Pictures taken of Contractors entering Your Home

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2015, 01:57 PM
Veteran member
Default Pictures taken of Contractors entering Your Home

Well Folks since we are having so many break-in's i have started to take pictures of contractors and their ID's before they enter my property.
The Gentleman that was going to come into my home today was a contract Hired By state Farm insurance to inspect my house for Sinkhole endorsement.
I told the gentleman before he was going to enter my home that i was requiring a photograph of him and his ID hanging around his neck.
He said No problem we are checked every three years with our backgrounds and he had no problem with that at all.
Folks heres the point am trying to make.
I went for my own contractors License in florida to do A/C and Refrigeration to keep busy because i was not ready to retire yet.
I had to take 2 test and which was entailed enough, but then they did a background check including figure prints and finance history before giving me my License.
NOW PAY ATTENTION HERE IS THE CAVEAT!!
Even though the business owner you are hiring may be a straight shooter and honest doesn't mean their employees are and there are NO state requirements that force a business owner to background check there employee's.
Get my drift Folks.
If anyone gives you a hard time photographing them on your property which you have a right to, because they are on your property ask them to leave.
If the business owner has a problem with that, then that should also send a red flag.
Be proactive and we will have less break-in's i hope and a safer community.
Have a good day!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Good idea! Everyone needs to do that with any contractor, solicitor, utility worker - ANYONE THEY DON'T KNOW - that steps foot on their property. Maybe some of the trash, thugs and riffraff would be caught quicker.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Good idea! Everyone needs to do that with any contractor, solicitor, utility worker - ANYONE THEY DON'T KNOW - that steps foot on their property. Maybe some of the trash, thugs and riffraff would be caught quicker.
Now we have to educate our neighbors that are not as cautious as we are, some folks probably would call us paranoid.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:17 AM

Great idea!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
Now we have to educate our neighbors that are not as cautious as we are, some folks probably would call us paranoid.
Not paranoid, just cautious......
Old 02-20-2015, 10:19 PM
Veteran member

Thanks right you are Proactive is better than reactive
Old 02-21-2015, 12:18 PM

This might discourage a person with intent from coming in at all but beyond that it doesn't seem to have utility. The mere fact that this particular guy was in your house and the house was subsequently burgled does not prove anything.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnd View Post
This might discourage a person with intent from coming in at all but beyond that it doesn't seem to have utility. The mere fact that this particular guy was in your house and the house was subsequently burgled does not prove anything.
It may be the wrong person, but it does give the LEO's a lead.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:45 PM
Veteran member

We're having an estimate from Sears for replacement windows. After I made the call to set up the appointment, a picture of the gentleman that will be coming to the house was in my email. I think this is a great idea and more company's should follow this lead.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnd View Post
You are absolutely correct that the mere fact you have a picture of those who have recently entered your home does not prove anything. However, it would be beneficial in any investigation thereafter. I would think that if you are legit and a professional tradesman you would have no issues and if you weren't legit and had nefarious intentions that could serve as a deterrent.

Now if I can just get him to drink from this glass I could dust for fingerprints later.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechie View Post
You are absolutely correct that the mere fact you have a picture of those who have recently entered your home does not prove anything. However, it would be beneficial in any investigation thereafter. I would think that if you are legit and a professional tradesman you would have no issues and if you weren't legit and had nefarious intentions that could serve as a deterrent.

Now if I can just get him to drink from this glass I could dust for fingerprints later.
taking a picture is for past reference if needed and nothing else other than a deterrent if the individual is not trustworthy, which a homeowner has no idea if the individual they are letting in are, a picture serves as a nice record to who was on there property..
To many contractors run free in the villages soliciting with no control which also bothers me.
It is also clearly noted that there shall be NO SOLICITING in the villages.
Unfortunately it can not be controlled and this leaves the dishonest people to freely solicit and case peoples properties without any repercussions.
So this is my point folks if people and contractors are being photographed when they enter your property it will act as somewhat of a deterrent, and the ones that are harden criminals won't care one way or another.
This was my only POINT!!!!
Have a nice day and keep from being victimized, it seem some of society think the village elderly are easy pickens, i choose not to be that part of society.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
taking a picture is for past reference if needed and nothing else other than a deterrent if the individual is not trustworthy, which a homeowner has no idea if the individual they are letting in are, a picture serves as a nice record to who was on there property..
To many contractors run free in the villages soliciting with no control which also bothers me.
It is also clearly noted that there shall be NO SOLICITING in the villages.
Unfortunately it can not be controlled and this leaves the dishonest people to freely solicit and case peoples properties without any repercussions.
So this is my point folks if people and contractors are being photographed when they enter your property it will act as somewhat of a deterrent, and the ones that are harden criminals won't care one way or another.
This was my only POINT!!!!
Have a nice day and keep from being victimized, it seem some of society think the village elderly are easy pickens, i choose not to be that part of society.

This past year I had one lawn person and three Jehovah's Witnesses solicit.
The year before that, nobody.

No one came to our home in Hadley after the first six weeks of our moving in.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This past year I had one lawn person and three Jehovah's Witnesses solicit.
The year before that, nobody.

No one came to our home in Hadley after the first six weeks of our moving in.
i GUESS you're the lucky neighborhood, unfortunately there have been a lot of soliciting in Gilchrist and a lot of break-in's in the last couple months.
Gracie don't get me wrong i am very Pro villages and pro morse, and know alot of this is out of there control.
I just want folks to pay more attention so they are not victimized.
Have a nice day
Old 02-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Default Not all R Trustworthy

Old story but I bring it up again.
My car was hit by Christopher Bailey of Bailey Services of Ocala, LLC

Gave me a nice business card. Registration and insurance papers also.

Said he was sorry but all would be taken care of and went on his way.

No one could find him. Went to Sumter Deputy sheriff. No police on scene would
do anything. Seniors vs Crime could find him either. Background check on
all info he gave me proved false.

As the Deputy Sheriff told me. Yank, this is Florida, always get the police involved. Trust no one.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
i GUESS you're the lucky neighborhood, unfortunately there have been a lot of soliciting in Gilchrist and a lot of break-in's in the last couple months.
Gracie don't get me wrong i am very Pro villages and pro morse, and know alot of this is out of there control.
I just want folks to pay more attention so they are not victimized.
Have a nice day
I think you are thinking this through and being proactive. I think that is a good thing.

I am concerned about the break in's too, and we should all report anyone who doesn't look like a villager if they are parked or hanging around our neighborhood.

AND realize that there are gypsies here around again. Just saying keep aware of your surroundings. Try to keep a calm but healthy skepticism. Much better to be safe than sorry. I have 12 strangers in my yard right now building a pool.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.