Pig Sty

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Default Pig Sty

I've seen the garbage, the paper cups the empty beer cans, bottles, cigarette butts and loose papers lying on, near or about the cart paths but, did not see the pigs that want to live in that environment. Perhaps they are the two legged kind. I would hate to think that we active seniors who live in the Villages would want to belong or live in such a place. We have paid a small fortune for our lifestyle, so lets not ruin it.

PICK UP YOUR GARBAGE AND DON'T THROW IT FROM YOUR CAR/CART. LET"S WORK TOGETHER PEOPLE. WE LIVE HERE!!!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I really don't see that much garbage. Not enough to qualify for "pig sty" status by a long shot, anyway.

I do see the occasional bit of trash and think it comes from careless landscapers and contractors who are throwing their trash in the back of their pickup trucks and carts and as they're driving the trash sometimes flies out. I know I've seen this happen a number of times.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 PM

Hear, Hear - well stated. I also see more & more of the trash strewn along the paths. Sometimes a piece of paper will blow out of a cart or car unnoticed but it should just about be physically impossible for cups, cans & bottles to land there unless put there by someones hands. Come on people you can do better!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Sage

I see very little trash anywhere, but I do see workers picking it up from time to time.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 07-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Sage

All in all, I would say that the multi-modal paths and roadways are mighty trash free. There is a little bit of trash every now and then but most is very clean.

It does seem to be worse, though, in the summer when kids and grandkids are visiting as well as around school holiday time. Not saying they are the entire cause but a major contributor to the trash that gets thrown out of cars and golf carts.

Definitely, The Villages does employ a lot of great people who pick up trash on a regular basis.

I have wondered why there are not trash barrells on the multi-modal paths to put trash into when on the path.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Sage

I've never seen trash like that along cart paths...nor in any place in TV. I'm always marveling at how clean this place is, so I would notice littering like that.

To me, the original post sounds like somebody who really does not like TV at all, in any way, shape or form.

Newbies, there is nothing here that even comes close to being a "pig stye". It takes a really unhappy person to want newcomers and home buyers to think they've invested a good chunk of their retirement funds in a "pig stye", when there is no such thing in the entire community of 90,000 people.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:14 PM

Well if you see it ,you could stop and pick it up then place it in a can. I have, several times.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
I've seen the garbage, the paper cups the empty beer cans, bottles, cigarette butts and loose papers lying on, near or about the cart paths but, did not see the pigs that want to live in that environment. Perhaps they are the two legged kind. I would hate to think that we active seniors who live in the Villages would want to belong or live in such a place. We have paid a small fortune for our lifestyle, so lets not ruin it.

PICK UP YOUR GARBAGE AND DON'T THROW IT FROM YOUR CAR/CART. LET"S WORK TOGETHER PEOPLE. WE LIVE HERE!!!!!
First off...I don't believe for one second that you truly feel that TV is a pig sty, nor do you truly feel that the residents are pigs. Posting here does absolutely no good whatsoever. If you truly saw some trash, then pick it up and get rid of it.

Where exactly was all this garbage? Did you see a villager toss it there? You say "let's work together". I agree let's ALL work together. You saw it, we didn't. You would be a great neighbor by picking it up.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Default In One spot I've seen trash

When we cross 466 in the tunnel and come up near Morse, there is a bridge over swamp land. Off that bridge, there is all kinds of trash including bottles, cans, paper etc. I would pick it up but it is a narrow bridge and the trash is a ways down. Not even sure you can walk on that wetland.
It does disgust me that cart drivers would make that location a dump.

Otherwise, I think the workers keep The Villages very clean.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I remember being a kid when litter became an issue, when people used to throw their trash out the car on the freeways, hard to believe now. There was a movement for car trash bags, remember? I became vigilant with my parents. Maybe that is a new business opportunity, golf cart trash bags. Just made me reminisce.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
I've seen the garbage, the paper cups the empty beer cans, bottles, cigarette butts and loose papers lying on, near or about the cart paths but, did not see the pigs that want to live in that environment.
I have always thought just the opposite ... that The Villages is an incredibly clean place. When I'm in TV I drive around and marvel at the beauty and the cleanliness.

The only time I've noticed garbage is around the places that the Charter School kids frequent, and that's just because they're kids and they need a spanking. (The Belvedere Libary, the tunnel leading to Southern Trace Plaza, etc.) And that garbage seems to be quickly picked up. We go North for the summer, so perhaps I don't understand the problem. Perhaps it gets dirtier in the summer months?
Old 07-28-2012, 03:28 AM
Platinum member

I was wowed about how clean and manicured TV is. Did note some cigarette butts here and there. I'm thinking about forming the Butt Pickers Club when we arrive.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

It must be the heat or you have the wrong place.

I will read back on your old posts and see what else you have had to say.

I read your old posts and you are a very nice and reasonable person so I will look carefully to see if there is any trash. I certainly haven't seen anything to merit the term "pig sty" or even anything but PRISTINE in the four years that I have lived here but a time or two I have seen an occasionaly can or other little thing and sometimes I stop my cart to get it if I won't cause an accident. The cigarette butts are thrown and Posh is right.

The Forum for the last few days has had a lot of negative posts. Do you think we miss the snowbirds? It still isn't as hot as it is in other parts of the country. Maybe we all need a nap?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:44 AM
Sage

When I was cranky my mother used to say you need to go and lie down. I think a lot of people on TOTV need to go and lie down.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:44 AM
Email Reported As Spam

While I do not agree that "pig sty" meets the strewn trash situation described by whatever, I do agree with whatever that it is becoming a problem.

I have lived here for six years and more than ever I see bottles, cans paper cast along side of cartpaths,in tunnels and along roadways.

Again we have disagreement among our residents and I believe the reason can be identified with one word "expectation".

I personally would expect The Villages to be free of litter because of its residents, its workers and its reputation. So often I wonder who the indivdual was that threw that empty can or bottle out of their cart or their paper cup, and if it was accidental why didn't they go back and pick it up? Yes, it could be the item left the cart unnoticed but given the amount I am seeing it doesn't account for all of iit and frankly I lean toward hardly any of it. Irrespective of noticed or unnoticed he fat remains its lying on the ground and not in a trash bin.

I would like/hate to think that the cause is outsiders who show little respect for our community. But clearly in most situations whomever the culprits, it could also be residents, appear to have little respect for themselves and so why show any toward a community.

Perhaps it is time for the CDD SLCDD to initiate a "litter free" campaign before the situation worsens?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.