Pickleball play question

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Default Pickleball play question

We're brand new to the villages and avid pickleball players so hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to find players who are 3.5/4.0 rated who play during open play in the mornings from 7 - 10 am.

I've found lots of social play, which is fun, but I'm looking for a group or groups who play primarily 'tournament style' (i.e., 3rd shot drops, get to the NVZ, dinking strategy, etc.)

Any advice on where I can find similar players? I've tried the pickleball website and dropped into several rec centers but no luck so far.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,931 Times in 2,454 Posts

Pick any rec center, I go to the one closest to me. You will find most player in 3 to 4 categories. If you think your good enough to play with the higher ranked players go to lake Minoa.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:37 PM

Saddlebrook and Truman from 7-10 would be your best bet, Monday thru Friday. Saturday go to Rohan, and Sunday go to Sea Breeze, same times. You will find many 4.0 players at those times (a few 4.5's), but no promises as to their "styles". You should find it competitive at any rate, if you are 3.5 to 4.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
We're brand new to the villages and avid pickleball players so hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to find players who are 3.5/4.0 rated who play during open play in the mornings from 7 - 10 am.

I've found lots of social play, which is fun, but I'm looking for a group or groups who play primarily 'tournament style' (i.e., 3rd shot drops, get to the NVZ, dinking strategy, etc.)

Any advice on where I can find similar players? I've tried the pickleball website and dropped into several rec centers but no luck so far.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:22 PM

I agree with roob1. Rohan has 18 courts that are separated by ratings, FYI.
A well rounded player can play with anyone of any style. Our group at Hacienda
is full of very people of all skill levels. 7-10 weekdays
Old 07-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

You might also check out the Rec News. It lists times and places for Beginners, Advanced Beginners, and Intermediate players. The middle group might be a good option but the Intermediate options sound like what you are asking about. In addition, there are many groups of players that are not listed anywhere. These cover all different skill levels. When you play wherever you play, pick out a couple of players that seem to be at the level you are interested in and ask them where they play. Most neighborhoods also have groups. The skill levels with these groups may not be at a level you want or may be varied more than you want but it is a great way to get to know some neighbors.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post

Read this website, that should help.

Play Pickleball-B Forever Young - WELCOME
Old 07-24-2017, 10:29 AM

Big Cypress has a competitive group at that time.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,931 Times in 2,454 Posts

Probably need to find group after open play, open play is first come first serve. Which means you get inline and play next available court. With no line jumping. Unless you jump backwards. Then that's usually accepted.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Does anyone know of someone who would teach private pickleball lessons? My sister is only here on long weekends and wants to learn pickleball and is willing to pay for a private lesson.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:14 AM

Matty Klein 443-373-1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by begonia View Post
Does anyone know of someone who would teach private pickleball lessons? My sister is only here on long weekends and wants to learn pickleball and is willing to pay for a private lesson.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by begonia View Post
Before I even took 101, I knew the rules, and basically how the game was played by going to Youtube.com and typing in pickleball. There are dozens of videos for free to watch. Learning the game and rules makes it so much easier to concentrate on the techniques of playing when you actually get out there.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, players, pickleball, find, nvz

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.