Pet screens/coyotes

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran member
Default Pet screens/coyotes

Back to the old coyote talk.... I have Cook Aluminum out here to install a bird cage on a built out slab. On my existing lanai, I am having them install "animal" screens on the bottom panels. They say they are virtually chew and claw proof...at least for a few hours! Time enough to get your pets in.The price is very inexpensive. I have been a nervous wreck with my cats outside on the lanai, and I think this will solve the problem. My tops have sliding vinyl windows, which are fabulous for keeping the rain out and privacy. We left the bottoms as screen FOR the cats, so they could see out and get some air. I thought I was doing a nice thing for my kitties. These guys did the windows for us, too, and are very cost friendly and professional and KIND. Their number is 352-342-7809, should you need some peace of mind for your pets, or just some nice windows or bird cage! Oh, they do the retractable garage screens, too!

P.S. I post this only for those pet owners that have been concerned for their indoor pets they let out on the lanai. The subject of whether it is necessary and what (if anything) should be done about the coyotes has been hashed and rehashed enough. I would rather have peace of mind, than be the "exception" to what the coyotes may or may not do. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Sage

What are the screens made of? I was thinking of Kevlar but decided to let kitty go live with his original master.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

I just asked...they say it is nylon cord with PVC coating, like a heavy fabric. They tell me you can still see through it and get air through it, and it comes in 6 different colors. I am just getting what matches my other screens. The thing is...they told me it won't stop an animal from EVER getting through it, but it would take a good hour of chewing and clawing to do so. They won't be able to do a quick claw, rip open and grab. I've read coyotes are opportunistic hunters, and it seems that much trouble for one would be enough of a deterrent. My cats are never alone outside for that long. And, they don't have access to the lanai when we aren't here or at night when we are sleeping.

Last edited by Lovey2; 10-13-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:56 AM
Veteran member

Could you post pictures of the finished product? I let my cat out on the lanai and have the same concerns and have been trying to decide what to do to protect her.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

We also installed pet screen in the lower panels of our birdcage, and had the regular screen in the existing lanai replaced with pet screen. It was more expensive then the 'normal' screen, but definitely less expensive then other solution, and our kitty loves access to the BC/lanai. The attached photos show inside looking out, and the finished birdcage.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20150925_184240.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	55494   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20150926_185650.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	55495  
Old 10-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Gold member

And if you only want to do a screen door or you are a do-it-yourselfer......some years back we purchased pet screening at the store and did the screen on our sliding glass door. We had a courtyard villa and our dogs would tear the screen up jumping on it when they were outside. No problem after replacing the regular screen with this pet screening. Can't remember, but we probably bought it at Lowe's (maybe Home Depot).
Old 10-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We also installed pet screen in the lower panels of our birdcage, and had the regular screen in the existing lanai replaced with pet screen. It was more expensive then the 'normal' screen, but definitely less expensive then other solution, and our kitty loves access to the BC/lanai. The attached photos show inside looking out, and the finished birdcage.

Very nicely done. How does the screening differ from Coolaroo?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:36 AM

Sounds good! Anyone watch the Netflix show on coy wolfs in our cities...good film.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I know your house!! I love the new cage and landscaping! It looks fabulous! You had little signs on the screen that said cats, and already had some kind of wire out there for the kitties! I always wondered what it was, now I am getting the pet screens too. Our cage sits up a foot or 2 and we are keeping the existing door and windows, so no need to do that part. We will be keeping the kitties in the lanai part unless we are out there. Thanks for posting the pics. They are working on the cage and new bottom panels right now.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Platinum member

It's so nice to see folks adapting to life in central Florida where they have to change things up a bit to protect our pets from the wildlife.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Just an aside. The Lynnhaven and Ashland people who have had cats snatched from their lanais according to scuttlebutt around the Village of Lynnhaven believe this was a bobcat that got the cats, not a coyote.

And it is probably one bobcat that hunts in this area.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Just an aside. The Lynnhaven and Ashland people who have had cats snatched from their lanais according to scuttlebutt around the Village of Lynnhaven believe this was a bobcat that got the cats, not a coyote.

And it is probably one bobcat that hunts in this area.
Thanks, that makes me feel somewhat better! There have been coyote spotted around here too, tho. It was never a concern for me. I thought if they were in the screens they were safe. Better for me to make sure my babies are protected, rather than cry after it's too late!
Old 10-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
It's so nice to see folks adapting to life in central Florida where they have to change things up a bit to protect our pets from the wildlife.
Yeah, this is a new one for me. I lived in SWFL for 26 years and was never concerned about the cats outside on the lanai. Even on the canal, there wasn't much that came up over the seawall and nothing else seemed interested... I have been driving the hubs crazy about staying outside on the lanai with the cats, so he is happy with this solution. Of course, now he's gonna wanna come in here, I'll bet...damn,damn,damn!!
Old 10-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
And if you only want to do a screen door or you are a do-it-yourselfer......some years back we purchased pet screening at the store and did the screen on our sliding glass door. We had a courtyard villa and our dogs would tear the screen up jumping on it when they were outside. No problem after replacing the regular screen with this pet screening. Can't remember, but we probably bought it at Lowe's (maybe Home Depot).
Thanks...
Old 10-14-2015, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Very nicely done. How does the screening differ from Coolaroo?
I have no idea, have not used the coolaroo. The pet screening is sold as a product that cats cannot claw through and will not tear. It is about twice the weight of regular screening. We are quite happy with it, and so is the cat, she has already charged it several times trying to get at the small critters just outside.

Tags
lanai, pets, windows, nice, cats, pet, cage, bird, install, screens, mind, peace, coyotes, professional, guys, emoticon, kitties, frown, cost, 352-342-7809, number, kind, friendly, owners, hashed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.