Pickleball 100 PB100 on court lesson I CANNOT recommend

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2020, 11:58 AM
Default Pickleball 100 PB100 on court lesson I CANNOT recommend

The attitude of the senior instructors was horrible. They talked like they were scolding us. Just like in the PB100 video on Youtube that you are supposed to watch.

The four of us guys were trying our best to play and learn, and we just kept getting scolded. Just when we were on to understanding something, the instructor would start talking about some higher level nuance to show how knowledgeable they were.

Total confusion, combined with the scolding attitudes were a failure and I almost walked off.

My advice is to find a group of friendly people that want to learn, watch some Youtube videos on the gameplay, stretch out, be careful and have some fun.

DO NOT take the PB100 on court class.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:27 PM

I couldn’t disagree more. My hubs, brother, sister in law and I have all taken these classes. The instructors, who are all volunteering their time, were knowledgeable and really helpful. We all felt they played on your strengths and helped where needed. We went at different times, had different instructors and all of us would highly recommend. Learning from friendly players is good but only after you’ve learned the basics. The classes are very concerned with safe and fun play.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
The attitude of the senior instructors was horrible. They talked like they were scolding us. Just like in the PB100 video on Youtube that you are supposed to watch.

The four of us guys were trying our best to play and learn, and we just kept getting scolded. Just when we were on to understanding something, the instructor would start talking about some higher level nuance to show how knowledgeable they were.

Total confusion, combined with the scolding attitudes were a failure and I almost walked off.

My advice is to find a group of friendly people that want to learn, watch some Youtube videos on the gameplay, stretch out, be careful and have some fun.

DO NOT take the PB100 on court class.
Why not contact...
Recreation Administration
984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162

Phone: 352-674-1800
Old 10-14-2020, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Why not contact...
Recreation Administration
984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162

Phone: 352-674-1800
I don’t think rec department manages the instruction just the court times?
Old 10-14-2020, 04:26 PM
Veteran member

I watched the videos and learned practically nothing. That put a damper on my going any further with the sport. I might try to find a like group of beginners to learn with.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:46 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

I took all three of the classes (before the format was changed) and felt like all three were worthwhile. The instructors are volunteers and change from time to time. Some are great and some are just good. I appreciated each and every one of them.

It's not always good to have very experienced players teaching raw beginners in ANY activity. It takes a rare individual to be able to relate and keep the instruction at the correct level. The ones that can are in huge demand.

Stay with it, keep a "teach me " attitude, and go to the next level. PB is addicting when you get past the overwhelming startup.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 10-14-2020, 06:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
I took all three of the classes (before the format was changed) and felt like all three were worthwhile. The instructors are volunteers and change from time to time. Some are great and some are just good. I appreciated each and every one of them.

It's not always good to have very experienced players teaching raw beginners in ANY activity. It takes a rare individual to be able to relate and keep the instruction at the correct level. The ones that can are in huge demand.

Stay with it, keep a "teach me " attitude, and go to the next level. PB is addicting when you get past the overwhelming startup.
Why do they insist on making you state which server you are? How is that relevant?
Old 10-14-2020, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
I watched the videos and learned practically nothing. That put a damper on my going any further with the sport. I might try to find a like group of beginners to learn with.
Would like to learn, if you find others would like to join with you
Old 10-14-2020, 08:21 PM

Bingo, the guy in the video is worse in person. His cohorts have similar attitudes like, " how come you can't keep score, you watched the video, right?" Don't back up, I told you don't back up. You guys are going to get hurt if you keep that up. Constant scolding with very little value in the instruction. Same as the video.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:23 PM

I spoke with the manager of Lake Miona Rec center. He did not disagree at all with what I said, and said he would pass on my input.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
Bingo, the guy in the video is worse in person. His cohorts have similar attitudes like, " how come you can't keep score, you watched the video, right?" Don't back up, I told you don't back up. You guys are going to get hurt if you keep that up. Constant scolding with very little value in the instruction. Same as the video.
Can you please post a link to this video your talking about, Thanks!
Old 10-15-2020, 03:49 AM

Rules state the serve must be called before serving. "Called" means the score of both teams as well as the server number. Voicing both the score and server number reinforces the information in the players memory, especially important in rec play where there is no ref. You will come to see that most of us keep forgetting the correct score, so this is especially helpful to older players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
Why do they insist on making you state which server you are? How is that relevant?
Old 10-15-2020, 03:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
Rules state the serve must be called before serving. "Called" means the score of both teams as well as the server number. Voicing both the score and server number reinforces the information in the players memory, especially important in rec play where there is no ref. You will come to see that most of us keep forgetting the correct score, so this is especially helpful to older players.
I get that but why the server number? Why not 5 serving 3 and hit the ball.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Would like to learn, if you find others would like to join with you
Sounds good to me. What part of TV are you in? I am in the southern wastelands where we spend all our spare time parked at the Water Lily bridge in our golf carts waiting for connectivity.😂
Old 10-15-2020, 05:09 AM
Veteran member

Totally disagree, they volunteer and do an outstanding job.
Closed Thread

Tags
pb100, watch, learn, court, youtube

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.