Personal security, the 4As

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Default Personal security, the 4As

From a post by Figmo Bohica. I believe it should have its own thread and dicussion.

The four “As” – aware, alert, act, and alive. This applies to everything—daily life, driving, and to a self-defense situation.

“Aware” means you recognize, believe, accept and understand that there are various kinds of dangers in daily life, and that – yes – it really can happen to you. If this is your mind-set, it is easier to remain properly alert.

“Alert” means that you are attentive to your environment, so your physical senses and intuition are turned on and tuned in. Jeff Cooper listed alertness as the first principle of personal defense. When you believe it can happen to you, your brain is geared to look for things that don’t look right; then you can avoid them. In the book “The Gift of Fear” by Gavin DeBecker, he writes that to “fear less,” you should trust your feelings.

Then “Act.” Take appropriate action based on indicators your brain picks up, often at the subliminal level. Even though our modern, civilized conscious mind isn’t always able to recognize what the threat is. Being prepared to act can be based on “crisis rehearsal”. Do some mental imaging, do some training, visualize and mentally see yourself defending yourself, successfully surviving and prevailing. No one knows exactly what we may do, but if we have trained, we have a pretty good idea of our responses. We will respond as we have trained. Act on the threat indicators, and you can remain alive.

And that’s the final “A” – Alive. This is not all doom and gloom. There is more to being alive than just avoiding threats and danger. Yes it’s often a dangerous world, but if you are paying attention to your surroundings - not just walking around looking at the cracks in the sidewalk – you will also be more aware of the beauty all around. You’ll see the flowers, the sunshine, the kids playing, because you’re not focused on yourself and your problems. Keep your head and eyes up and pay attention, and enjoy.

Lets enjoy our remaining years by being just a little more careful in our daily lives. - Figmo Bohica

Thank you Figmo
Old 12-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Default Teaching the 4As

Perhaps Figmo Bohica could be inticed to teach a class on how to become more aware of personal security. Anyone interested?
Old 12-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Gold member

The 4 A's is not originally mine. They are statements by several security, firearms and personal protection people and have been refined down through the ages. It is a good method to keep yourself and your loved ones safe or as safe as can be. As we all know and can see from the reports around us about crime the world has changed some from the past to the present.

I have been in law enforcement, security or firearms training for better than 57 years.

If there is a group that would like to have a class on personal protection and home safety with or without firearms, you can do a lot to keep yourself safe and don't really need to carry a firearm to do it, please contact me by PM and we can talk about it and what you will need to do for me to put on a class. The class is about 2 hours long and depending on size the cost will be nominal. I will let you know what I need to present the class in the way of audio/visual equipment, your group will be responsible for getting a room in one of the Rec Centers.

Let's all learn how to be safe so that we have many happy years in The Villages.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Gold member

Think its a great idea. Would rather the local police department run the class,this way he would have first hand knowledge of crimes and solutions.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Gold member

This is not about crimes and soluations, this would be about what YOU as an individual should or should not do to protect yourself and actions that you can take.

It would be nice to have a local law enforcement agency come in and talk about the crime rates and what they are doing to low them, but its up to you to take the initial precautions to protect yourself. Big difference in what the discussions would be about.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Gold member

Sorry, What I meant was,wish current police officer could talk about what we can and cannot do to protect ourselves.This way we are current and up to date with facts.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Sorry, What I meant was,wish current police officer could talk about what we can and cannot do to protect ourselves.This way we are current and up to date with facts.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.