where a sidewalk is not provided, a pedestrian can walk on the road. (Warning, always be cautious and remember that sharing roadways with cars always places one in greater danger.) When a sidewalk is not provided, a pedestrian should walk only on the shoulder on the left side of the roadway as related to the pedestrian's direction of walking, facing the oncoming traffic. (A driver and a pedestrian who face each other are more aware of each other's presence, and this reduces the likelihood of any kind of accident.)...

...Safety always comes first. Stay visible and wear clothes with reflective material at night. Stay out of blind spots. Always be alert"

Pedestrian Rules of the Road for Safety in Florida | Jeffrey Meldon & Associates, PA
Old 11-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaGrandparents2013 View Post
I agree with this solution and would add...........PROCEED WITH CAUTION & SLOW DOWN.
The powers to be ought to post a sign on the entrance of the tunnel ,PROCEED WITH CAUTION & SLOW DOWN FOR WALKERS, but they won't until someone gets hit,........maybe.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.