Permit not needing in Sumter. County

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2015, 11:05 AM

Just wondering.... if you cut down a 5" tree on your own property what could the ARC do? ( cut down without permission that is)

Last edited by GPGuar; 04-07-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: change
Old 04-07-2015, 11:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPGuar View Post
Just wondering.... if you cut down a 5" tree on your own property what could the ARC do? ( cut down without permission that is)
Previous violations of the deed restrictions have been remedied by restoring the property to a state that is in compliance. Priced a 4 inch tree lately?
Old 04-07-2015, 11:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

And the answer is-------- Don't do it without permission. They do have remedies and they are enforceable
Old 04-07-2015, 11:17 AM

Oh I see....thanks Indy.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPGuar View Post
Just remember to be golfing when it is done...

Then practice practice practice the story IN CASE anyone cares. For example...

We got home after dark from golf and did not even notice until the next day, our tree was missing!!

We were shocked, why would anyone steal a tree?

We love the shade, we cannot believe someone would do this..

you get the drift...

Based on past stories (Lake Miona), worst case they will pay to replace it for you... cutting it down a second time will be more difficult
Old 04-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I know someone who was cutting down a large Oak tree and someone complained to ARC. He had to restore the site with a similar sized tree. Was an expensive oversight.

We had a large palm cut down and was told by ARC permission was not necessary. Only Oaks are under the 4" rule.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
I know someone who was cutting down a large Oak tree and someone complained. He had to restore the site with a similar sized tree. Was an expensive oversight.

We had a large palm cut down in Sumter and was told permission was not necessary. Only Oaks are under the 4" rule.
duffysmom - Was that info given to you by a rep from the County or by a rep from our ARC?

Old 04-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

ARC told us that only the Oaks are under the 4" rule. It has nothing to do with the county just TV's rules.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
ARC told us that only the Oaks are under the 4" rule. It has nothing to do with the county just TV's rules.
And ARC told us this winter that we needed permission to remove our Palatka Holly which is rounder than 4"! More confusion! Oy!

Old 04-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Sage

Golf Management cut down 25 oaks, 8" to 19" behind our house. They didn't need permission.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Golf Management cut down 25 oaks, 8" to 19" behind our house. They didn't need permission.
Not the same thing

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
I would guess it was probably part of an overall site plan with the associated permits.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I've been trying to copy the ARC rules, but with no luck... Some here it goes... For my district 2 the rule states you must obtain permission from the ARC to remove a tree with a trunk greater than 4 inches. The next sentence states if it is a canopy tree it must be checked by an arborist. To me these are two different situations. You still need to obtain approval for removal of a palm. It just does not need to be checked by an arborist. My two cents....
The VCDD #9 does not restrict to canopy trees, here is the text from my deed restriction:
2.18 No arbor, trellis, gazebo, pergola (or similar item), awning, fence, barrier, wall or structure of any kind or nature shall be placed on the property without prior written approval of the Developer. Permission must be secured from the Developer prior to the planting or removal of any trees or other shrubs which may affect the rights of adjacent property owners. No tree with a trunk four (4) inches or more in diameter shall be removed or effectively removed through excessive injury without first obtaining permission from the Developer.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Default Permits

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromAroundHere View Post
In certain instances you need approval from the Architectural Review Committee.
Is the Architectural Review Committee part of The Villages or Sumter County?
I thought it was part of TV.
Anyway regarding Sumter permits some major things have changed, at least one anyway.. Relatively new village houses built with adjoining back property to another house each always had to have a minimum of 10 ft land with no construction. Not sure how or why but TV now lets sumter county give building permits so only six feet is required. Have been watching the four foot retrofit additions added to existing properties.
So just wondering if TV gave this requirement up maybe the four inch diameter trees are under sumter control now too.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Sage
Default Permit not needing in Sumter. County

County government setback restrictions are usually a function of zoning and easement dedications. It would likely not be possible to encroach on these limits with only an agreement of some sort between the county and the VCDD. Zoning and easement restrictions are very specific and binding and from my experience cannot be eased without a variance from the Board of County Commissioners...not usually a slam-dunk process.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.