Pickle Ball in Tennis Courts?

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2022, 11:09 AM
Veteran member

Not true! You can be good at either or be bad at either. Tennis is much harder on your arm/elbow than Pickleball. You got a long racquet in tennis that puts a lot of strain on your arm/elbow that's why you see strings and racquets made specifically to help ease the pain. I have played many decades in USTA tennis, years of Pickleball, decades of table tennis and decades of racquetball. You really can't say 1 is easier over the other to master.
Playing 2-3 hours of any of these sports, I would say racquetball is more stressing on the body. Smaller court but much faster and you normally play singles. Tennis, most of us now play doubles and most of the players that I've seen here are 3.5 so not much speed or heavy serves.
Pickleball here you have a wide range of players from beginners to 5.0 and most play is doubles.
Also, the click/clack noise of Pickleball comes from a hard ball with a hard paddle, which tennis and racquetball are played with strings and a softer ball. Table tennis you have rubber skins do that deadens the ball sound, but if you go back to sandpaper paddles, you will get a similar noise as Pickleball.
Another benefit of Pickleball is that it is much more fun/socializing to play than the other sports mentioned here. Tennis doesn't provide players to jump in every 11 point game like Pickleball so you normally play with the 4 players you come with. Table tennis and racquetball you are playing singles and if you do rotate, it still isn't a social game as Pickleball.
Old 11-29-2022, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
Easy solution, PB courts are empty most afternoons. Change the time you play.
Tennis courts are empty in the afternoons as well. The reason is the heat. Any court player will not play at 2 pm or on in July. Changing the time you play is not a viable option in the afternoon heat. People play pickleball and tennis in the morning and golf after that, as golf is not as enervating as running around a court under hot sun.

Rohan's head is in the clouds if he thinks there are enough pickleball courts in TV. Hopefully after Brady & friends build their PB center on 466 (at $1K+ dues per year), many people will opt for that, opening up some space for others, especially in the 7-9 am spot.

They could go to a reservation system the way they do in golf. But they don't seem interested in providing that service, even if people paid a monthly fee like they do for golf. What a money-maker: install software and sit back.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Well the new private pickleball courts are coming. The last tennis player I saw was hitting the ball off roof of the rec center and into the pool
Old 11-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Default More pb courts

The courts are pretty empty in the afternoon. If you know if courts available in the am during open play, it would be mice to tell others.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

I was a ranked tennis player who once played David Wheaten who played singles and doubles on the tour and at Wimbledon. And I gave tennis lessons. So I have a resume in tennis that gives me some expertise. And I know several Villagers that had to give up pickleball because of wrist injuries brought about by the "wristy" aspects of pickleball. Most arm injuries brought about by both tennis and pickleball are because of the use of the one-hand backhand, which is 100% of the time for pickleball.

Also, physics and common sense come into play. Because it just makes sense that a racket with a shorter handle is MORE likely to be swung in a "whippy" fashion - thus breaking the wrist MORE and causing MORE injuries. Also, the greater NOISE of a hard plastic pickleball hitting an INFEXIBLE pickle racket versus the SOFT sound of a rubber-based tennis ball hitting a STRINGED TENNIS RACKET - PROVES the greater INJURY potential of pickleball.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Pickleball and tennis are two fundamentally different games--about as different as, say, soccer and hockey. The goal of both may be the same--score by getting the puck or ball into your opponent's net--but the similarity pretty much ends there. The games require fundamentally different skill sets, just like pickleball and tennis.

My wife and I are avid tennis players. We still play, particularly on the har-tru courts at Lopez. We've managed to remain pretty much injury-free over the years, but we've both known tennis players, some much younger than us, who have tried to play pickleball and have suffered some serious arm, shoulder and back issues as a result. Hitting a tennis ball is pretty different than hitting that whiffleball in pickleball games.
That is the same point that I was making. Pickleball is an easy game to learn, but it is an INJURY TRAP for seniors. Playing on a Har-Tru clay tennis surface is way easier on the ankles and knees than hard court (like all pickleball courts here), but it is expensive because of high maintenance costs. Pickleball can't be played on a clay surface because the PLASTIC ball would NOT bounce up. Pickleball can be played as they do up north in the winter on WOOD basketball courts. My suggestion to TV Land seniors is that they forget pickleball and play soft tennis, which is played on a pickleball-sized court. It is a better game than pickleball and has fewer arm injuries.
........Also, as a suggestion, The Villages could make clay tennis courts out of the yellow clay used for the softball field infields and let the tennis players maintain them. It would be worth trying.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I was a ranked tennis player who once played David Wheaten who played singles and doubles on the tour and at Wimbledon. And I gave tennis lessons. So I have a resume in tennis that gives me some expertise. And I know several Villagers that had to give up pickleball because of wrist injuries brought about by the "wristy" aspects of pickleball. Most arm injuries brought about by both tennis and pickleball are because of the use of the one-hand backhand, which is 100% of the time for pickleball.

Also, physics and common sense come into play. Because it just makes sense that a racket with a shorter handle is MORE likely to be swung in a "whippy" fashion - thus breaking the wrist MORE and causing MORE injuries. Also, the greater NOISE of a hard plastic pickleball hitting an INFEXIBLE pickle racket versus the SOFT sound of a rubber-based tennis ball hitting a STRINGED TENNIS RACKET - PROVES the greater INJURY potential of pickleball.
I saw some recent data that bears this out.

Aside from arm/wrist injuries, there is a significant danger in pickleball by being hit with the ball. A lot of those exchanges are pretty close quarters and with diminished reflexes a ball to the face could cause an injury. Also there are significant injuries in pickleball caused by people running into each other, falling, etc. Aside from the occasional ball in the face (especially in doubles) I would say that the other injuries mentioned are VERY rare in tennis.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:

Then they're playing wrong... I also played competitive tennis. You use much more wrist in tennis than in pickleball...

The "SOUND" the ball makes PROVES there is a greater injury potential?

-Tom Petty
Old 11-29-2022, 02:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
That is the same point that I was making. Pickleball is an easy game to learn, but it is an INJURY TRAP for seniors. Playing on a Har-Tru clay tennis surface is way easier on the ankles and knees than hard court (like all pickleball courts here), but it is expensive because of high maintenance costs. Pickleball can't be played on a clay surface because the PLASTIC ball would NOT bounce up. Pickleball can be played as they do up north in the winter on WOOD basketball courts. My suggestion to TV Land seniors is that they forget pickleball and play soft tennis, which is played on a pickleball-sized court. It is a better game than pickleball and has fewer arm injuries.
........Also, as a suggestion, The Villages could make clay tennis courts out of the yellow clay used for the softball field infields and let the tennis players maintain them. It would be worth trying.
ANY new sport is an injury trap for seniors...

And you expect those same seniors to maintain clay courts?

Once again,

-Tom Petty
Old 11-29-2022, 02:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I saw some recent data that bears this out.

Aside from arm/wrist injuries, there is a significant danger in pickleball by being hit with the ball. A lot of those exchanges are pretty close quarters and with diminished reflexes a ball to the face could cause an injury. Also there are significant injuries in pickleball caused by people running into each other, falling, etc. Aside from the occasional ball in the face (especially in doubles) I would say that the other injuries mentioned are VERY rare in tennis.
Ever play doubles tennis? Ever get accidentally hit with your partner's racquet? Ever het hit by a 120 mph overhead slam?

-Tom Petty
Old 11-29-2022, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Not true! You can be good at either or be bad at either. Tennis is much harder on your arm/elbow than Pickleball. You got a long racquet in tennis that puts a lot of strain on your arm/elbow that's why you see strings and racquets made specifically to help ease the pain. I have played many decades in USTA tennis, years of Pickleball, decades of table tennis and decades of racquetball. You really can't say 1 is easier over the other to master.
Playing 2-3 hours of any of these sports, I would say racquetball is more stressing on the body. Smaller court but much faster and you normally play singles. Tennis, most of us now play doubles and most of the players that I've seen here are 3.5 so not much speed or heavy serves.
Pickleball here you have a wide range of players from beginners to 5.0 and most play is doubles.
Also, the click/clack noise of Pickleball comes from a hard ball with a hard paddle, which tennis and racquetball are played with strings and a softer ball. Table tennis you have rubber skins do that deadens the ball sound, but if you go back to sandpaper paddles, you will get a similar noise as Pickleball.
Another benefit of Pickleball is that it is much more fun/socializing to play than the other sports mentioned here. Tennis doesn't provide players to jump in every 11 point game like Pickleball so you normally play with the 4 players you come with. Table tennis and racquetball you are playing singles and if you do rotate, it still isn't a social game as Pickleball.
Some of what is said in this post I consider to be true. I would humbly add that tennis players with a 2 handed backhand rarely have arm problems. And one-handed backhand players with excellent technique rarely have arm problems. It is the one-handed beginners and players with the bad techniques that experience arm problems. Also, stiff tennis rackets are bad for seniors.

Now, as far as pickleball being the most sociable of the 4 racket sports mentioned (note we have left out badminton, which has great popularity worldwide). A player can play any of the racket sports in a "hit and giggle"
manner or in a super serious manner. It's NOT the game, it is the attitude. And I am NOT knocking the "hit and giggle" concept, especially for seniors. I have seen too many people of all ages get TOO serious and TENSE when playing, especially singles.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Ever play doubles tennis? Ever get accidentally hit with your partner's racquet? Ever het hit by a 120 mph overhead slam?
Yes.

No (I have pretty quick reflexes and my partner(s) pretty much know what they're doing)

Once. Can't vouch for the speed of the slam but I caught it on the shoulder. Had a red mark for a day or two.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Beach/Sand Tennis, Platform Tennis and Touch Tennis on the platform courts are other options.

Beach Tennis is similar to Badminton but with paddle and delayed tennis ball. And the sand make things safer.

The platform courts are good for drilling Pickleball.

There are Pickleball paddle/ball combinations that make much less noise than traditional products.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:32 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
45 years of tennis. Hit by the ball many times. Hit by others rackets a few but many times I hit myself with the follow thru with my racket. Many aches, pains and injuries. I sure do miss playing.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reston Easy View Post
We need more pball courts~plain and simple. All the pball courts have lines of people waiting to play, even in the off season.

One solution is to change some of the tennis courts over to pball. The tennis courts are usuallu pretty empty.
Everyone has heard by now that pball is the fastest growing sport in America. It's only going to get more crowded here.
My question is who can we talk to about this problem and about this solution? Does anyone know who we talk to?
Thanks in advance for your time and your suggestions.
Good luck junior member. This has been proposed many times. The official response from the recreation department is that they can't remove an existing amenity. I don't think they want to hear the yelling from the tennis players.

Tags
pball, courts, tennis, solution, talk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.