Petition Against Seat Roping

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Why not just a few of your friends get
together and march up to the square and plop your BUTT in the chairs. When you get a complaint remind the people there is NO reserving seats. Same thing happened when the parades would go on, the rec people would walk around IF nobody was sitting at a table with the chairs folded up against the table or roped off tables and cut them down. We used to go up around 6 AM and sit at our table. One person is all it took.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Gold member

I petition that they hand out chairs to people coming into the square seating area, starting at 4:30.

They would have to stand in line before 4:30. If they can't act like mature adults with manners, and get mean and nasty standing in line (or having 1 person hold 20 SPACES in line marked with rags on the ground), then they should be booted to the back of the line.

This is worse than bullies and "the popular group" saving seats in the cafeteria or bus in grade school. Grow UP!!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Does anyone really believe the Villages Entertainment Division is going to get in a fight with offenders over saving seats? Maybe the OP should petition the Division to begin issuing monetary fines to those offenders who violate their no saving seat policy

This saving seat issue is just hilarious and will never go anywhere .

Nature is as nature does

Suggestion when you go to the square dance a lot, mingle with the people meeting new and old friends and you won't need a seat
Old 03-08-2015, 02:27 PM

Now take that! Omg some people have to much time on their hands to even dream up this stuff!!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:33 PM

I agree.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Bosoxfan

I don't believe that saving of seats will ever be stopped. Think about it. If someone come to the square early to save seats there's a good chance they're out and about spending money in the businesses that surround the squares.Although I think it's rude and would have no problem sitting in a "saved" seat myself,I believe the powers to be see it as more money!!
Old 03-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
A post in an older thread gave this link to the policy:

FAQ - The Villages Entertainment * Special Events * Box Office

In that link, the last FAQ under the topic "Free Nightly Entertainment" addresses saving seats:

"Q: May we rope off a group of chairs prior to an event?

A: No. Roping or taping chairs together inhibits event setup. If you need to hold chairs, at least one person in your party needs to be with your chairs at all times."

So, apparently there already is a policy, but the real issue is enforcement. If it is not enforced, it is useless.
That sounds like you can save 30 chairs and only need one person with the chairs to comply.......and I think that is what's happening. If it doesn't inhibit even setup no foul.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-08-2015, 05:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
I don't believe that saving of seats will ever be stopped. Think about it. If someone come to the square early to save seats there's a good chance they're out and about spending money in the businesses that surround the squares. Although I think it's rude and would have no problem sitting in a "saved" seat myself,I believe the powers to be see it as more money!!
Many people no longer come to the squares because they can't get a seat and cannot get a restaurant or bar table without waiting an hour or more. That is business lost, not gained.

I still think the chairs should be handed to people as they come in, no earlier than 4:30, and the square interior should be roped off till then. Otherwise people will bring in their own chairs and hog the space that way.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I totally agree; it is a very childish act that should be prohibited; will it ever be? Probably not, but it is good to let voices be heard.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
A post in an older thread gave this link to the policy:

FAQ - The Villages Entertainment * Special Events * Box Office

In that link, the last FAQ under the topic "Free Nightly Entertainment" addresses saving seats:

"Q: May we rope off a group of chairs prior to an event?

A: No. Roping or taping chairs together inhibits event setup. If you need to hold chairs, at least one person in your party needs to be with your chairs at all times."

So, apparently there already is a policy, but the real issue is enforcement. If it is not enforced, it is useless.
According to the policy, chairs can be saved as long as someone stays with the saved chairs. I was under the impression, a block of chairs could not be saved.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Default I agree

saving seats is rude
Old 03-08-2015, 08:24 PM

It's just like the folks on a cruise ship who come and put a towel on a chair before breakfast in order to use it at lunchtime! The difference is, there is a bin there to put their towels in when you sit down in "their" chair. It's rude, inconsiderate, and I don't think there's anything wrong with just sitting down in " their" chair!

Old 03-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I am against the practice of roping off or in any other way holding a section of seats at the various town squares. I think this is rude, selfish, inconsiderate, and wrong and I want to see a policy to bring it to an end. We all pay for those seats and I believe all seats at the squares should be available on a first come, first serve basis, with one seat for one person. This is in no way intended to prohibit a person from saving a seat that has already been taken while that seat occupant is otherwise engaged and away from the seat for a short period of time. I don't care if you're having a class reunion, neighborhood gathering, or the family is in from up north or whatever other reason you feel is justification for inconveniencing the rest of us. Seat holding of large groups when the occupants are not there is wrong and unfair and must end.

Therefore: I petition that The Villages Entertainment Division establish an official policy prohibiting the roping off or in any other way holding or making unavailable to the general public seats for persons who are not currently there to occupy them.

Furthermore, I petition that The Villages Entertainment Division post easily visible signs in multiple locations at each of the town square venues stating this new policy in easily understood language, and that this policy be announced multiple times during each evening at each of the town square venues.

Furthermore I petition that The Villages Entertainment Division employees and/or the applicable sheriff's office enforce this policy each evening.

If you agree with this petition then please post stating that you agree. Any who disagree, please feel free to express your disagreement here as well. Hopefully it will all be reviewed by The Villages Entertainment Division and action will be taken to resolve this issue.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I agree 100%, but maybe they shouldn't provide ANY chairs....problem solved.
However, I just bring my own chairs.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 03-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Platinum member

No policy is worth the paper it's written on unless it includes some method to enforce it. As to whether the Villages Entertainment Division monitors this site, I'm betting they do. If, however, they don't, we can call them and ask them to give it a look. I like the idea of just ignoring the roping and sitting in the seats too, but clearly not enough people are willing to do that and face the argument with the ropers. The VED should enforce and we need to tell them that.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.