Please, folks, stay home with your germs!

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2019, 08:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Hmm, are you suggesting the woman may have been allergic to the Bishops Fund!
Gotta laugh Credit Cards gladly accepted please bring along proper " ID " It really is all about the money.

Beautiful Homes, Expensive Car(s), and for some Private Airplane ownership.

Gotta Love it.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Maybe they were allergic to someone's aftershave or perfume, who was sitting too close to them. Or maybe they have the plague. Could go either way I suppose.
That’s pretty funny.

I have many allergies, with many medicines to minimize or eliminate symptoms. Unfortunately, they don’t always work and sometimes I start hacking and blowing my nose. We all have levels we are willing to tolerate. If I get too bad, I’ll get up and leave.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I’m an avid bridge player. The Villages Duplicate Club is the second largest club in the USA. Several of our players have compromised immune systems. We don’t play if we have a cold. Four hours of fun not worth risking the health of another.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-07-2019, 06:11 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

If you are sick do stay home. Common sense.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
When I was in business, I sent home employees who were sick-- I said " that's what your sick days are for"--yes my employees had sick days, profit sharing, and health benefits
While I agree with you, I worked at several large organizations that provided incentives for "perfect attendance". And DH worked at a hospital no less and got $25 bonus for each quarter of perfect attendance.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Also "sick days" weren't guaranteed nationwide until the previous administration. In retail, it used to be you worked, you got paid. You don't work, you don't get paid. Period. Not everyone had the luxury of staying home if they were sick.

Even now, you're only entitled to 1 hour of sick time per 40 hours worked. It's stackable to up to 1 year and 6 months total so if you never get sick, at the end of your 18th month you could have a nice bank of sick time available.

That's not even just retail. Many small businesses work that way, restaurants, chains, security companies, etc. etc.

Many people go to work sick, because they don't get enough sick time to accommodate a yearly cold AND a yearly bout with the flu, and are underinsured or not eligible for company-paid insurance at work. The upshot is - if they show up for work and the boss SENDS them home, typically they get paid for the whole shift. The downside to that, is that usually you have to puke in front of the customer for the boss to send you home, if it means you get paid for the shift you aren't actually working.

Real world work ethics 101 for ya.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Also "sick days" weren't guaranteed nationwide until the previous administration. In retail, it used to be you worked, you got paid. You don't work, you don't get paid. Period. Not everyone had the luxury of staying home if they were sick.

Even now, you're only entitled to 1 hour of sick time per 40 hours worked. It's stackable to up to 1 year and 6 months total so if you never get sick, at the end of your 18th month you could have a nice bank of sick time available.

That's not even just retail. Many small businesses work that way, restaurants, chains, security companies, etc. etc.

Many people go to work sick, because they don't get enough sick time to accommodate a yearly cold AND a yearly bout with the flu, and are underinsured or not eligible for company-paid insurance at work. The upshot is - if they show up for work and the boss SENDS them home, typically they get paid for the whole shift. The downside to that, is that usually you have to puke in front of the customer for the boss to send you home, if it means you get paid for the shift you aren't actually working.

Real world work ethics 101 for ya.
Curious as to what FEDERAL law that was? I managed a single multi-million$ location FT for a large national shipping franchise after I retired and before we moved here and I'm pretty sure I would (or SHOULD) have heard about that law. All the general info I can find is this: How many sick days is my employer legally required to provide? | Nolo

Sick pay/sick day laws seems to be up to state regs. All I see federally is the FMLA which has nothing to to with taking off for a cold or 1 hr off for 40 hrs worked and doesn't require pay at all, just the guarantee you'll have a job when you return.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Curious as to what FEDERAL law that was? I managed a single multi-million$ location FT for a large national shipping franchise after I retired and before we moved here and I'm pretty sure I would (or SHOULD) have heard about that law. All the general info I can find is this: How many sick days is my employer legally required to provide? | Nolo

Sick pay/sick day laws seems to be up to state regs. All I see federally is the FMLA which has nothing to to with taking off for a cold or 1 hr off for 40 hrs worked and doesn't require pay at all, just the guarantee you'll have a job when you return.
As far as I know, there is no Federal law that reqiires employers to provide any paid sick leave to employees. The FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act) was signed into law by President Clinton in 1993. It allows employees to take up to 12 weeks off for medical purposes, but this is unpaid leave.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post

Actually - you're right. I just double checked. I made an incorrect assumption that my state's law was a federal law. It isn't. This actually supports the concern even more then:

There is no law requiring businesses in this country to give their employees ANY sick time at all. It is exclusively on a state basis.

In fact, as of August 20's calculations, only 7 states have mandatory sick leave: Arizona, California, Massachusetts, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington State.

The rest of the country including DC, doesn't have to give a single hour's worth of paid sick time to its employees.

So now you know why so many people come to work sick. They don't get paid, if they don't come to work sick.

Some people actually rely on - y'know - getting paid - to cover expenses.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:29 AM
Platinum member

This thread was hijacked. It wasn’t about employment law. It was about inconsiderate folks attending optional functions sick.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:02 AM

Haven't been sick since I moved here 3 years ago. I chalk it up to not having to use public restrooms, porta potties and shaking hands 20 times a day.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..." [emoji527]
George Orwell
Old 10-08-2019, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
This thread was hijacked. It wasn’t about employment law. It was about inconsiderate folks attending optional functions sick.
I was just going to say that too. Why do folks go off on rabbit trails on these threads? I'm one of the folks with a compromised immune system. Two years ago when that awful flu was rampant, I stayed home. Yet I still got the flu and pneumonia with it. Might have picked it up in a doctor's office. Anyway I agree with the OP re: the fact that people don't use common sense and remain home "IF" they're not feeling well.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:06 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I was just going to say that too. Why do folks go off on rabbit trails on these threads? I'm one of the folks with a compromised immune system. Two years ago when that awful flu was rampant, I stayed home. Yet I still got the flu and pneumonia with it. Might have picked it up in a doctor's office. Anyway I agree with the OP re: the fact that people don't use common sense and remain home "IF" they're not feeling well.

Why? Could it be there are those who are trying to prove how smart they are or just crave attention? Dunno.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
This morning in church, the young woman sitting behind us sneezed, coughed and blew her nose throughout mass. Even if she suffers from allergies, it is certainly would have been more sanitary if she had stayed home.
Or maybe she was just nervous?
Old 10-14-2019, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

I try not to rely on others being considerate about my health. As another immunocompromised person, I have adopted the habit (more common in some Asian countries) of wearing a disposable medical mouth/nose mask when going to enclosed spaces with the general public, such as a doctor's office or theater. If anyone asks or seems offended, I just say I'm the one who has a cold.

A mask can engender some odd looks and comments, but I'll take those over getting sick. I don't usually wear the mask to places like the grocery or drug store, but am careful to wash my hands after those errands.
Closed Thread

Tags
germs, home, seat, people, stay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.