Neighborhoods

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Veteran member
Default Neighborhoods

Now this may have some of you laughing and quite frankly, if I read this, I kind of laugh too but I figured you are all nice enough to give me your comments. And I realize there is really no way to know but wonder how others have coped!

How do you pick the right neighborhood for you!!!!! We like Sumter Landing vs. Spanish Springs. So, this is the area our sales rep shows us when we visit. Of course, he steers us in the direction of new homes and not resales. We are thinking about both, new vs. resale and probably would use an agent outside TV if we decide to look at previously owned homes.

Anyway, reading these posts and some of the problems about neighbors, etc; how do you know what you're getting yourself into!!! We are social people but not "party type" people. A person who lives in TV told me there are two types of neighborhoods; one where they have parties if someone changes a lightbulb and it's just one big drunk feast nightly; and the other where they will have nice social gaterhings once a month or so.

We don't want to be in an atmosphere where it's party, party, party and no privacy. We're anxious to meet new people and have friends but we want nice times, not "drink" fests every night.

Has anyone moved into a neighborhood where you realize it's not for you?

I know, there are other things to worry about but this crossed my mind after reading some of the posts about "not the ideal neighbor".

If we want to stay in the Sumter Landing area, what is the neighborhood we should be looking at for convenience, etc. We're looking at designer homes.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Send a message via AIM to walkingfool
Default Re: Neighborhoods

I live in a designer home in a fabulous neighborhood. We are all pretty middle class & very active in golf, barbshop singing church choir etc. We usually get together with a few of our neighbors once a week for cocktails & dinner. I don't care where you end up...there will be very conservative people that you won't see very often and people who have people on their lenai every night. That is what's so great about TV. There are choices even with your neighbors.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think no matter which neighborhood you end up in there is enough of a cross section of people you will find your own.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Veteran member

I think new neighborhoods might be best for you. Everyone here in Tall Trees moved in about the same time as it opened in August 2005. I live in the Cherry Vale Villas and take my word for it, there are all kinds of people here. If privacy is a big issue for you, the courtyard villas would be my recommendation. These re the ONLY homes in the Villages with fences and actually ours have stucco walls around them and then "plastic" fences between the villas. Gives you the utmost privacy.

New vs pre-owned, I don't know. Sometimes being a second owner you get a lot of advantages and might even have your bond paid by the current owner.

I think every neighborhood has party animals, get-togethers, and keep to themselves type of folks. Here in Cherry Vale, about 14 of us get together once a month to celebrate the birthdays for that month. There are about 72 villas in the neighborhood and there are other groups that get together as well. We have a Ladies Social Group for all of Tall Trees and they meet once a month and talk about what's new; have guest speakers; ice cream socials; bingo, etc. Lots' of games and fun once a month.

I do believe you are better off using a non-Villages realtor for the pre-owned homes because my personal feeling is that TV staff will try to steer you to the new homes because that's the ones they need to sell.

I wish you the best of luck. Suggestion, list what you absolutely HAVE TO HAVE in your new home; how many bedrooms; baths; office; size garage; PRIVACY, etc. Once you determine the order of necessity, them you can determine what type home you want. Again I stress, if privacy is a BIG issue for you, a courtyard villa will give you that but the largest ones I have seen are only 3 bedroom with two baths.

I love my villa and I love Tall Trees as a neighborhood.

Hope you find something that you love as much. :2cool:
Old 11-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Default YOUNG VS. OLDER NEIGHBORHOODS

I am down in TV for two months--and am wondering about similar issues. I am single and younger...(56). I LOVE Spanish Springs....it is so beautiful where I am renting. But, I hear that the younger folks live over by Sumter. Is that an accurate assessment?
Lynn
Old 11-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Send a message via AIM to LovinItAtTheVillages Send a message via Yahoo to LovinItAtTheVillages

We bought a place in the older section..
our particular street is dead.......I mean no one does anything
no get togethers..no nothing
But in the same neighborhood..another gal I met at pool told me..her street always has get togethers,, and fun
I guess it just depends

Of course joining some of the various clubs and such..you can meet other folks with similar interests
I just get a bit envious when I see in paper all the fun times the other neighborhoods have
Old 11-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

My house is in Lynnhaven, they do stuff there all the time..Great group of neighbors there!!!
:bigthumbsup:

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 11-17-2007, 12:27 AM

I heard that Lynnhaven was one of the nicest villages at TV. I LOVE it over here off Palo Alto--the big trees, the water, the golf courses....it is all SO beautiful. When I go to Sumter Square--it leaves me cold.

BUT, I am single...and I want to be able to meet people--and also want to be able to DO THINGS with others in the neighborhood.....

I haven't started looking yet--as I have to sell my home in Ohio first...and the market is awful up there. But, I DO want to find out what is out there--and what I can afford. I suppose I'll have to go to the sales office eventually....and have someone show me what is available in my price range....in both sections. I heard that places over in Sumter were a little better priced--and wondered why--since Savannah is older...

Thanks for your responses!
Lynn
Old 11-21-2007, 12:13 AM

First let me say I love the Villages there is really no place I'd rather be.

Sections of the Villages are different even though all the homes look the same. My guess is Lake Sumter area folks are younger because that part of the Villages is younger. Spanish Springs area would be older because those areas are approaching 10+ years old.

Party areas ?????? I can't tell you what area is better than another but I can say The further away you get away from the recreation and commercial areas the more quiet the area in general. To me it is not the parties you want to look out for its the amount of people that come through or past your home going to the shops or to the town centers or or rec areas or public streets. Lastly should I mention the train. Do you want to live close to the gate to your Village?????? Remember cars have to stop at gates and cars rev up and everyone in your neighborhood can wave to you as they go by. (just Kidding)

One thing for sure you can find an area for you. The one thing I can say is... If you buy new then everyone is on the same footing.

Saying all that I love the Springdale area of the Villages.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:17 AM

I am not familiar with the trains...can you enlighten me?
Lynn
Old 11-21-2007, 04:03 AM
Sage

Ditzy:

There is a thread titled "many people have asked about the train" that is currently on page four of this forum. It will explain the train.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Veteran member

Any place you go is what YOU want it to be not someone else
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.