Another burglary

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Default Another burglary

Burglary in Barrineau Villas yesterday in broad daylight. Heard of it second hand through a neighbor so don't have details. Here we go again . . .
Old 03-11-2015, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden guru View Post
Burglary in Barrineau Villas yesterday in broad daylight. Heard of it second hand through a neighbor so don't have details. Here we go again . . .
Where are the Barrineau Villas?
Old 03-11-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Where are the Barrineau Villas?
Villages Of Sumter Barrineau Villas
Old 03-11-2015, 08:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbym View Post
Villages Of Sumter Barrineau Villas

Fernandina.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,999 Times in 2,198 Posts

When we talked to the police after some break-ins in the area they said the pattern is random, but the thieves apparently go in by the sliders. There are several ways to secure these, additional locks, and devices placed in the TOP tracks to stop the sliders from being lifted out. I wrote the attached article to show one approach and also the additional locks.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Do it yourself modification to sliders .pdf (747.3 KB, 190 views)
Old 03-11-2015, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
When we talked to the police after some break-ins in the area they said the pattern is random, but the thieves apparently go in by the sliders. There are several ways to secure these, additional locks, and devices placed in the TOP tracks to stop the sliders from being lifted out. I wrote the attached article to show one approach and also the additional locks.

Hope this helps.
Your article was a real service to all here. Thank you.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:47 AM

Any advice on how to secure french doors?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Villagetinker - you must have different sliders than I do. There is no gap for a block and the slider is flush with the top channel. The only way I could see that they could be lifted out of their tracks is by removing the screwed in bottom channel plates or by opening them past a certain point. I have placed dowels in the track to reinforce the weak lock mechanism
Old 03-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
Villagetinker - you must have different sliders than I do. There is no gap for a block and the slider is flush with the top channel. The only way I could see that they could be lifted out of their tracks is by removing the screwed in bottom channel plates or by opening them past a certain point. I have placed dowels in the track to reinforce the weak lock mechanism
Vladimir,
You are probably correct, there appears to be a variety of components used in the houses over the years. You can try lifting the slider to see if it moves, if not then you are probably good. The Sumter county Sherriff offers a free security review if you are in Sumter county. I was under the impression that all of the sliders could be lifted out as this is the way they were installed, however, there could very well be a version that uses a different installation process. Be sure that the bad guys cannot reverse the installation process and get into your house.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr and mrs bike View Post
Mr and Mrs Bike,

Not a clue, I would call the local police (non emergency number) and ask them, or possibly do a Google search on French Doors and security locks. Interesting question that you pose. All of my thoughts involve additional pieces of wood or metal that would be a pain to install and remove, and not very attractive. There must be a commercial product out there.

VT
Old 03-12-2015, 02:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Mr and Mrs Bike,

Not a clue, I would call the local police (non emergency number) and ask them, or possibly do a Google search on French Doors and security locks. Interesting question that you pose. All of my thoughts involve additional pieces of wood or metal that would be a pain to install and remove, and not very attractive. There must be a commercial product out there.
VT
The only thing that might be helppful besides the lock in the door's handle is to have a keyed deadbolt in addition to the lock in the handle (or knob).

These bad guys are a problem because if they really want to get in, they will simply break the glass.
A strikeplate on the outside is also helpful because it covers the locks.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:02 AM

Amazon sells a security bar that installs in the middle of the slider inside.Some drilling is needed but its not hard to install the cost was 17 bucks.A would be burglar would see this bar and hopefully move on to an easier target.I have 3 sliders in my house so the cost is well worth the peace of mind.As a back up I also have a 100 pound english lab that barks meanly.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:43 AM
Sage

Wonder if the burglary the OP heard second hand was the one referenced last evening on the the online news, about a home care provider from Leesburg who over time had taken $38,000 dollars worth of jewelry and coins from a home in Fernandina. That is the same village as the villa's the OP referenced. Sometimes second hand information is a little off.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr and mrs bike View Post
Yes, go up to the store Entry Point https://www.facebook.com/entrypointbyperrys and ask them about the deadbolt-type locks that can be installed on the doors. A piece goes up into the wall above or down into the threshold to secure the door from being kicked in.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
Ours is the same way. When the man came to install the additional door lock on the slider that Villagetinker has shown in his article, he said we really didn't need it because the doors couldn't be lifted out. Not enough clearance to lift them high enough. He and my husband tried. They are the four stackable sliders, and I don't know if that makes a difference. The house was built in 2011.

We got the lock anyway because the slider lock is so flimsy.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.