Petitions

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Default Petitions

There is a petition going around in my neighborhood. I don't agree with 1 of the things on the list. The pressure is they say if you do not say yes then you are saying no.

Bottom line is, I don't want people to do their driveway in designs without The Villages approval. It will lower my home value if someone next to me does 'approved by petition' diamonds then they die or move out and no one buys their home. My neighborhood looks great as it is.

Also, it seems the petition people didn't talk with the villages so some things on it are allowed.

So, first i don't care if my neighbors care if I vote different but really I may. unless there are actual numbers proving my property values will not drop, then its all talk.

Also, being in the situation I am in with the bank I have, I have a legal team. They are spilt.

So, you can call BS on this, and PM me if you do and I will meet with you and set you straight, but I am asking for the true villagers to comment and not troll. Please don't troll.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I don't understand... Don't the deed restrictions spell out what can and can't be done? If so, I doubt any petition would sway the ARC.

Otherwise, just my thoughts--it's not a vote, it's a petition. So how can they say if you don't sign it, you're voting no? That seems like baloney to me. If I didn't agree with part of the petition statement, I wouldn't sign it and not really care if anyone thought I was "voting" no. My other thought is that some people don't sign petitions as a matter of practice. So it sounds like people are being pressured if they're being told such a thing.

It would be interesting if you quoted the petition.

Last edited by CFrance; 03-02-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Veteran member

I am in agreement with you. I would not let anyone pressure me into signing a petition that I did not want to.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
There is a petition going around in my neighborhood. I don't agree with 1 of the things on the list. The pressure is they say if you do not say yes then you are saying no.

Bottom line is, I don't want people to do their driveway in designs without The Villages approval. It will lower my home value if someone next to me does 'approved by petition' diamonds then they die or move out and no one buys their home. My neighborhood looks great as it is.

Also, it seems the petition people didn't talk with the villages so some things on it are allowed.

So, first i don't care if my neighbors care if I vote different but really I may. unless there are actual numbers proving my property values will not drop, then its all talk.

Also, being in the situation I am in with the bank I have, I have a legal team. They are spilt.

So, you can call BS on this, and PM me if you do and I will meet with you and set you straight, but I am asking for the true villagers to comment and not troll. Please don't troll.
I think that's awful. You can't do anything that is governed by the ARC without ARC's permission and you can sign petition's until the cow's come home. If you add something not approved, you will be fined. That is the long and short of it.

I will come over there and hit them all in the mouth for you. Where do you live?? AND.....umm... (Where do you buy brass knuckles?)
Old 03-03-2017, 04:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

So they must be low on signatures with that threat. Do they really think a petition will over ride any arc decision. The only thing we sign up for in our neighborhood is where the next driveway party is
Old 03-03-2017, 06:09 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Your neighbors would hate me. I don't sign petitions. Not for love, money or principles.

Do your neighbors not understand they have deed restrictions? So far as I know, there really isn't an appeal process. If ARC says no, it's no. I'm sure you could resubmit with modifications. From what I've seen, ARC does try to accommodate homeowners.

BTW, I really don't see how a painted driveway affects property values. It is a cosmetic thing and can be removed.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-03-2017, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:

This part sounds more interesting than Sherwin Williams making an appearance to your hood.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:23 AM

Petitions do no good if you don't like it here, you can POLITELY suggest to people passing around the petitions, that you moved here so there could be regulations so the properties could be maintained properly.OTHERWISE you might think one gazing ball looks nice BUT your neighbor might think 50 looks better. Hence, DEED RESTRICTIONS!

My only complaint is they are complaint driven. While you can not have anything in your front yard that is not under cover, your back yard is no holds barred. There are many properties that back to heavily driven roads that look awful, OH WELL such is the nature of the beast, I guess if you don't like it don't look.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:36 AM

Maybe the OP lives in a courtyard or patio villa neighborhood? Villa neighborhoods are required to have a 75% approval rate from all homeowners in order to petition the ARC to allow for driveway/walkway painting on the outside of the home. Since we were the first in our neighborhood to want to have the driveway painted, we were responsible for circulating the ARC petition designating the paint colors and gathering the signatures. All villas are required to use the same colors...no designs or borders are allowed...Just plain or speckled paint. It's really not a big deal, you either indicate your approval or you don't. Even if you give your approval, doesn't mean you have to have YOUR driveway painted.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklein9747 View Post
Maybe the OP lives in a courtyard or patio villa neighborhood? Villa neighborhoods are required to have a 75% approval rate from all homeowners in order to petition the ARC to allow for driveway/walkway painting on the outside of the home. Since we were the first in our neighborhood to want to have the driveway painted, we were responsible for circulating the ARC petition designating the paint colors and gathering the signatures. All villas are required to use the same colors...no designs or borders are allowed...Just plain or speckled paint. It's really not a big deal, you either indicate your approval or you don't. Even if you give your approval, doesn't mean you have to have YOUR driveway painted.
This is correct. Plus, the designs are stricly regulated. Basically, they all must look very much the same.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think that's awful. You can't do anything that is governed by the ARC without ARC's permission and you can sign petition's until the cow's come home. If you add something not approved, you will be fined. That is the long and short of it.

I will come over there and hit them all in the mouth for you. Where do you live?? AND.....umm... (Where do you buy brass knuckles?)

Hey GG this may help:

ALL KNUCKLES : Brass Knuckles Company | Call Toll Free 1-888-604-2296
Old 03-04-2017, 12:52 PM

Gg.... Feisty, huh???
Old 03-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

OP, it would help me to respond if I knew what Village you live in. If it's a Courtyard Villa, they are under different rules and deed restrictions because of the closeness of the homes. Whatever is in your deed restrictions will determine your action on this petition.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Gold member

As Nancy Reagan once said, "Just Say No". We all have deed restrictions, which we all must abide by, and no petition is going to change them. If the powers that be allowed significant deviations to the deed restrictions, they would opening themselves up to lawsuits. So I don't think you have a problem.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:

You know I always say if you're not comfortable with the petition & you live next door or close, very nicely tell the person passing the petition around I don't feel comfortable about it. You're the one that has to look at their driveway ever day. Also the biggest thing is you might decide to sell you house some day & you really don't want someone putting Mickey Mouses picture in the middle of the drive & as far as "Yes" I want it turned down & "No" I don't want it turn down to me is BS.
Closed Thread

Tags
petition, care, villages, talk, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.