Pickle ball theft

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2018, 07:24 AM
Default Pickle ball theft

We were at Miona the other day playing P ball., The rec center guy brings out some balls and tells us he brought out 40 new balls over two days. Where did they all go?
Old 03-25-2018, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Look inside garages and you might get a peek at yellow plastic balls full of holes tied on a string about windshield height. One of the entitlements of paying your amenities fee.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Look inside garages and you might get a peek at yellow plastic balls full of holes tied on a string about windshield height. One of the entitlements of paying your amenities fee.
I remember when it was tennis balls. They were old and needed to be retired. Maybe the same with pickleball balls.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Maybe the high level of play at they are breaking the balls? The balls crack, even the small crack causes bad bounce. But, they should be in the trash can? Now if there are no balls in the trash cans then we might suspect a sticking finger villager?
Old 03-25-2018, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Pickleballs crack, they only last several games and rarely last over few days. Probably no theft going one. Pickleball balls courts are full during winter most of the day especially in open play times. When you got 20 to 30 deep waiting to get on courts. Balls crack faster than summer months. Also cool mornings are cracking balls sooner than normal.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I remember when it was tennis balls. They were old and needed to be retired. Maybe the same with pickleball balls.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Pressurized tennis balls last about 3 weeks, then they go flat if you can't hit hard enough to knock the fuss off them in three or four sets.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
We were at Miona the other day playing P ball., The rec center guy brings out some balls and tells us he brought out 40 new balls over two days. Where did they all go?
I have seen times when there are more cracked balls available than good ones. People usually just throw the cracked ones in the trash. There is a thicker ball that is less susceptible to cracking made by Onix and other companies but they aren't legal for tournament play. The Villages buys the Dura Fast 40's instead because they are legal in tournament play. Unfortunately, they are also more susceptible to cracking.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:01 AM
Sage

If the usage rate is so high why is our amenity fees providing the balls. Seems like a consumable the way it is being described here. TV does not supply me with golf balls. Perhaps there should be a seperate fee like the trail pass.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
If the usage rate is so high why is our amenity fees providing the balls. Seems like a consumable the way it is being described here. TV does not supply me with golf balls. Perhaps there should be a seperate fee like the trail pass.
No, but it supplies you with several courses and tee boxes and interlinking MMP. After all you get free golf for life.

Now pickleball balls, I am surprised too the balls are provided. They saved ton of putting up 6 foot wind screens. So beings other sports has to suffer high standards don't need several tee off boxes, one will due, cost of grass upkeep way too high, Can laid down indoor carpet to tee off on.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
No, but it supplies you with several courses and tee boxes and interlinking MMP. After all you get free golf for life.

Now pickleball balls, I am surprised too the balls are provided. They saved ton of putting up 6 foot wind screens. So beings other sports has to suffer high standards don't need several tee off boxes, one will due, cost of grass upkeep way too high, Can laid down indoor carpet to tee off on.
I'm not complaining. I'm glad TV supplies us with all the amenities. It is an obvious a major sales feature. My question is if pickle ball replacement rates are so high why should they not be funded by the users ? Let's try this. Does TV supply softballs at the baseball diamonds or is there a league fee the players pay which includes the purchase of baseballs ? I can see shuffle board, horseshoes, etc - those type things are used over and over I.E. not consumed.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:59 PM
Veteran member

Tennis balls are also provided. However I haven’t run across a group that likes to play with very used tennis balls, so we tend to bring our own, use them twice, and donate them to the baskets of provided tennis balls.

I do know people who show up with their own pickle balls if they are playing with a foursome or small group they know. The snag lies in open play, where lines of folks that may not know each other are thrown together in short games, only to then get back in line and end up with another set of opponents and partners. At that point, keeping track of personal balls becomes an issue.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

The dura fast 40s don't last long at all. When we get a new ball and play for two hours, it's pretty much shot. When it cracks, we stomp on it and throw it in the trash so nobody else plays a bad game due to a bad ball.

Way back when, in pickleball 101, we were told that in the wintertime, "the pickle balls grow legs."

I don't see very many new balls being put out in the summer.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:32 PM
Veteran member

In 2016 @Saddlebrook Pickleball Courts...one of the regular players noticed a guy walking off with two bags of Pickleballs that had just been put out.

The fellow jotted down the description of the motor vehicle and license plate number, reported it to the inside desk person who then called the police.

The individual who " Allegedly " took the Pickleballs was nabbed on Buena Vista and CR 42....the person just happened to be from Stonecrest .
Old 03-26-2018, 05:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
In 2016 @Saddlebrook Pickleball Courts...one of the regular players noticed a guy walking off with two bags of Pickleballs that had just been put out.

The fellow jotted down the description of the motor vehicle and license plate number, reported it to the inside desk person who then called the police.

The individual who " Allegedly " took the Pickleballs was nabbed on Buena Vista and CR 42....the person just happened to be from Stonecrest .
I'll bet his balls are in a pickle now
Old 03-26-2018, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Tennis balls are also provided. However I haven’t run across a group that likes to play with very used tennis balls, so we tend to bring our own, use them twice, and donate them to the baskets of provided tennis balls.

I do know people who show up with their own pickle balls if they are playing with a foursome or small group they know. The snag lies in open play, where lines of folks that may not know each other are thrown together in short games, only to then get back in line and end up with another set of opponents and partners. At that point, keeping track of personal balls becomes an issue.

Are you talking about the flat old tennis balls in the equipment shack? Those balls haven't been replaced for years. So there not spending money in tennis balls that's for sure.
Closed Thread

Tags
balls, ball, brought, tells, days

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.