Pinball in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Probably a dumb question, but is there any actual skill involved with these machines?
I remember blokes playing them for hours, like they had some form of addiction.
I never really took to them, or even saw the point of them.
I think there is some skill--reflexes and avoid tilt--they were fun. Spent a lot of nickels.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
I think there is a room for pinball machines in the newest rec center...the one for first responders. I don't know the name of the rec center, but I remember reading about it in the Daily Sun. Not sure if it is open yet, and I don't think it is only for first responders. check in the district website
The name of this rec center is the First Responders rec center. It has not been constructed yet. Drawings are being prepared, and construction should start in a few months. It is at the far north end of the Villages, near the Baptist church on hwy 42.

IMPORTANT: The rec center is named to honor first responders, but it is for the use of Villagers. First responders do not get admission unless they are a Villager (or guest of a Villager.)
Old 10-04-2020, 07:30 AM
Default There is skill involved

Quote:
Probably a dumb question, but is there any actual skill involved with these machines?
The way to win a free play or set a high score is to keep each ball in play as long as possible, and to figure out what combination of targets give you bonus points or extra balls. So it takes skill to shoot the ball just where you want it to go, which often also risks you losing the ball. Bumping the game just enough at the correct time helps you keep the ball in play, but you risk a tilt which stops the machine and you lose the ball.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:33 AM
Gold member

Do a Google search on Arcade near me, you'll be surprised that they still exist.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 10-04-2020, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
The way to win a free play or set a high score is to keep each ball in play as long as possible, and to figure out what combination of targets give you bonus points or extra balls. So it takes skill to shoot the ball just where you want it to go, which often also risks you losing the ball. Bumping the game just enough at the correct time helps you keep the ball in play, but you risk a tilt which stops the machine and you lose the ball.
I remember the 'tilt' and the 'effing and blinding' when it happened.
Saw a chair smashed through a machine once, but never knew if it was an unhappy punter, or someone fed up with waiting to have a turn.
It was a good night all round!!
Old 10-04-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, there is considerable skill required to be a world-class player. You need great eye hand coordination and with the newer electronic machines, you also need an understanding of the rule set. It's not simply a matter of hitting the balls around the playfield. You also have to know the sequence of accomplishments needed to score the big points and/or get to the end game. There are newer games out there that are so complicated that only the quite experienced players know the rule set.

Always remember, pinball players have balls of steel.......
Old 10-04-2020, 08:46 AM
Default Sounds like fun

I’m in
Old 10-04-2020, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
I will ask the Wizard.
of Oz?
Old 10-04-2020, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Pre COVID-19 we went to a place in Dublin, Oh called PINS. They have duck pin bowling and lots of pinball. What a great place and great time. They don’t have food just a dedicated spot out back for food trucks. Great bourbon/whiskey selection along with a large rotating draft beer selection. I can’t imagine a place like this wouldn’t kill it in TV!!!
Old 10-04-2020, 09:27 AM

To all pinball fans...... the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas is a great museum of sorts, off a few blocks from the southern end of the strip is a great ( and economical) way to spend An afternoon. There are literally a thousand or more machines from our era and earlier. Most all are working to play, and whatever it originally was is what it costs to play, a nickel, dime, or quarter. It is run by a dedicated group of restorers and owner Mr. Arnold who just wantS to keep the memory alive. We had a ball challenging each other Next time you go, give it a try. Plans are in the way to build an even bigger venue with more machines.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default There was a degree of skill involved especially

Quote:
with a machine that you were familiar with , the feel of flippers and yes some hip and banging at right time . There were also machines that you gambled on , a lot had no flippers, all the pinball games in Boston were owned by the local mafia boss . If you tried to put an independent machine into your store or bar , it wouldn’t last long, they moved into poker machines later and some are still operating in many bars along with the legal Keno games called by one politician the crack cocaine of gambling and he’d be right , 5 or 6 numbers on a tv screen new game every 5 minutes
Old 10-04-2020, 12:07 PM
Veteran member

I LOVE pinball! I had a pinball game on my computer and I had to delete it because I played so much. I used to play on pinball machines and would love to see this in TV.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:32 PM
Platinum member

As a collector, player and restorer of Pinball, Pachinko and Slot Machines, I encourage you to get the Recreation Department to set aside one room in a Rec. Center for these great games. After all, they built TWO huge buildings for woodworkers, You just need to tell them that it will sell more new houses!

Skip
Old 10-04-2020, 12:56 PM

I would like to see pin ball in the rec centers. Not a huge expense and doesn't need a lot of room.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:46 PM

WOW! Finally a post to respond to that will only bring cheer. Been waiting a while to create my first post. With 17 pinball machines, I’ve been contemplating moving to The Villages for 7 years getting older with each one. Latest excuse is Covet. Prior excuse was being single. Here’s my fantasy:
1) I’m just moving into my new house in The Villages
2) My moving truck arrives with all (?) my pinball machines
3) Neighbors are outside to see the new arrival in town
4) My pinball machines are being unloaded from the truck and into my new home.
5) Then my cars (how many can I take with me) are unloaded from the vehicle transport truck
6) I can hear the neighborhood guys saying to their other half, “Honey, I’ll be back in about 6 hours. I’m gonna hang with the new guy on the block”.
7) There! I’ve made new friends.
BTW: When I suggested that I bring my pinball machines with me, my realtor said that no one would want to play such childish games. I guess we’ve’ arrived!!
Closed Thread

Tags
pinball, i’m, pandemic, things, touch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.