Pickleball 100 PB100 on court lesson I CANNOT recommend

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I don’t think rec department manages the instruction just the court times?
Actually, the rec dept. has guidelines that volunteers are to follow. Included is behavior of group leaders. Yes, this teacher's actions should be reported to the rec dept. so they can be made aware of any issues regarding the instructor. It may not be an isolated event.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:53 AM

As soon as you actually learn the game, you will understand why it is so important to always call out the score and whether you are server 1 or 2.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:02 AM

It’s very relevant to say you which server you are. It helps you to know where to be in the correct position when serving.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

We had a wonderful experience.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:36 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Sounds like trouble in paradise. You can get arrogant instructors, especially when the instructors aren’t trained and are volunteers, in any sport. I have seen the same problems displayed in volunteer dancing instructors and I’ve seen guys make a total mess out of trying to teach their wife to play golf. Save yourself a lot of grief and buy her some professional golf lessons. That said, this is an exception rather than a norm. Hey, it’s kind of hard to teach old dogs new tricks. As seniors we can be a little too “sensitive” sometimes. No pun intended. I wouldn’t give up - just find another class to attend. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

I took two of the courses eight years back. I was not impressed with any of the teachers. They just seem to want to show everyone how good they were and that we were newbee's and dumb. I never played another match.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy View Post
As soon as you actually learn the game, you will understand why it is so important to always call out the score and whether you are server 1 or 2.
That’s what I’m trying to do. I learn better if I understand the why’s of the rules rather than hearing “because I said so”.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:40 AM
Location: Philippines, Japan, Indonesia, New Zealand, Uruguay, DC, VA, OH, Village of Santiago

Are you first server on your side or second? Repeating that and the score helps prevent bloody PB battles in this short-term memory loss community. And... it's the rule. Just go with it.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
I get that but why the server number? Why not 5 serving 3 and hit the ball.
Maybe, because dem's da rules.......
Old 10-15-2020, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Learning sport where you have no experience or knowledge of that sport takes time. Racket sports are difficult for someone who hasn’t t played similar sport. So, yes the have to start at the beginning learn proper stroke cause if you haven’t played similar sport you have no hand eye coordination. IMO it’s lot harder to correct bad strokes than learn good strokes from the start.

People with racketball, table tennis, badminton, and tennis pick up pickleball quickly with similar strokes and hand eye coordination. But, to reach high level your have to prefect pickleball stroke cause each sport has it’s crafted strokes. The classes are free and you can’t learn everything is short time. Like all sports to play at high level it takes practice. Luckily today with utube you can learn something in weeks or months instead of years.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:05 AM

Pickleball is played on many skill levels and for many reasons. Many players participate simply for exercise and camaraderie. Some players do not even keep score. They simply play a point until someone misses a shot or hits a ball out of bounds, and then proceed to begin playing another point. They are not concerned about who serves or even from where. The game is fun and is purely social play, which is wonderful. In short, they play for an hour, and then adjourn to dine. On the other hand, whenever the game is played competitively,i.e., in formal leagues, tournaments, etc., it is critically important that the correct player serve the ball from the correct court position and that the correct receiving player be in the correct court position and endeavor to return the serve. That can only be determined by knowing who the 1st server is on each team. In tournaments, the first server wears a wrist band (or pennant on hat or shirt) given out before play begins. This permits everyone to know who was server #1 (for each pair) when the game began. That means that each time a pair wins the serve, or at anytime during play, we know where each player should be positioned. The player designated server #1 (wearing a wrist band) must always be positioned in the right box (viewed as facing the net) whenever that pair has an even number of points. The player must be positioned in the left box whenever the 1st server at the start of the game has an odd number of points. Similarly, the receiving pair must have their 1st server, i.e., when the game began, standing in the right box whenever they have an even number of points, or in the left box whenever that player ‘s pair has an odd number of points.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:25 AM

PB 100 On Court class is taught by several experienced instructors that have had hundreds (in some cases a thousand) students over the last 12 years attend their classes. This is the first post I have seen since 2007 (when our classes began) that recommends nobody should attend the PCVG beginner On Court class because of the perception of a player that attended 1 class by one instructor. The person in question may certainly offer feedback and an opinion on his single class, but to pan the class and all beginner class instructors is foolish at best. Regarding the PB 100 Virtual Class, it was created because the Rec. Dept. concerns of having large numbers of students indoors for 1 1/2 hours was not a safe practice. PB 100 was designed to teach potential players about safe practices, and how to keep score, and the basic rules of the game. This class frees up the On Court class from having to explain basic safety, rules and scoring, and to assist in stroke technique and basic strategy.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Sensitive people should probably stick to card games. I never took a course, but I had plenty of GREAT players that were willing to give me advice. I just went out and started playing. Sure, it is nice to know how to keep score when you start playing, but someone will always help you out. If you are with a beginning group, there is always folks there that will readily help you. You should never ever run backwards unless you are prepared to fall and harm yourself so those that holler at you are looking out for your safety. Don't be so sensitive about it. The reason I never took a class is that when I attempted to sign up, the classes were already full. I didn't/don't care because the folks I play with are always friendly and helpful. I play the game for exercise and fun and can never remember how many games we won or lost.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Default I love to teach

I love the comments why !!!! Until 3 years ago I taught REAL PICKLEBALL with trained instructors for 5 years. We taught around 20,000 folk in that time. I would love to teach it again, the right way, if there are enough people who want to learn.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
Actually, the rec dept. has guidelines that volunteers are to follow. Included is behavior of group leaders. Yes, this teacher's actions should be reported to the rec dept. so they can be made aware of any issues regarding the instructor. It may not be an isolated event.
You are right The Rec Dept allocates the courts only. The Instructor Leader should train the Instructors . Seems they are not You only have to look at Beginner Open Play to see the problems. Such a shame
Closed Thread

Tags
pb100, watch, learn, court, youtube

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.