Petition Against Seat Roping

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Does anyone really believe the Villages Entertainment Division is going to get in a fight with offenders over saving seats? Maybe the OP should petition the Division to begin issuing monetary fines to those offenders who violate their no saving seat policy

This saving seat issue is just hilarious and will never go anywhere .

Nature is as nature does

Suggestion when you go to the square dance a lot, mingle with the people meeting new and old friends and you won't need a seat

That's fine if that's what you want to do. But if you want to go sit and listen to the music, or are not physically able to dance and mingle, then the availability of chairs is critical to you having a good time. They wouldn't sit out chairs if they didn't encourage sitting in them. As for monetary fines, I don't think anyone is suggesting that, but someone to enforce would be nice. Direct the ropers to take down the ropes or leave because they are violating policy is all that is being asked.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:33 PM

I agree
Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 AM
Default I second that motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
I am offering one happy hour priced drink as a reward to anyone who cuts said rope into multiple unusable pieces.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I disagree with this petition.

There is no reason to have more and more rules. Everyone knows for the most popular entertainers to arrive very early and take a seat for yourself and your date. If you find no available chairs and there are "roped off" large sections with no one in them, there is nothing to prevent you from taking one or two of those. There will be no confrontation except maybe a "those are saved". Just sit down anyhow or move them. The person may grouse a bit but nothing more. No physical altercation has ever happened as that would be an assault and would be duly noted in the online paper.

Once again, get there early. You cannot expect to come at 5:00 for Rocky and expect to find empty seats
Sorry, but you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. No matter how you look at roping off seats, it is wrong!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
.... it is a very childish act that should be prohibited; will it ever be? Probably not, but it is good to let voices be heard.
Complaining on TOTV is a waste of time.
The only way voices will be heard is if a significant number of residents mention this as a concern on the Annual Survey.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I agree that roping off seats is wrong and I will back you up.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Complaining on TOTV is a waste of time.
The only way voices will be heard is if residents mention the subject on their Annual Survey.

Making people aware of something on this forum is a way to make people aware and is a great starting point.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:02 AM

I certainly support not saving chairs anywhere. I don't know if they will be even aware of this thread unless you call someone, and even then I don't know if it will do any good. I think if you want to do a survey for the management, the best way would be to go person to person and collect names the old fashioned way. Even if it does no good, I commend you for at least trying to address the situation, that's more than anyone else has done, including myself. Good luck. I personally no longer go to the squares because of overcrowding, and chair saving.

For what it is worth, I would rather just have everyone bring their own seats, and have a limited supply that maybe volunteers could collect a dollar deposit for those people who cannot bring their own chairs. Then when you no longer need the chair, return for your dollar back.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:26 AM
Eternal Member

One last time, people!

Arrive early! The earlier, the better for the most popular entertainers in the snowbird season! Bring your own chairs early. Set them up and sit down.

You cannot expect to arrive at 4:45 for a Rocky or Scooter show and think a seat will be waiting for you. Arrive early!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
One last time, people!

Arrive early! The earlier, the better for the most popular entertainers in the snowbird season! Bring your own chairs early. Set them up and sit down.

You cannot expect to arrive at 4:45 for a Rocky or Scooter show and think a seat will be waiting for you. Arrive early!
All true. But IMO it has little to do with roping off large sections of seats.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
One last time, people!

I think we all understand that, and agree with it. For popular entertainers you have to get there early. But that's not the issue. The issue is someone attempting to rope off and save a block of seats, thus not giving anyone the chance to sit in them even if they arrive early. That's wrong and needs to be stopped. It should be one seat for one person, first come, first served. Under those conditions you're completely right, get there early if you want one, and that includes the gang that hopes to sit in the roped seats.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
One last time, people!

I find it is more convenient to carry a pocket knife to cut the rope to sit in the chair I pay for rather than carrying a chair from the parking lot. Plus my chair would be placed in the back of the crowd and the roped seat would be in the first couple of rows.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Roping is for cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I think we all understand that, and agree with it. For popular entertainers you have to get there early. But that's not the issue. The issue is someone attempting to rope off and save a block of seats, thus not giving anyone the chance to sit in them even if they arrive early. That's wrong and needs to be stopped. It should be one seat for one person, first come, first served. Under those conditions you're completely right, get there early if you want one, and that includes the gang that hopes to sit in the roped seats.
Cedwards38 I agree with you "roping" is for cowboys---not Villagers. Actually, this would be fairly easy to enforce. All you need is a staff person at the Square early and let people know in a nice way that "roping" is not allowed. 99% will comply and the other 1% you call security. Problem solved.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I agree with you but there is no upside for the Villages Entertainment to do this as it potentially puts their employees in a confrontational position with a customer. Roping off seats does not impact revenue or safety and does not violate any laws. I have only seen them enforce "no chairs is the aisles" as this is a safety issue. It is obnoxious behavior but I don't think you will see any changes being made. We always bring our own chairs and get there early if it a group we want to see. In a another month it won't be as much of a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Cedwards38 I agree with you "roping" is for cowboys---not Villagers. Actually, this would be fairly easy to enforce. All you need is a staff person at the Square early and let people know in a nice way that "roping" is not allowed. 99% will comply and the other 1% you call security. Problem solved.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
I disagree with this petition.

There is no reason to have more and more rules. Everyone knows for the most popular entertainers to arrive very early and take a seat for yourself and your date. If you find no available chairs and there are "roped off" large sections with no one in them, there is nothing to prevent you from taking one or two of those. There will be no confrontation except maybe a "those are saved". Just sit down anyhow or move them. The person may grouse a bit but nothing more. No physical altercation has ever happened as that would be an assault and would be duly noted in the online paper.

Once again, get there early. You cannot expect to come at 5:00 for Rocky and expect to find empty seats
So we're supposed to get there at 10:00 am on Market Night with the Real Deal in order to have a seat? Some people are roping off seats as early as 10:00 am.
Do you really think that people should spend all day at the square in order to watch the entertainment?

I think that in this instance a rule, and enforcement of that rule, is very necessary.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.