Person to person spread here of virus here

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2020, 05:42 AM

As a former UPI reporter I gave this article a D- minus. Community Spread is not defined by the writer, yet it's a key descriptor in the headline. Even the suggestion of its plain meaning, that the Community is seeing the virus advance because of something the community shouldn't be doing - is unsubstantiated.

"A serious outbreak inside the community could have devastating effects. Most who show symptoms from the virus develop a fever or cough and may have trouble breathing, though they do recover."

Consider this two-sentence paragraph. Couldn't the first sentence be said of any community? This has nothing pertinent to offer readers with an interest specific to The Villages.

"Prior to the opening of the testing site, The Villages slowly began to shut down its expansive social scene. That’s after the community — which leans Republican — had sought to downplay the virus’s affects as President Donald Trump repeatedly expressed confidence the virus would be contained inside the U.S."

First, it's effects, not affects. This writer has a law degree, which made me marvel not only at his spelling, but also at his assertion that the community had sought to downplay the "virus's affects" (sic). In my opinion, his statement is invidious and made without any substantiation. His additional reference to politics (apparently the real cause of the spread of infection) is another irrelevant injection in what purported to be a story about disease. And when did the president ever state that the virus would be contained within the US? Let me be clear, the Wuhan virus started in...where was it?...oh, yeah, Wuhan. How can it be contained in the US?

I know, he means something else. But that's why E.B. White said you should re-read your own work, because while you think you may have said what you meant, chances are very good you haven't.

He also uses a couple propaganda devices to take a swipe at the president. One is "Authority". He quotes a nurse (a healthcare authority) but he doesn't quote her on healthcare. He quotes her on politics to leverage her authority into an area it doesn't apply. He uses her to spread the false claim that people (Trump has been the one accused of this) have called the virus a hoax. Here is what he said:

"One of my people came up to me and said, “Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax that was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’ve been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning, they lost, it’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.” (DJT 2/28/20)

Finally, he uses her comment on the awakening of the community as though this one person has her finger on The Villages pulse. That's just bad judgment. Maybe D-minus is generous.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickg View Post
5 community spread cases in The Villages.
I went walking last night. Saw two neighborhood parties.

One was fine. About six couples side by side but distanced at least 10 feet apart spread over two driveways and part of the street.

Then, later in my walk, saw another party with maybe 10-15 people all on the same driveway but only a few feet apart. Some people still don't get it.

This implies a Darwinian selection may be going on over the next few weeks.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:07 AM

What can you expect from a pig but a grunt. As long as these adult children act stupid we will be in this for a long time.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:10 AM

It's a shame that we need to be "ordered" to stay put.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:17 AM

Good stuff from "JackRussell." Thank you.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 03-29-2020, 06:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRussell View Post
As a former UPI reporter I gave this article a D- minus. Community Spread is not defined by the writer, yet it's a key descriptor in the headline. Even the suggestion of its plain meaning, that the Community is seeing the virus advance because of something the community shouldn't be doing - is unsubstantiated.

"A serious outbreak inside the community could have devastating effects. Most who show symptoms from the virus develop a fever or cough and may have trouble breathing, though they do recover."

Consider this two-sentence paragraph. Couldn't the first sentence be said of any community? This has nothing pertinent to offer readers with an interest specific to The Villages.

"Prior to the opening of the testing site, The Villages slowly began to shut down its expansive social scene. That’s after the community — which leans Republican — had sought to downplay the virus’s affects as President Donald Trump repeatedly expressed confidence the virus would be contained inside the U.S."

First, it's effects, not affects. This writer has a law degree, which made me marvel not only at his spelling, but also at his assertion that the community had sought to downplay the "virus's affects" (sic). In my opinion, his statement is invidious and made without any substantiation. His additional reference to politics (apparently the real cause of the spread of infection) is another irrelevant injection in what purported to be a story about disease. And when did the president ever state that the virus would be contained within the US? Let me be clear, the Wuhan virus started in...where was it?...oh, yeah, Wuhan. How can it be contained in the US?

I know, he means something else. But that's why E.B. White said you should re-read your own work, because while you think you may have said what you meant, chances are very good you haven't.

He also uses a couple propaganda devices to take a swipe at the president. One is "Authority". He quotes a nurse (a healthcare authority) but he doesn't quote her on healthcare. He quotes her on politics to leverage her authority into an area it doesn't apply. He uses her to spread the false claim that people (Trump has been the one accused of this) have called the virus a hoax. Here is what he said:

"One of my people came up to me and said, “Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax that was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’ve been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning, they lost, it’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.” (DJT 2/28/20)

Finally, he uses her comment on the awakening of the community as though this one person has her finger on The Villages pulse. That's just bad judgment. Maybe D-minus is generous.
Excellent analysis, really top notch. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:36 AM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

Cannot for the life of me understand how people are not realising & accepting the sad fact that just because they’re in TV that they are somehow magically immune!!! You’re NOT!!
Old 03-29-2020, 06:50 AM

Because The Villages is described as an "extended spring break for adults" these people are believing that it's true, and acting like the morons who crowded the beaches because they didn't want to miss out. Go for it, people! Party on! You'll find out soon enough that you should have paid attention when you had the chance.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:51 AM

Professor Russell
Thank you for the lesson
I read your analysis three times and learned a few things
Keep writing
Old 03-29-2020, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

It was test verified they have the virus not food poisoning.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
The Florida Surgeon General issued an emergency order urging residents over the age of 65 to remain in their residence to contain the spread of the virus, except for essential activities. You wouldn't know it looking at the people out and about in The Villages.
You can't fix STUPID
Old 03-29-2020, 07:08 AM

The CDC is now saying that over a million Americans could have had the China Virus prior to February back into November due to the number of Chinese people traveling here, however it was either undiagnosed because it was not severe or it was misdiagnosed as the common flu which has killed 10 times more people. Pandemic or fear pushing by the media. I know one thing, it is like the flu in this way and we don't shut the country down. You are probably going to get it in someway, some will die, some will never know they have it and most will deal with it for 10 days and go on with their lives. Just like the flu. So get over the hysteria, people get sick in life, people die. If not by corona virus, then by any one of a million other illnesses.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:13 AM

I enjoy a well written, syntactically correct article.

Thanks JackRussell.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:19 AM
Send a message via AIM to USA2170

A perfect response to a failed article..D-..your being way to polite..Given F.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
The Florida Surgeon General issued an emergency order urging residents over the age of 65 to remain in their residence to contain the spread of the virus, except for essential activities. You wouldn't know it looking at the people out and about in The Villages.
There is no problem being "out and about" if you avoid getting near other people. I certainly don't wish to be trapped in my house for the next several months. I am outside walking, on my bike, or in my golf cart at least three hours per day. But, I make sure I pass no closer than six feet from anyone. If I see four people walking abreast on a multi-modal trail, I simply walk off until they pass.

A disaster waiting to happen is take-out food. I tried that once, but never again. Too many people were getting way too close and all using the same pens, folders for bills, etc.

Last edited by toeser; 03-29-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
person, spread, virus, community, cases

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.