Pickle Ball in Tennis Courts?

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2022, 06:18 AM
Veteran member

Easy solution, PB courts are empty most afternoons. Change the time you play.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
It’s not uncommon to duel purpose courts. Our beach club in Rhode Island included pickle ball on two of four Tennis courts by including pickle ball lines on two of the courts plan on expanding to remaining two courts 2023 season everyone seems to be happy
That seems to be a good solution until they build more pickleball courts. The one small issue with using the tennis courts is having to set up a removable pickleball net, and it crowds the court with many lines. But I do think it would help.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:38 AM
Default Empty pickleball courts?

I have been here 1 year and have noticed a lack of use on many pickleball courts. I assume the lines are at courts north of 466 because in other areas courts sit empty except when scheduled leagues are playing which seems to be in the mornings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reston Easy View Post
We need more pball courts~plain and simple. All the pball courts have lines of people waiting to play, even in the off season.

One solution is to change some of the tennis courts over to pball. The tennis courts are usuallu pretty empty.
Everyone has heard by now that pball is the fastest growing sport in America. It's only going to get more crowded here.
My question is who can we talk to about this problem and about this solution? Does anyone know who we talk to?
Thanks in advance for your time and your suggestions.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:54 AM
Default Pickle ball courts

I don’t play any court games BUT I do notice the courts in Eisenhower “empty” at least half of the day. I also noticed the same in other centers.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,661 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
Lopez tennis courts little use but TV pays for ALL night bright lights..not necessary. Why not convert just a couple??
The courts at Lopez are all Har-Tru, not hard surface. The only other Har-Tru courts are at Glenview. Players pay an additional fee aside from their amenity fee to play there. They are a source of extra income for TV. Many of the more serious players utilize these courts as they are much easier on the knees than hard surface. Trying to get them repurposed for pickleball is not only false economy but is a guarantee that as whole lot of people who play on them on a regular basis would be VERY put out.

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 11-29-2022 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:15 AM

Unused tennis courts may quickly be converted to temporary pickleball courts by putting down painters tape at the exact
pickleball court dimensions. This will not damage the tennis courts and may be removed after pb play. The small difference in net height shouldn't diminish recreational play enjoyment.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:28 AM
Default Tape and chalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collector0915 View Post
Unused tennis courts may quickly be converted to temporary pickleball courts by putting down painters tape at the exact
pickleball court dimensions. This will not damage the tennis courts and may be removed after pb play. The small difference in net height shouldn't diminish recreational play enjoyment.
That leads to another problem…Pickleball players marking up other courts with either chalk or tape. This is dangerous, as the chalk leaves a slippery area, and tape (of any kind) leaves a sticky residue. And no, don’t tell me painters tape doesn’t leave a sticky residue.

Don’t just think of yourselves, think of the potential injuries to others, due to your actions.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:18 AM
Default Quiet Tennis

Any residents living along side tennis courts never hear the tennis players. Many pickle ball courts are full at 7:00/8:00 AM and the neighbors definitely will hear that activity full time until noon. They will agree with Mr. Rohan.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
We need more pball courts~plain and simple. All the pball courts have lines of people waiting to play, even in the off season.

One solution is to change some of the tennis courts over to pball. The tennis courts are usuallu pretty empty.
Everyone has heard by now that pball is the fastest growing sport in America. It's only going to get more crowded here.
My question is who can we talk to about this problem and about this solution? Does anyone know who we talk to?

I have no problem getting on a court in mid-afternoon.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:32 AM
Default Court Time Reservations

Why not use a scheduling program similar to what is used for golfing? The executive courses are way over used, but with the point system "most" are able to get tee times.

I'm also one who has seen many "empty" courts throughout the day. You may have to be a little more flexible with your times.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

The reason for long lines in the morning is that the temps are cooler. Do you want seniors keeling over and dropping dead in the afternoon when the temps can be in the 90's? Of course, it is more sensible to play in the cooler mornings. Having more courts would help the lines in the morning. PB has become a very popular sport for those that are not more adept at other sports. It is easy and fun to play and really great for improving one's reflexes. Just about every rec center I have played at, has had lines in the morning. Just about every rec center I have passed in the hot afternoons has been empty. Not much can be done to change the heat. At least folks will play a game, move off the court and wait in line so that others can play. Otherwise, you would have to wait forever before someone would leave and you could play. The answer is more courts, and most rec centers have sufficient property to add more courts.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Districtgov.org
Old 11-28-2022, 09:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,177 Times in 758 Posts

Play in the afternoon when the clubs are done, mostly after 6 pm in the summer.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Everybody who complains about lines is usually talking about morning play, both tennis and pb. I play pb multiple times a day and you can always get a court after 12 but nobody wants to play in the afternoons, we do. I also know of courts that don’t have anybody playing in the mornings, some mornings 0 players, some mornings 1 court being used, and some mornings all courts being used.

If somebody wanted to suggest to change a tennis court in multiple tennis courts, TV should demand that somebody visit those tennis courts every morning for a few weeks to make sure they don’t fill up and then you can make a case. Just like TV can drive by any pb after noon and say there are over a hundred open courts, just play then
Old 11-28-2022, 10:41 AM

This is true with the popular PBall courts, such as Eisenhower, Seabreeze, Lake Miona, Rohan, Big Cypress but others (Homestead, Ezell, Coconut Cove, Aviary, Bradenton, etc) have no lines and many have no players with at least 6 empty courts. IMO it would be nice to either build additional PBall courts at the busy places (even 2-3 more would do) or reline the tennis courts.

Tags
pball, courts, tennis, solution, talk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.