Phishing / Malware Texts

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2021, 02:53 PM

First rule: never provide any human interaction, do not even red button the caller. All the spammers (all automated) seek first is a heartbeat.

Second Rule: texts, swipe left and delete. Texts are for family and friends only.

Third rule: call them back on the land line and have some fun blasting away on them. The annot spam my land line it is always disconnected.

I got rid of an older van. Once that event occurred:
I am flooded with dopey requests to reinstate my warranty ( 22 years old no warranty and no longer owned by me).
Also receive bogus messaging to insure my van.
again it is gone.
From above. They are looking for any keystroke and then whammo, you are plagued by relentless spam.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Put your phone on "do not disturb" EXCEPT for numbers in your contacts list.

IMO the reason getting that you gave you phone number or email address to business that sells all contacts with customers. I suspect this cause I want product that wasn’t available so I let them contact me when it came in stock. Like fool I didn’t read the fine print when it came to privacy. They sold or passed my email on the web. I have since unsubscribed hundreds of company and scammer emails I didn’t sign up for. My junk box average 100 plus daily. At least you can block the number on you’re phone, but they have ways around that. Now if I don’t know who sending email’s or who calls me I immediately send it to junk or block call. Maybe before I die I’ll get rid of all scam/junk. fat change of that!

Not direct at you, I responded to wrong person and not the OP. Sorry.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 10-19-2021 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Wrong person
Old 10-19-2021, 05:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,706 Times in 761 Posts

You mail. Free cell app. Helps reduce spam calls
Old 10-19-2021, 05:57 PM
Veteran member

I use Verizon. Their spam blocker has been doing a great job of flagging calls and texts as "Potential Spam."
Old 10-20-2021, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdburns11 View Post
One more option is the National Do Not Call Registry from the Federal Trade Commission,… fairly convenient, easy & free to sign up — I don’t know that’s it’s 100% fool proof as I still occasionally get one here or there, but not many.

I tried to copy the link but it wouldn’t let me — so I would google “National Do Not Call Registry (or) Registration”

Respectfully, D Burns
Far from an expert but the do not call registry, you need to report people who call. I think few bother to take that step. I believe they issue fines to people who keep calling.
Years ago I used to get calls from a hotel/motel. I reported them many times. He called me on a different number and told me I should block this number. I told him it is not my job to do their job. They stopped the calls on their end.

Today, these scam artists seem to be able to easily change numbers. It seems a survey is legal. I've gotten calls, saying I'm doing a survey if you are happy with your insurance coverage.

I get few of these calls. I think having deliberately driven these people crazy, I've graduated to the this guy is a nut, a waste of time to call him list.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Far from an expert but the do not call registry, you need to report people who call. I think few bother to take that step. I believe they issue fines to people who keep calling.
Years ago I used to get calls from a hotel/motel. I reported them many times. He called me on a different number and told me I should block this number. I told him it is not my job to do their job. They stopped the calls on their end.

Today, these scam artists seem to be able to easily change numbers. It seems a survey is legal. I've gotten calls, saying I'm doing a survey if you are happy with your insurance coverage.

I get few of these calls. I think having deliberately driven these people crazy, I've graduated to the this guy is a nut, a waste of time to call him list.
Here in UK the boogers relay through legit numbers from their lairs in India etc.
Getting harder to stop them all, as the call centers always seem to be in front of the block-call technology.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO the reason getting that you gave you phone number or email address to business that sells all contacts with customers. I suspect this cause I want product that wasn’t available so I let them contact me when it came in stock. Like fool I didn’t read the fine print when it came to privacy. They sold or passed my email on the web. I have since unsubscribed hundreds of company and scammer emails I didn’t sign up for. My junk box average 100 plus daily. At least you can block the number on you’re phone, but they have ways around that. Now if I don’t know who sending email’s or who calls me I immediately send it to junk or block call. Maybe before I die I’ll get rid of all scam/junk. fat change of that!

Not direct at you, I responded to wrong person and not the OP. Sorry.
I would be lost without my computer but the price is your privacy. Without realizing it,
we give up tons of what we think is, should be private information. Big brother is watching you. Research anything, say lawn fertilizer and you will be hit with ads for lawn fertilizer. Look up yourself. You will be shocked at how much information is out on you.

Amusing, there is something called SPOKEO. On surveys, I never give correct information. Spokeo had me listed as being roughly 150 years old, with more money than Warren Buffet. I looked recently. It now lists my aunt as the only person that I know. She must have adjusted the information. I don't have the heart to tell her but she does not know my birth date. All charities, etc say they do not sell your contact information. Try misspelling your name and you can easily track who they have sold your contact information to.

Everyone you call, everything you buy on credit card, all assets under your social security number, it is required information, is all information that can be researched legally and not.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Here in UK the boogers relay through legit numbers from their lairs in India etc.
Getting harder to stop them all, as the call centers always seem to be in front of the block-call technology.
As I stated, I've made the do not call this guy he is nuts list. How to do it. When they call you want to keep them on the line as long as possible. These people are forced to make so many calls per hour. It can be fun. I'm glad you called I am interested in your ???????
Hold on I'm in the process of making mom's secret tomato sauce I just need to stir it.
If, they offer to call you back, you repeat, please hold on, I'm very interested. When, you get back you ask them to start over again. Then you ask them to hold because you think it needs more salt. You ask them if they think it needs a bit more salt. You can go on to pepper, oregano etc. My record so far is 3x before they finally realize and hang up.

Teasing a little but if you make 4-5 perhaps they will ask if you know that nut in Florida.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
. I have since unsubscribed hundreds of company and scammer emails I didn’t sign up for. My junk box average 100 plus daily. .
The more "scam and spam" you UNSUBSCRIBE to the more you will get. Guaranteed. You should NEVER unsubscribe to spam because all it does is confirm you are "real" and you will exponentially get more and more. If you are referring just to places you actually have dealt with that WILL work most of the time, but real spam ..... don't unsubscribe.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdburns11 View Post
One more option is the National Do Not Call Registry from the Federal Trade Commission,… fairly convenient, easy & free to sign up — I don’t know that’s it’s 100% fool proof as I still occasionally get one here or there, but not many.

I tried to copy the link but it wouldn’t let me — so I would google “National Do Not Call Registry (or) Registration”

Respectfully, D Burns
About 20 years ago that worked. Once call spoofing became available along with internet phone calling (VOIP) , it made that 100% moot.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
click, “hey, so-and-so, multiple, here”

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.