Pickle Ball in Tennis Courts?

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2022, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Ever play doubles tennis? Ever get accidentally hit with your partner's racquet? Ever het hit by a 120 mph overhead slam?
No, have never been hit by a partner's racket in doubles. If I were playing with a beginner or a less than experienced partner, I would keep my eye on where they were and keep my distance. As to "ever being hit by overheads".....yes, OFTEN because I was often at the net, but NEVER in the eyes. I would be quick enough to turn my head and shoulders. Getting hit anywhere in the body would never faze me one bit. I played football in high school. And I have gotten hit harder by softballs than tennis balls.
...........I would be MUCH more worried about getting hit by a pickleball in the eye. If I often played pickleball (which I don't.....boring and then there is the childish, "you're in the kitchen rule") .......I would wear sports safety glasses just like racketball players do. Speaking of which, the racketball can hurt when hitting the body much more than a tennis ball.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
No, have never been hit by a partner's racket in doubles. If I were playing with a beginner or a less than experienced partner, I would keep my eye on where they were and keep my distance. As to "ever being hit by overheads".....yes, OFTEN because I was often at the net, but NEVER in the eyes. I would be quick enough to turn my head and shoulders. Getting hit anywhere in the body would never faze me one bit. I played football in high school. And I have gotten hit harder by softballs than tennis balls.
...........I would be MUCH more worried about getting hit by a pickleball in the eye. If I often played pickleball (which I don't.....boring and then there is the childish, "you're in the kitchen rule") .......I would wear sports safety glasses just like racketball players do. Speaking of which, the racketball can hurt when hitting the body much more than a tennis ball.
You suggest wearing "eye protection" when playing pickleball?

Since you don't know, It's required...

Oh, that's right, you've never played... But you profess to be an expert on pickleball injuries...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-02-2022, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I don't see any sense in comparing PB with Tennis in this thread. The point was that there are many more PB players HERE than tennis players and that there are long lines at the PB courts waiting their turn to play. Reason? Folks tend to play in the mornings when it's cooler. Heat can be dangerous as you all know, especially for seniors. The only point referring to tennis courts was the possibility to use them for PB. Since that encroaches on tennis playing, that should be ruled out. The only/ONLY answer is to make more PB courts in areas where PB is the most popular. There seems to be plenty of room to expand at most of these rec centers, IF one does not mind taking a bit of the parking area. How one plays PB compared to how they play tennis and how dangerous one sport is compared to another had nothing to do with the OP's subject of long lines at the PB courts.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I don't see any sense in comparing PB with Tennis in this thread. The point was that there are many more PB players HERE than tennis players and that there are long lines at the PB courts waiting their turn to play. Reason? Folks tend to play in the mornings when it's cooler. Heat can be dangerous as you all know, especially for seniors. The only point referring to tennis courts was the possibility to use them for PB. Since that encroaches on tennis playing, that should be ruled out. The only/ONLY answer is to make more PB courts in areas where PB is the most popular. There seems to be plenty of room to expand at most of these rec centers, IF one does not mind taking a bit of the parking area. How one plays PB compared to how they play tennis and how dangerous one sport is compared to another had nothing to do with the OP's subject of long lines at the PB courts.
Well said.
As a tennis player, it doesn't really matter to me as long as they don't take tennis courts away. But I do realize PB is way more popular now. I think the area where you live matters as well. Not all PB courts are packed. But they should build more where the demand is the highest.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
Well said.
As a tennis player, it doesn't really matter to me as long as they don't take tennis courts away. But I do realize PB is way more popular now. I think the area where you live matters as well. Not all PB courts are packed. But they should build more where the demand is the highest.
The only issue with that is the demand will change over time...

You wind up chasing your tail...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-02-2022, 12:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

Join a pickleball club.
Closed Thread

Tags
pball, courts, tennis, solution, talk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.