Pickleball 100 PB100 on court lesson I CANNOT recommend

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2020, 04:23 PM

I had the same issue a few years ago. Very unusual situation. Just to quote one the insults “you shouldn’t be here”. There were a few more.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:39 PM

I couldn’t agree with you more. It is so strange that this pickle ball instruction culture is so overwhelmingly of a scolding nature and that this is somehow acceptable to the higher-ups. I’m assuming that this culture must emanate from the individual who oversees the program in TV.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:43 PM
Veteran member

I will go ahead and take the PB100 court class and see for myself.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:56 PM

PB 100 Virtual Classroom r720 - YouTube
Old 10-15-2020, 06:21 PM

I would hate being scolded when I'm trying to learn. Thanks for the heads up. I'll steer clear.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:14 AM

Come to Saddlebrook, Sat & Wed, 10-12n. Open Beginner Play. We have fun and laugh at ourselves.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:20 AM
Angry PB 100 on court instruction

Totally agree. My husband & I had a similair experience with the instructors who spent more time telling people they had no business playing instead of giving constructive points. They refused to tell us what to do to improve only practice, practice practice. They were arrogant and not helpful.How do you improve if you don't know what you're doing wrong? We had played back home with a bunch of friendly folks but totally were disappointed with these instructors so we don't play here. If there's someone out there who just likes to play for fun and exercise let me know.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renpan View Post
Totally agree. My husband & I had a similair experience with the instructors who spent more time telling people they had no business playing instead of giving constructive points. They refused to tell us what to do to improve only practice, practice practice. They were arrogant and not helpful.How do you improve if you don't know what you're doing wrong? We had played back home with a bunch of friendly folks but totally were disappointed with these instructors so we don't play here. If there's someone out there who just likes to play for fun and exercise let me know.
Stu from ny and I are looking to learn and play for fun if you don’t mind two noobs.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

I started playing in TV about 3 years ago. My experience with instruction was much more positive than some report here and I was grateful to the volunteers that took their time to work with us.

I now play almost every day during open play (sunrise to 10 am on every court). I was rated about 2 years ago.

Most of us will gladly accommodate beginning players with one caveat. If you don't at least know the basic rules you probably shouldn't be at open play - or even advanced beginner play.

If you are reading this post - you are computer savvy. Do a Google search and learn the rules. Know how to keep score, some BASIC strategy, and what constitutes a fault. You can do this right from the comfort of your desk or recliner. You and the folks you play with will enjoy the game much more.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 10-16-2020, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
I took the course to see if I LIKED PB, and had no idea after my "lesson". He stopped us from actually playing every 10 seconds to impart more information, yak yak yak. I walked away and never went back. Sticking to golf.
So, I guess you was scratch golfer after the first lesson and knew everything there was to learn about golf? Pickleball is probably 10 times to 100 times easier to lean to most than golf.

Open beginning play times are for playing. You was in class where correction interruptions are required to Clue you in. You’re not going to develop skills or learn skills of game in 1 hour one time class. You take the information and work on it at open beginning times. after month or two you will know where to stand, how to prefect serve and know the score. Now you’re ready to develop higher level skill. It takes time. Some pick it up quickly and some takes months, years.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
I get that but why the server number? Why not 5 serving 3 and hit the ball.
Because each team has two serves. Calling "one" or "two" helps everyone remember how many serves have been played. It's an official rule, not just for TV.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

If the instructor (or anyone for that matter), is being disrespectful or rude, stand up to him. Bullies always back down if you tell them assertively they are out of line and you're not going to put up with it.

Sorry you got a bad apple. I'm sure they're not all like that.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:19 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Because each team has two serves. Calling "one" or "two" helps everyone remember how many serves have been played. It's an official rule, not just for TV.
OK, thanks, I’ve got it.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:02 PM

First let’s talk about Tom W. Attitude from the beginning. Would not follow instructions of how to hold the paddle. He insisted on holding the paddle, not with the handle, but the paddle itself with fingers on the face. He criticized the scoring process. WHY DO WE HAVE TO KEEP TRACK OF WHO IS SERVING? He became such a “PROBLEM CHILD” that the LEAD INSTRUCTOR had to come over and intervene. Second....these instructors are volunteers. They give of their time to pass on information to help Villagers learn the game. We train (in recent years) as many as 5000 people a year. So we know this program works. Our classes have no place for an ATTITUDE.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljoliver View Post
First let’s talk about Tom W. Attitude from the beginning. Would not follow instructions of how to hold the paddle. He insisted on holding the paddle, not with the handle, but the paddle itself with fingers on the face. He criticized the scoring process. WHY DO WE HAVE TO KEEP TRACK OF WHO IS SERVING? He became such a “PROBLEM CHILD” that the LEAD INSTRUCTOR had to come over and intervene. Second....these instructors are volunteers. They give of their time to pass on information to help Villagers learn the game. We train (in recent years) as many as 5000 people a year. So we know this program works. Our classes have no place for an ATTITUDE.
Thanks for giving us the other side of the situation, although I had suspected as much. We've been playing for ten years and started out with PB 101, 102 (twice), and 103 (twice), followed by several intermediate clinics given by Jeff S, which involved six instructors. All in all, we've worked with about 30 instructors and NEVER ONCE had an issue. They were all great, gracious people. We are so lucky to have such a group of volunteers.

And no, I'm not related to any of them!

Tags
pb100, watch, learn, court, youtube

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.