Permit not needing in Sumter. County

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Default Building permits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
County government setback restrictions are usually a function of zoning and easement dedications. It would likely not be possible to encroach on these limits with only an agreement of some sort between the county and the VCDD. Zoning and easement restrictions are very specific and binding and from my experience cannot be eased without a variance from the Board of County Commissioners...not usually a slam-dunk process.
No idea how or what changed but sumter is granting permits for four foot additions to the back of houses that are presently 10 ft from adjacent lot. The present minimum is six ft.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
No idea how or what changed but sumter is granting permits for four foot additions to the back of houses that are presently 10 ft from adjacent lot. The present minimum is six ft.
Ok folks, as is usual in most of these situations where odd things happen that seem to go against conventional wisdom (also sometimes called urban legend), a simple call to the entity that governs the situation will illuminate things quite well.

After a pleasant chat with staff in the Sumter County Zoning Office, here's what I discovered:

1) Setbacks shown on TV house plans (like we received at closing) shown as 5' side lot line and 10' back lot line are The Villages desired setbacks

2) Sumter County has 0' (zero foot) lot line setbacks on all sides and 10' min. between structures setbacks (This is important when you may not be the first person in - i.e., back yard neighbor has already built a birdcage)

3) Since Villages ARC has to bless all building plans, it is up to that group to allow an owner to go beyond their "desired" 10' back lot setback (see point #1)

Thus, if you are seeing build-outs/add-on's that are going beyond 10' from the lot line (6' in your observed cases), that action was approved by the ARC only, so long as the distance between structures remained at least 10'. If, however, someone wanted/desired to add a structure closer than 10' from the lot line, AND closer than 10' from the neighboring structure, then they would need ARC approval and a variance from Sumter County.

Hope that helps clarify and understand what's going on a little better. It's also why the Sumter County person I spoke with referred to is as the "First one in wins" principle!! Ciao! gh
Old 04-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Golf Management cut down 25 oaks, 8" to 19" behind our house. They didn't need permission.
How do you know? Can you cite a source?
Old 04-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Sage

In answer to Challenger's question, we called Villages' Community Standards while the cutting was going on; they immediately came out and looked at the trees being cut and sympathized but said it wasn't their jurisdiction, since the cutting was on a developer-owned golf course. I then called Golf Management who said they ordered the trees cut so the remaining trees would have a chance to "flourish."

We wrote a letter of protest to the developer, including photos of the stumps, and received a letter back from his representative thanking us for our concern in keeping The Villages beautiful.

That was the end of it as far as I know. I did not know until this thread that Sumter Co. was supposed to be involved in tree removal so I didn't ask Golf Management if they had a permit from the County.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Default Permits

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNJ View Post
Ok folks, as is usual in most of these situations where odd things happen that seem to go against conventional wisdom (also sometimes called urban legend), a simple call to the entity that governs the situation will illuminate things quite well.

After a pleasant chat with staff in the Sumter County Zoning Office, here's what I discovered:

1) Setbacks shown on TV house plans (like we received at closing) shown as 5' side lot line and 10' back lot line are The Villages desired setbacks

2) Sumter County has 0' (zero foot) lot line setbacks on all sides and 10' min. between structures setbacks (This is important when you may not be the first person in - i.e., back yard neighbor has already built a birdcage)

3) Since Villages ARC has to bless all building plans, it is up to that group to allow an owner to go beyond their "desired" 10' back lot setback (see point #1)

Thus, if you are seeing build-outs/add-on's that are going beyond 10' from the lot line (6' in your observed cases), that action was approved by the ARC only, so long as the distance between structures remained at least 10'. If, however, someone wanted/desired to add a structure closer than 10' from the lot line, AND closer than 10' from the neighboring structure, then they would need ARC approval and a variance from Sumter County.

Hope that helps clarify and understand what's going on a little better. It's also why the Sumter County person I spoke with referred to is as the "First one in wins" principle!! Ciao! gh
Thank you. So if two houses are presently each 10 ft from back property line then it is possible for one to build 10 ft to th edge of his property line thus leaving 10 ft between the two buildings. Interesting
Old 04-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
Thank you. So if two houses are presently each 10 ft from back property line then it is possible for one to build 10 ft to th edge of his property line thus leaving 10 ft between the two buildings. Interesting
I don't believe your interpretation is correct. We were told by the ARC that even plantings cannot be closer than 2 feet from the property line.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Sage

I'm reading a lot of conflicting information and much that appears to leave room for interpretation. I would suggest, if you have a situation regarding setbacks, tree-removals, etc., contact the County, the District, and anybody else that may be involved to get the answers that apply to your specific situation. Be certain before you proceed. Mistakes can be expensive.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I don't believe your interpretation is correct. We were told by the ARC that even plantings cannot be closer than 2 feet from the property line.
Don't forget. I gave you the County zoning guidelines as well as the "desired" guidelines put in place by The Villages (what is shown on your property plan). The first gauntlet you have to get thru is the ARC, run by The Villages. Chances are, they would rarely if ever sign off on going right up to the property line. So I don't believe your described scenario would ever come to pass.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Sage

We agree
Old 04-09-2015, 10:50 AM

Timely conversation for us as we have been considering having some large palms removed. I called Community Standards this morning, and was told that if the palms were greater than 4 in in diameter, I needed to complete an ARF for approval. They did not ask what county I lived in.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.