Pickleball 100 PB100 on court lesson I CANNOT recommend

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2020, 05:15 AM

Thanks for the info. We want to play, as we have played a little but really need beginner instruction but we want to play for fun not competition!
Old 10-15-2020, 05:19 AM

Friend of mine went through same thing and will not proceed with any more as she said, "I was trying my best but the guy just kept berating me, I don't want to go through that again. "
Old 10-15-2020, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,039 Times in 5,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
Sounds good to me. What part of TV are you in? I am in the southern wastelands where we spend all our spare time parked at the Water Lily bridge in our golf carts waiting for connectivity.😂
Bonita in the middle between Lake Sumter and Brownwood. Would imagine some place in the middle would work for pickleball.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
I get that but why the server number? Why not 5 serving 3 and hit the ball.
As someone else said, as you learn more about this incredible game, why we say the server 1 or 2 as part of the score will become clear. There is an order of rotation. Server 1, server 2, and then side out ( serve goes to other side). Remembering where you are in this order is more difficult than what the score is. Players will actually question “ are we server 1 or 2 “ much more often than “ what’s the score”. Verbalizing the server # helps a lot, and also it is part of the rules. Not saying the complete score ( which includes server #) prior to serving is actually a fault.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:57 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

There is someone in charge of the training program. Let them know or refer them to this post so they can see the comments.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:01 AM

Come to Saddlebrook, Sat. & Wed., 10-12n. It's Open Beginner Play. We have new PB players and some that have played for several years. We'll take the time to help you learn the game. We have a good time and a lot of laughs.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:21 AM

Sometimes when you have a long rally, no one can remember what team member served, i.e. if it was 1st or 2nd serve. Therefore, repeating the server number before every serve reinforces the memory.

Plus, since it is rule, and rules are needed for fair play, we all need to follow them and let the official rule makers worry/decide what needs to be followed.

Quote:
I get that but why the server number? Why not 5 serving 3 and hit the ball.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
Bingo, the guy in the video is worse in person. His cohorts have similar attitudes like, " how come you can't keep score, you watched the video, right?" Don't back up, I told you don't back up. You guys are going to get hurt if you keep that up. Constant scolding with very little value in the instruction. Same as the video.
Just a thought but, you must know how to keep score before you can play a game! Back peddling IS a guaranteed way to get hurt! Apparently you weren’t following what the video introduced. Bad habits need to be corrected before proceeding. Repeating instruct to those who don’t follow directions can be helpful. Being a volunteer, trying to teach adults who think one free class will make them a great player when they don’t follow directions.... is difficult to say the least. Listen, learn, repeat.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The attitude of the senior instructors was horrible. They talked like they were scolding us. Just like in the PB100 video on Youtube that you are supposed to watch.

The four of us guys were trying our best to play and learn, and we just kept getting scolded. Just when we were on to understanding something, the instructor would start talking about some higher level nuance to show how knowledgeable they were.

Total confusion, combined with the scolding attitudes were a failure and I almost walked off.

My advice is to find a group of friendly people that want to learn, watch some Youtube videos on the gameplay, stretch out, be careful and have some fun.

DO NOT take the PB100 on court class.
I agree. I've played racquet sports for many years including racquet ball and tennis. I've run marathons and competed in triathlons. It does take me time to get the hang of things I'm not the fastest learner on the block. The instructor told me maybe I should think about another sport and not pickleball. Maybe he should NOT be an instructor was my first thought.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I watched the videos and learned practically nothing. That put a damper on my going any further with the sport. I might try to find a like group of beginners to learn with.
Recommendation..,.look at some YouTube videos and then go the Open Beginner play times at various rec centers. Other beginners are so helpful with techniques, rules, etc....you’ll love it!
Old 10-15-2020, 06:50 AM
Veteran member

I took a few of those classes when I first got here, and have had the opportunity to hear many of those classes taught on courts next to me while I was playing tennis. The quality of instructors range a lot. And yes, more than a few think teaching by scolding is a thing. I can hear them berating someone a court away. Some volunteer for the love of the game, others volunteer because it’s a power trip.

If you run across a really bad instructor, call them in to the rec department. They don’t need to keep them in the rotation. If you get a really good one tell them, and tell the rec department. I’d hate to lose the good ones because the bad ones annoy people.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:07 AM

I took the class before Covid hit. The on court instructor I had no tact and would constantly embarrass the people trying to learn. He was also proud of how good he was at Pickleball and never missed a chance to tell us his accomplishments. I was amazed that this person was allowed to teach. Not good for getting people to want to play.
Seemed like the other instructor were quite good and patient with their students!
Old 10-15-2020, 07:22 AM

In his defense about “don’t back up”...you can’t hear that enough! A very dangerous move...many people fall doing that...he’s only trying to get it thru your head to not do that! He’s trying to save you some injuries! DONT BACK UP!
Old 10-15-2020, 07:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Bingo, the guy in the video is worse in person. His cohorts have similar attitudes like, " how come you can't keep score, you watched the video, right?" Don't back up, I told you don't back up. You guys are going to get hurt if you keep that up. Constant scolding with very little value in the instruction. Same as the video.
Back peddling is very dangerous. Beginners often do this and it can easily lead to serious injury. Sorry that you felt "scolded", but the instructors were doing the right thing.

As far as keeping score - Everyone is told to know and understand the information in the instructional video before attending the on-court class. If you have to watch the video more than once, then you should do that. Re-visiting score keeping, ect. takes away time from the on court instruction.

For those who have become disuaded from taking the classes because of this thread, please do not be. There is much more to pickleball than learning to hit the ball over the net. Your neighbor may never have been taught some of the importnat safety precautions of the game, and therefore can not pass them on to you. Also, the classes, as you advance through them, allow to to take drill sessions and eventually begin to learn some strategies to bring into your game. Like any sport, it's much more fun to play it properly and safely.

If you did not like your instructor or for any other reason did were not satisfied, you can re-take the class at another rec center with a different instructor. I would strongly suggest this as a better option than giving up on the classes.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Why do they insist on making you state which server you are? How is that relevant?
Age... When you forget that both of you have already served on your side, the other side might remember!!

Tags
pb100, watch, learn, court, youtube

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.