Citizens First Credit Card Hacked

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2020, 08:23 PM
Default Citizens First Credit Card Hacked

Just discovered three unauthorized charges on my Citizens First credit card account. Must have been hacked!!!!!
Old 10-26-2020, 08:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadad View Post
Just discovered three unauthorized charges on my Citizens First credit card account. Must have been hacked!!!!!
They didn’t call or text you? Shameful. Chase always sends a text immediately when there is a suspicious charge going through.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadad View Post
Our Citizens First debit card was hacked a couple of months ago. We had only used it one time since we have had it. Luckily I check our accounts every day and caught it while it was still pending. I never did hear what their investigation uncovered. Not sure if it was an inside job or a hack 😒
Old 10-26-2020, 09:37 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Careful out there!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-27-2020, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patball View Post
Our Citizens First debit card was hacked a couple of months ago. We had only used it one time since we have had it. Luckily I check our accounts every day and caught it while it was still pending. I never did hear what their investigation uncovered. Not sure if it was an inside job or a hack
The way to prevent this is to log in online and set up an alert for every transaction over a specified amount, like 5 dollars or so. Then, you will get an immediate email or text whenever a transaction is made on your credit card. Checking your account every day is not nearly often enough. You could easily miss 10 or 20 fraudulent charges that way. Also, there is basically no difference between a pending charge and a processed charge as far as the bank is concerned.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 10-27-2020 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,898 Times in 913 Posts

thieves' job is to figure out how to get around security systems. so their hacks are relatively small transactions and mostly online crap to resell for cash, or to create online streaming accounts to resell passwords. Many transactions get by the nuisance threshold of most banks these days, so the banks are forcing you to be the security system for the nuisance charges.

A MA colleague had his debit card stolen, and then had a mule in AZ go into a local bank branch, and withdraw cash, on camera, with fake identification. That took a while to get restitution.

So the choice is using a debit card or a credit card? Debit has pos passcode to your bank accounts and credit has the 3/4 digit number on the back for your online verification.

my personal security system is a credit card with minimum limit, not allowed to be raised, which online states $500. Actual limit is $1,000 (grandfather issue) I use that card everywhere. i only use a debit card for cash at banks' ATMs in network. I also have a large credit card with $20K limit from the 90's when i was using it a lot, but now only on large purchases which hasn't happened in years.

Then limit the vendor storage of your credit card for monthly subscriptions. use your bank's push to vendor payment system, and not allowing your vendor to pull from your account. Finally, use the freeze card feature on your bank card when you aren't using it, with your smart app. Also, checking account balances should be as low as possible, there is no need for more than maybe $2,000 for monthly purchases, after mortgage, if you have one. After mortgage payment, i move excess over $2K to savings/investment account and live on that for the month. Just limits the debit card cash drain if i get hit.

Then you will have less number exposure in the commercial world to have the number stolen, online and otherwise.

I use cash whenever possible now, as the miles are't worth the exposure since we aren't traveling by air anytime soon. Our trips keep getting cancelled with intl border issues and quarantine issues.

read Threatpost | The first stop for security news every once in awhile to get an idea of what is happening in the hack world. BTW, hospitals are a high value target, so keep your debit cards out of those systems, and dr's don't need your social security number

fortunately i haven't been hacked in many, many years but i am sure its coming!

good luck, its a constant battle out there!
Old 10-27-2020, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
thieves' job is to figure out how to get around security systems. so their hacks are relatively small transactions and mostly online crap to resell for cash, or to create online streaming accounts to resell passwords. Many transactions get by the nuisance threshold of most banks these days, so the banks are forcing you to be the security system for the nuisance charges.

A MA colleague had his debit card stolen, and then had a mule in AZ go into a local bank branch, and withdraw cash, on camera, with fake identification. That took a while to get restitution.

So the choice is using a debit card or a credit card? Debit has pos passcode to your bank accounts and credit has the 3/4 digit number on the back for your online verification.

my personal security system is a credit card with minimum limit, not allowed to be raised, which online states $500. Actual limit is $1,000 (grandfather issue) I use that card everywhere. i only use a debit card for cash at banks' ATMs in network. I also have a large credit card with $20K limit from the 90's when i was using it a lot, but now only on large purchases which hasn't happened in years.

Then limit the vendor storage of your credit card for monthly subscriptions. use your bank's push to vendor payment system, and not allowing your vendor to pull from your account. Finally, use the freeze card feature on your bank card when you aren't using it, with your smart app. Also, checking account balances should be as low as possible, there is no need for more than maybe $2,000 for monthly purchases, after mortgage, if you have one. After mortgage payment, i move excess over $2K to savings/investment account and live on that for the month. Just limits the debit card cash drain if i get hit.

Then you will have less number exposure in the commercial world to have the number stolen, online and otherwise.

I use cash whenever possible now, as the miles are't worth the exposure since we aren't traveling by air anytime soon. Our trips keep getting cancelled with intl border issues and quarantine issues.

read Threatpost | The first stop for security news every once in awhile to get an idea of what is happening in the hack world. BTW, hospitals are a high value target, so keep your debit cards out of those systems, and dr's don't need your social security number

fortunately i haven't been hacked in many, many years but i am sure its coming!

good luck, its a constant battle out there!
Good advice, thanks. When our bank contacted us concerning odd charges on our debit card we called the bank and confirmed that those were not our purchases. Oddly, we had never used the debit cards. The bank canceled the cards and offered to send out new ones. We declined to get new cards and only use credit cards.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:16 AM

Skimmers are a serious problem. I always purchase prepaid gas cards at grocery stores so that I can't be skimmed at gas stations.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:54 AM
Sage

A few months ago, my Citizen's debit card was compromised. I get weekly statements (which I check) and I randomly, otherwise, check it too. Anyway, I called the bank immediately and they took care of things. The minor inconvenience was to wait a few days for my new card. NOT sure who/where this compromise happened. I use my card for local shopping (grocery and regular stores) only. Thieves have their ways.

My Citi-card got compromised a few weeks later---this time using 2 small (very small) purchases to test run. I caught this too and another few days of waiting. Seems like these things happen all too frequently. I do, do on-line shopping so that's the "rub". Hackers are always out there prowling around.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,135 Times in 880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The way to prevent this is to log in online and set up an alert for every transaction over a specified amount, like 5 dollars or so. Then, you will get an immediate email or text whenever a transaction is made on your credit card. Checking your account every day is not nearly often enough. You could easily miss 10 or 20 fraudulent charges that way. Also, there is basically no difference between a pending charge and a processed charge as far as the bank is concerned.
Great idea.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:33 AM

inside job. cancel the card and get an amex
Old 10-28-2020, 08:25 AM
Default Desoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
Good advice, thanks. When our bank contacted us concerning odd charges on our debit card we called the bank and confirmed that those were not our purchases. Oddly, we had never used the debit cards. The bank canceled the cards and offered to send out new ones. We declined to get new cards and only use credit cards.
Why is it terrible down there?
Old 10-28-2020, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

I use an AMEX credit card when I travel. I was in Virginia at a gas station using my card, and the pump screen said to see cashier. I tried it again, and while doing so, my wife got a call from AMEX asking if she was using her card. She said "yes" and I was able to fill my tank. Now that's quick! There's no reason why any credit card company can do that.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltma View Post
Why is it terrible down there?
It’s a joke. Too many people think we are crazy for buying down here. I’m poking fun at them.😂
Old 10-28-2020, 09:57 AM

I have SunTrust and I get a text within seconds of a charge on my debit and/or my credit card.
Closed Thread

Tags
citizens, credit, card, hacked, discovered

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.