Islands in retention ponds flowering

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Gold member
Default Islands in retention ponds flowering

Does anyone know what kinds of flowers are on the islands in some of the retention ponds, e.g. on Colony Boulevard? I'm amazed that something is flowering in that much water! TIA.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Does anyone know what kinds of flowers are on the islands in some of the retention ponds, e.g. on Colony Boulevard? I'm amazed that something is flowering in that much water! TIA.
Henryk, I'm guessing but I think this came up before, that island is some sort of water treatment system for the pond to avoid algae, and the flowers are just to make it look pretty. We have them in a few ponds in the villages. Remember, I'm guessing its that. Kinda interesting, huh.?

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Most flowering islands in water are actually floats that can be pulled to shore for planting, weeding, feeding, etc. The flowers are not growing and thriving "in" the water. I'm sure there are a few cases and species that will survive in water, but usually they are floating flower beds.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

The flowers were being replaced on a pond at Yankee Clipper yesterday.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last Thursday when I was playing golf at Havana, on the Par 5 #3 hole behind Colony Plaza there is a small pond and they were working on the island. About six people were wearing waders and had pulled the island up to the bank and were taking the old plant trays off the island and putting new ones on the island. They left the plants in their tray, which were about 3' x 4' and put them onto the island. Apparently the water can reach the bottom of the trays and it's sort of a 2-way street. The plants receive water and help to purify the pond and keep algae away. On the side of their truck, I can't remember the company name, but it said something to the effect 'keep your ponds and lakes clean of algae with artificial plant islands'. It looked something like this, but with flowering plants.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 12-06-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:58 AM
Gold member

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.
Closed Thread

Tags
islands, retention, flowering, ponds, amazed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.