Please investigate the truth

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2019, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default Please investigate the truth

FACT CHECK, FACT CHECK, NO MATTER what your persuasion . Sure hope this does NOT go political because this is so important, this would apply to life. So many times I hear Villagers say "How can I believe what I read and hear?", and in this time, more than any other, it's time for ALL of us to do our homework and investigate where the truth lies. We are so fortunate to have technology at our finger tips, please put the truth as your priority.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:00 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
FACT CHECK, FACT CHECK, NO MATTER what your persuasion . Sure hope this does NOT go political because this is so important, this would apply to life. So many times I hear Villagers say "How can I believe what I read and hear?", and in this time, more than any other, it's time for ALL of us to do our homework and investigate where the truth lies. We are so fortunate to have technology at our finger tips, please put the truth as your priority.
I wrote a post about this a while back but it got completely taken sideways and closed. Absolutely you cannot believe everything you read or hear even if it seems like it comes from a valid source.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Absolutely you cannot believe everything you read or hear even if it seems like it comes from a valid source.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-19-2019, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

Not sure there is a "valid source" anymore. Seems every site, every person, every everything and everybody has their own agenda and caters to what ever they want to promote. Much of it profit motivated, much of it total disregard for what's in it for everyone. My latest example it the position of Boeing in the latest 737 Max accidents. Everyone else grounded the planes except the US and when it was finally mandated Boeing agreed stating "an abundance of caution". So, where is or who is, a "valid source". Wait, is it on the internet, silly me, then it must be true

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-19-2019, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
OP, What is your basis for deciding it is the truth?

I find "truth" to be in the eye of the beholder.

IMO this post is an example of that.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 03-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Fact check all you like...it does not mean what you check isn't a lie also...yes I am a professional cynic...working for over 30 years in gov't does that...you should have learned by now that the internet can be manipulated so you'll never know the truth.

Go by: common sense(very rare) and your instincts(if you haven't developed any then best of luck?)
Old 03-19-2019, 01:20 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Watch all news stations to get all sides before making a decision on how you feel
Old 03-19-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
... it's time for ALL of us to do our homework and investigate where the truth lies. We are so fortunate to have technology at our finger tips...
By all means, look things up online to find the truth. Won't find any fake news out there.

Your best bet is to use your common sense. Ask yourself if what you are hearing and seeing makes sense to you. Give some consideration to what's in it for whomever you are hearing it from.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM
Default Not sure what you are thinking

Quote:
For so much of life it is opinion. Some people do not realize what they think is fact is actually opinion.

Examples-medical. You see one doctor and they say do ???????
You see another doctor and they say do nothing as the treatment downsides outweigh the possible benefit. It is your life. You may not be licensed to make a choice. In the end the result of the choice made is your quality of life.

So many others that appear on this website and many others.
Investments, purchases, lawn care and so many more.

Research. Today, research is far easier to do. Long gone are the days when you used to go to the library, find a magazine article or book on the subject-hope it is in. A change will have new issues.

People do not realize that people reading an e-mail do not know you, do not see your facial expression. Along with the internet, many have lost the ability to speak to each other.

Realize, we have many opportunities to easily gather information from others. Sadly, MY OPINION, many people just want to talk to people who agree with them and think anyone that does not think what they think is stupid, a fool or.

My view, for the best of my human ability is you learn far more from people who disagree with you than from people who think what you think. As Condi Rice has said, if all your friends agree with you, you need some new friends.

Beware-as humans we rarely accept blame. Most do not see that the blame is theirs. To say it a different way, you have control of what you do. You have at best limited control about what others do.

FACTS-even that is not simple. So many FACTS have over time proven, discovered to be mistaken opinion.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Call or visit a reference librarian to get reliable sources on issues you might have. They can usually give you all kinds of ways to get as many of the actual facts as you can handle.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

"History is written by the victors"
Old 03-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

You Can't Handle the Truth! - A Few Good Men (7/8) Movie CLIP (1992) HD - YouTube
Old 03-19-2019, 02:27 PM
Default Your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Not sure there is a "valid source" anymore. Seems every site, every person, every everything and everybody has their own agenda and caters to what ever they want to promote. Much of it profit motivated, much of it total disregard for what's in it for everyone. My latest example it the position of Boeing in the latest 737 Max accidents. Everyone else grounded the planes except the US and when it was finally mandated Boeing agreed stating "an abundance of caution". So, where is or who is, a "valid source". Wait, is it on the internet, silly me, then it must be true
Do you not see that your post is your opinion.

Far as the 737 accidents. Everyone but the US grounded them till it was mandated. All of life is a risk. Whether we realize it or not we regularly choose is the benefit worth the risk the cost etc.

Some famous similar events. The Chevy Corvair. We all know, or think we know about it. The problem was according to stuff I read many years ago was due to pricing issues the car was built with undersized torsion bars (spring system) and that caused the car to under-steer and then over steer causing average drivers to roll them. The later Corvairs were improved. A friend has one and it is a great driving car. The car was ruined by it's early reputation.

The 737 max may well suffer the same fate as the Corvair a soiled reputation. Tried in the press by people who are not at all qualified to judge. The 737 max is not the only plane with problems-issues. There was or is an Airbus where the tail has more than once fallen off.

WHAT IF-is always a question that we do our best to deal with.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
OP, What is your basis for deciding it is the truth?

I find "truth" to be in the eye of the beholder.

IMO this post is an example of that.

Don
Yes and no.

You can check and easily determine outright bold face lies, especially easy to check FACTS, and then run away from liars.

I think Tals referred to librarians.....I just say. READ READ READ

Last edited by Bucco; 03-19-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:04 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
...yes I am a professional cynic...
I am as well. I believe nothing, fact check everything and then still question it.
Closed Thread

Tags
truth, fact, investigate, check, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.