pinellas place sinkhole?

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaschilz View Post
Anyone with good info on this please post. We own on Useppa Oaks very near these houses that are being treated but are back in NC trying to sell our house. We did see the house on the corner having the concrete being pumped in last time we were there but now it looks like three houses are involved. Kind of too close for comfort and we have't even been able to move in yet. We will be down in a couple of weeks to check things out but would sure appreciate any good info that anyone finds out in the meantime. Thanks for posting about this so we can keep track of things from afar.
Have you asked your salesperson about the activity that's been going on for the last two to three weeks? That would be a good place to start. Also, were you able to get sinkhole insurance before you closed? You might want to check with your insurance carrier.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Omitted

Last edited by skip0358; 05-08-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: delete
Old 05-06-2013, 03:23 PM

Mia Copa... We went by a few times and saw nothing, in the area that showed anything wrong. perhaps it was because it was "between" homes or behind them that we did not notice. I sincerely hope all is ok. All the the homes are sold or built except three on the east side of Useppa. Is it the spec homes. or someone's home? Sounds catastrophic, not part of the house? Versus condemnation and altered the structure. Insurance companies involved?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
It is on the East end of Useepa where it intersects Yearling. If you look at the online map on TV website you'll see three white pieces of property all together. It was a LAND DEPRESSION not a SINKHOLE. It is being treated and the disclosure will be made to the buyers as per the law.
How big is the "LAND DEPRESSION"? Are there homes on the property? If so, are they 'for sale' or 'sold'?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

Humnn.....land depression instead of a sinkhole. Interesting----never heard that term used before and I have lived in Florida for over 10 years----learned something new today!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Stop by and talk to the guys.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 AM

Has anyone PHYSICALLY walked around those properties and saw a sinkhole? Or are we just commenting?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Sink hole is a scary term. There will be many small ones druing the rainy season.

Many times there are drops/sinkholes/cave-ins around water holes. I think that is the reason that "THEY" are careful in making man made "lakes" or deepening existing ones.

Frequently the drain tile will cause ...to me.....unusual settling. There was a thread on this some time ago in St. James. I will see if I can find it.

New Sinkhole in St. James on Edenville Path.

Also, during the summer rainy season here, there will be sinkholes as sure as God made little green apples.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
That's why I originally put "Yep". But didn't want to cause mass panic. Hubby is in that area daily and has been watching the activity. And for myself, I would have gone to take pictures but didn't want yet another nail in my tires.
Has anyone seen the jar of collected nails at the Tire Choice? I think we all must run right there to have them removes.
Good choice on not driving thru the land of nails to get some pics
Old 05-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Omitted

Last edited by skip0358; 05-08-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Sage

If there is no hole what are they filling up??? Or do you mean there is no visible hole?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
If there is no hole what are they filling up??? Or do you mean there is no visible hole?
When this problem...hole, unstable ground, depression, is discovered than something they call sluree or mud but must be cement is pumped into any underground space that needs to be filled. I know one such event where the homeowner told me he thinks that his ground is more stable now after such an event.

In the large cement pipes that run between water holes, they even send in divers to check out the interiors for breaks. A job I wouldn't want to do. I know this because I know people who live adjacent to these pipes and witnessed these activities.

But...to wannabees, you need to know that sinkholes occur here and there isn't any good way to figure out where they will be.....and lightning strikes have burnt six homes to the ground in the villages in the last seven years.

We also have snakes and alligators and tornadoes. Other than that, I think it is pretty close to perfect.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Sage
Default I am learning as I go like many...

Please understand I am no expert, but learning more and more daily from reading this site and others.

The first thing I realized last year is I did not know the technical definition of a sinkhole for insurance. The first thing you have to do is google the difference between a sink hole and catastrophic ground collapse (CGC). Sink hole activity that cannot be categorized as CGC is much more insidious IMO. In Fl we are all covered for CGC, but it is getting more and more expensive to get sinkhole coverage.

I believe it is possible to have sinkhole activity without ground collapse and maybe what is happening w.r.t. this thread. I do not know that, I only know what is posted.

I do not have the answers by any means, but having sinkhole activity being fixed should raise flags for near by neighbors based on what I have read. Would I panic, of course not, but I sure would be digging into the details and become much more of an expert on diagnosing the issue.

I am learning, I am googling, I am confused about the details still...

Last edited by ajbrown; 05-09-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Location: We live in The Village of Pinellas, on Yearling Way.
Default And to think I Just closed on Yearling Way!!!

Well, here I am in San Diego, packing all my worldly belongings, excitedly awaiting my move to TV, 9 more days to go!!! I log on and the first thing I see is the post about a sink hole near Yearling Way. I JUST CLOSED on my new home on Yearling Way!

If anyone has any additional information pertaining to location, size, severity, etc., let's have it. Please. I am not going to panic just yet, but I sure hope I have a home to unpack all this stuff in!

Let me know if anyone has any more details. Ignorance is not bliss, at least not for me! LOL
Old 05-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Sage

Jan - contact your sales agent - they should be just as responsive after the sale if they want to keep you as a client.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.