Pet lost to gator

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2022, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I know of people that think it's great to feed, not only gators but sandhill cranes and have feeders that attract racoons and coyotes. Most are from big cities and have no idea what that does to the perception of the wild animals. When you try and inform them they take the "mind your business" approach and have no regard for the harm they are doing and continue feeding. Had a friend teel me they had a neighbor that fed a gator in their pond, then sold their house and the buyer had the gator break into their lanai. Please stop feeding the wild life.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-25-2022, 06:05 AM
Platinum member
Default Gator bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
i did not want to live near water because i did not want to fear working in the yard. With my back to the water, i would always feel as though a gator would come up behind me and attack. I do not trust them. I do a lot of work in the yard and enjoy it.
i come from a state where alligators would be hunted to extinction. Don't really care about bleeding hearts who support their case. They belong outside of the villages with a zero tolerance mind set. Do we have to have a disney tragedy first .
Ps dont give me the higher than thee speech over " they were here first". So was the american indian whose blood soaked lands we
drive over as we go our merry ways
Old 09-25-2022, 06:13 AM

If anyones pet gets attached by a gator or taken away by any predator, they should never be allowed to have another one………
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 09-25-2022, 06:16 AM

The gators were here way before someone wanted a home in their territory!! You invaded them they didn’t invade You.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 09-25-2022, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldseries27 View Post
i come from a state where alligators would be hunted to extinction. Don't really care about bleeding hearts who support their case. They belong outside of the villages with a zero tolerance mind set. Do we have to have a disney tragedy first .
Ps dont give me the higher than thee speech over " they were here first". So was the american indian whose blood soaked lands we
drive over as we go our merry ways
So, two wrongs make it right?
Old 09-25-2022, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4vt View Post
The gators were here way before someone wanted a home in their territory!! You invaded them they didn’t invade You.
Nonsense, they are in man made ponds in areas not habitable by gators previously.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:36 AM

The cycle of life
Old 09-25-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I did not want to live near water because I did not want to fear working in the yard. With my back to the water, I would always feel as though a gator would come up behind me and attack. I do not trust them. I do a lot of work in the yard and enjoy it.
Good idea not to trust alligators, but it doesn't stop there: We have observed poisonous snakes in our backyard (e.g. water moccasins and eastern diamondback rattlesnake), bats that sleep in the lawn furniture by day and some really big spiders. Install a motion activated night vision camera and you will add coyotes, raccoons, opossums, foxes, armadillos, etc, to the list. Marlin Perkins would be proud!
Old 09-25-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Before there is too much speculation. From what people who witnessed the event, The dog was being walked by a pet sitter/dog walker. The dog was on a leash and on the path. Just goes to show that a hungry gator, especially one that’s used to seeing people isn’t afraid to leave the pond for food.

Also from what I understand, the gator was removed.
I hope it was. Some of the gators are HUGE and I find it crazy that they are not removed before a pet or person is injured.

I was walking the other night along Marsh Bend and heard one very closs by. I quickly found myself walking in the cart lane across the street instead of the walk way that is directly on the marsh border.

For those who don't know the sound they make it is like a deep frog sound on steroids.

Red Fox Gray Fox has so many huge gators just feet away from the T boxes. I will say they are great incentive to move players along.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoWhiskers View Post
For those who don't know the sound they make it is like a deep frog sound on steroids.
Yes, that is a good description of the sound they make.

I was raised in Fort Myers FL and we used to talk with the alligator that lived in a pond on our golf course. We would walk by the pond and grunt and the gator would grunt back.

Yes, I know, that may not sound like a deep conversation by your standards, but for a teen-age boy that counts as a real conversation.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Nonsense, they are in man made ponds in areas not habitable by gators previously.
You destroy the natural habitat of alligators, forcing them out to find a suitable environment, of which, is a "man made pond" You certainly can't believe that is "Nonsense"?
Old 09-25-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Fishermen attract gaters. Especially if they tease them with their catch.

We had gator that started following fishermen, then start following walkers.

A fishing pole and line may look similar to a dog on a leash.
What a dumbs..t thing to say. If they start following walkers it's because walkers often walk...wait for it....dogs.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedere Nescio View Post
Have heard that a dog was taken by an alligator in Bradford a few days ago. Haven’t seen any word in news outlets or forums but have heard from persons that were present.

Just a reminder to keep your pets on leashes and away from the shore lines of any lakes. It only takes a moment for a gator to pull an animal into the water and even large dogs can be drowned before they can escape.
Usually they’ll take the gator out & relocate it.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Usually they’ll take the gator out & relocate it.
The gators are euthanized. There was one exception Larry was relocated to an Orlando gator attraction.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:00 AM

It's Florida and where ever there is ANY bodies of water there are gators ... they are all around. I would NEVER walk my dogs on leashes on the paths back there.. they are beautiful paths and walking or biking is great but it's not the place for dogs. I also keep mine away from the cart paths. We have great dog parks and other safe places. Don't get complacent. Don't let them out without supervision especially small dogs. This is only my opinions of course but I was born and raised here and it's always been this way. ❤️
Closed Thread

Tags
heard, gator, shore, moment, lakes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.