Petition Against Seat Roping

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2015, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
AND THEN WHAT???? WHO is going to enforce it and HOW?????

YOU can't fine people who don't live here and own property here. You can't arrest them. They aren't breaking any laws. You can't tell them they can't come back to a public place, and how would you enforce THAT???

People can petition until the cows come home. You can't make them not do it. THe only thing is to hand out chairs, BUT WHEN???????????
I have to respectfully disagree, Gracie. As you know, I agree with you most of the time. I believe that the rule, if one actually exists can be enforced. The entertainment staff would be the ones to enforce it. If people refuse to comply, then it would be time to get the police involved. I think that the police would have the power to arrest or at least threaten to arrest on grounds of not complying with an officer or public drunkeness.

I really don't think there would be very many instances where the police would get involved. In 99% of the cases, people would comply with the staff member.

I think that the police have the authority to assist in enforcing rules. They certainly get involved with crowds at sporting events and concerts when people are being unruly. Often, these people are not breaking a specific law, but are violating the rules of the venue.

Most people would comply when told that their not allowed to save seats by the staff. For the very few instances of people who refuse, most of them are not going to argue with an officer of the law. That leaves very, very few people who will become a problem. And for those very few, the police can take action. Having a few people arrested would stop the problem in a hurry.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:29 PM

I remember the last time there was a big ruckus about seating in town square. It was for New Years Eve. Yes, we used to have New Years Eve parties, and they had to reserve seating. I don't recall exactly what happened, but the Villagers complained like crazy. So..... The Villages cancelled the whole thing, never to have a New Years party again!!! They claimed it was a security issue. Careful what you complain about, if we all can't just get along, privileges could be taken away.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I have to respectfully disagree, Gracie. As you know, I agree with you most of the time. I believe that the rule, if one actually exists can be enforced. The entertainment staff would be the ones to enforce it. If people refuse to comply, then it would be time to get the police involved. I think that the police would have the power to arrest or at least threaten to arrest on grounds of not complying with an officer or public drunkeness.

I really don't think there would be very many instances where the police would get involved. In 99% of the cases, people would comply with the staff member.

I think that the police have the authority to assist in enforcing rules. They certainly get involved with crowds at sporting events and concerts when people are being unruly. Often, these people are not breaking a specific law, but are violating the rules of the venue.

Most people would comply when told that their not allowed to save seats by the staff. For the very few instances of people who refuse, most of them are not going to argue with an officer of the law. That leaves very, very few people who will become a problem. And for those very few, the police can take action. Having a few people arrested would stop the problem in a hurry.
Jim,
There is NO real problem with seats. You have been to Lake Sumter Landing and know if a person arrives earlier than showtime, there will usually be seats available. People leave at the end of the first set and more chairs are available.

People do take roped off chairs when no other seating is available. Once again, no major arguements have occurred.

Police are not going to arrest Villagers for saving a couple of seats for friends. I do not believe anyone should try to save a large block of seats. If no one is in those seats, take them. If half are occupied, they are already taken.

In another month, this entire issue can be put on hold until next year.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
...There is NO real problem with seats...
You've finally said it enough. It's finally true!! Thank you!! Thank you!!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Platinum member

OK, let's see how much interest we have in a petition. Please know that this onlline petition is not intended to be disrespectful to any person or entity, nor is a criticism of The Villages or the lifestyle of The Villages.

This is the American way of letting governmental entities know the feelings of groups of citizens. It's as American as apple pie, and healthy to the governmental process.

In the United States the right to petition is guaranteed by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which specifically prohibits Congress from abridging "the right of the people...to petition the Government for a redress of grievances".

If enough sign on to the petition, then it will be directed to the Ms. Tutt at the VCDD and Ms. Vesco at the Entertainment Division.

I'm simply acting as the secretary here, trying to reflect what I perceive to be a problem that is significant in the minds of many Villagers. You may access the petition at:

Stop the Saving of Blocks of Seats in The Villages Squares - PetitionBuzz
Old 03-19-2015, 07:49 PM

Maybe the solution is to move the rope take away the chairs you need and move to another area so the chair savers cannot find them or you. When they come back after the show has been going on for an hour then the rope would be on the ground.

I have seen chairs saved at 2PM awaiting for a 5 PM show but sometimes they do not show up till 7PM.

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 03-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Dude View Post
Maybe the solution is to move the rope take away the chairs you need and move to another area so the chair savers cannot find them or you. When they come back after the show has been going on for an hour then the rope would be on the ground.

I have seen chairs saved at 2PM awaiting for a 5 PM show but sometimes they do not show up till 7PM.
Aha! The ultimate solution is STEALTH chairs!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:28 PM

I would also like to see the dance area indicated in some way. There are also many rude people who think it is ok to show up late and line up their chairs right in front of those who came early to get good seats! You want good seats get there early!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguarj4 View Post
I would also like to see the dance area indicated in some way. There are also many rude people who think it is ok to show up late and line up their chairs right in front of those who came early to get good seats! You want good seats get there early!
How "early" should we get there? At 6:30 a.m. as they started roping off seats inside the Spanish Springs nightly entertainment area on St. Patty's celebration day??

If an "event" like the nightly entertainment starts at 5pm, there is no need to get there before 4pm. And if you're getting there "early"--before 4pm-- to get the good seats in the front, that means you're roping them off and hogging them all afternoon and possibly morning, keeping them from people who might not even have arrived in TV yet for their visit, preview stay, or home-buying stay.

Having entire rows and sections of chairs roped off like that, hours before the entertainment even starts, gives a REALLY bad impression of Villagers to newcomers and visitors and would-be home buyers! It tells them that seating is not for them, but for some "select few" here. YUCK!!!!

Some of us want this to continue to be known as "Florida's friendliest hometown"!!

Old 03-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
OK, let's see how much interest we have in a petition. Please know that this onlline petition is not intended to be disrespectful to any person or entity, nor is a criticism of The Villages or the lifestyle of The Villages.

This is the American way of letting governmental entities know the feelings of groups of citizens. It's as American as apple pie, and healthy to the governmental process.

In the United States the right to petition is guaranteed by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which specifically prohibits Congress from abridging "the right of the people...to petition the Government for a redress of grievances".

If enough sign on to the petition, then it will be directed to the Ms. Tutt at the VCDD and Ms. Vesco at the Entertainment Division.

I'm simply acting as the secretary here, trying to reflect what I perceive to be a problem that is significant in the minds of many Villagers. You may access the petition at:

Stop the Saving of Blocks of Seats in The Villages Squares - PetitionBuzz

Signed
Old 03-19-2015, 09:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Signed
Signed
Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
How "early" should we get there? At 6:30 a.m. as they started roping off seats inside the Spanish Springs nightly entertainment area on St. Patty's celebration day??

If an "event" like the nightly entertainment starts at 5pm, there is no need to get there before 4pm. And if you're getting there "early"--before 4pm-- to get the good seats in the front, that means you're roping them off and hogging them all afternoon and possibly morning, keeping them from people who might not even have arrived in TV yet for their visit, preview stay, or home-buying stay.

Having entire rows and sections of chairs roped off like that, hours before the entertainment even starts, gives a REALLY bad impression of Villagers to newcomers and visitors and would-be home buyers! It tells them that seating is not for them, but for some "select few" here. YUCK!!!!

Some of us want this to continue to be knownv as "Florida's friendliest hometown"!!

When is the last time YOU actually went to the nightly entertainment and found entire rows and sections roped off - hours before the entertainment starts?

With the exception of Rocky, this does NOT happen. Rocky and the Rollers are exceptional entertainers. Get to the square by 4 pm, plop yourself in a chair for you and one for your date and ENJOY!!
Old 03-19-2015, 11:46 PM
Sage
Default Petition Against Seat Roping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
When is the last time YOU actually went to the nightly entertainment and found entire rows and sections roped off - hours before the entertainment starts?

With the exception of Rocky, this does NOT happen. Rocky and the Rollers are exceptional entertainers. Get to the square by 4 pm, plop yourself in a chair for you and one for your date and ENJOY!!
Friday. But why does it have to be "hours before the entertainment starts" for it to be an issue?

You go at 4:00 or earlier if you want to. Why are you so insistent that everybody should do it?

Last edited by Polar Bear; 03-20-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

While I don't agree with roping off sections of seats, I think a petition is overkill. It only is a problem on very few nights of the year and when you have been here a while you know bring your own chair or get there early. My biggest gripe is what happened last Tuesday, we got there early and saved 6 chairs in the shade for people coming between 5 and 5 15. At shortly after 5 there were 100 empty chairs and 2 people complained that we were saving chairs. Just too lazy to get their own and find shade. Enforcement of this petition would be a nightmare and I don't think the cops could get involved.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
While I don't agree with roping off sections of seats, I think a petition is overkill. It only is a problem on very few nights of the year and when you have been here a while you know bring your own chair or get there early. My biggest gripe is what happened last Tuesday, we got there early and saved 6 chairs in the shade for people coming between 5 and 5 15. At shortly after 5 there were 100 empty chairs and 2 people complained that we were saving chairs. Just too lazy to get their own and find shade. Enforcement of this petition would be a nightmare and I don't think the cops could get involved.
I think I'm missing something.
You got there early and saved chairs in the shade until your guests arrived and a petition against saving chairs is a bad idea.
Is that right?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.