Please, just one more dog poop dilemma ?

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2020, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny1 View Post
We bought on a corner lot last Jan. 2020. After moving in noticed our lot was literally the "Go TO PLACE" for neighbors dogs! Owned dogs all our lives, peed and pooped in our yard then walked. We also saw people walk dog to our yard do their business and turn around back to their own villa. Our question is when we return and display those no pee poop signs, will neighbors be offended and not welcome us back.? Also when we leave again, will signs just be ignored? MOST PICK UP some do not!
We had that problem up North. Not a corner lot but because our house was a few hundred feet from the road with trees blocking our view of the road in some areas, our front yard became poop alley. It was especially bad by the mailbox. Put a small sign at the base of the mailbox that said “please be respectful” with a red line through a picture of a dog pooping. People were very kind and I rarely saw a poop since, even far beyond where the sign was. I suspect the signs are allowed in TV though.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:51 AM

There is so much disrespect of others' properties when it comes to dog walking and toileting. Dog owners think it's ok to allow their dogs to do their business in others' yards and pick it up, but they do not understand the scent remains and attracts other dogs to do the same. Then your yard becomes a public restroom. Dog Owners: Let you dog do it's business in your yard and then walk it. By the way, and IMO, dog walking is overrated. Who's walking whom? Signed: a dog owner for 20 years. Thank you. PS: Don't use the postal station property as a public restroom either. Come on, listen up!
Old 07-10-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Great post!!!

Does anything more need to be said?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidakins View Post
We bought a house on a corner lot as well. This is our third house in The Villages. Over the past years, we noticed that corner lots do take much of the brunt of the damage from dogs defecating and urinating. In anticipation of such things occurring on our new corner lot, we put two (one on the front and side streets) signs in English and Spanish to not come in the yard. This did not seem to do much, plus we had a "troll" report us to the developer about not having a permit for our small, well-designed signs. The developer wrote us a letter about the signs telling us we are in violation. I have written to the developer twice (with photos of the signs) about the signs twice about allowing the signs and reminding him that the dog park is only 3 blocks from our house. He has yet to respond one way or the other. Apparently anonymous trolls have much more influence than homeowners.

Why people can't walk the 3 blocks to the dog park is beyond me. The fact that some people feel they "have a right" to have their dogs poop in my yard and not their own reflects a lack of manners their lack of a proper upbringing. We invest thousands of dollars each year to keep our yard looking nice. We don't appreciate others disrespecting our property and turning it into their own private dog park.

Our present home is south of SR 44. We have noticed that a very large number of people do not keep their dogs on a leash when outside their homes. No, they do not have electric doggy fences in their yards. They all seem to think they are the "exception" to whatever rules of conduct, good manners, or safety (including the dog's safety from traffic) should be observed. The dogs are loose outside the dog park, around the mailboxes, and sometimes walking the neighborhoods. I like pets but some pet owners are irresponsible. In my long life, I have only been bitten by dogs whose owners told me that "their dogs didn't bite".

I have more constructive things to do than to peek out my window all day waiting for a dog to 'litter' my yard and run out to confront the dog's owner. Turning on a sprinkle during such an incident also seems childish. I am not a stranger to confrontation. While "constructive confrontation" can have positive results, too often I have seen pride or embarrassment of people in such a situation turn into a "destructive confrontation". I would prefer others to be respectful of other people's property. I would prefer to be friends with my neighbors. The neighbors I have met have all been friendly. I would like to keep it that way.

If we are to be "America's Friendliest Hometown", the developer and other "powers that be" should at least respond to homeowners in such situations and not give more weight to the opinions of anonymous trolls. The trolls need to find a hobby other than sticking their noses into other people's business. The developers or respective committees need to respond to correspondence from homeowners.
Great post
There’s a law. Dogs must be on a leash and under the owners control
Old 07-10-2020, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Great post!!!

Does anything more need to be said?
Yes, there are ways without starting an all out battle. This will likely escalate things.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:00 AM

Good advice! I put a new poop sign on my lawn and that took care of the problem and my neighbors still talk to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Your neighbors apparently aren't good neighbors as they don't seem to have any respect for your property. Forget the signs, stand outside and let them know that your yard isn't the neighborhood toilet. Why should you care if they welcome you back, they have no concerns for your feelings and property. If they leave poop in your yard pick it up and deposit it on their doorstep.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidakins View Post
We bought a house on a corner lot as well. This is our third house in The Villages. Over the past years, we noticed that corner lots do take much of the brunt of the damage from dogs defecating and urinating. In anticipation of such things occurring on our new corner lot, we put two (one on the front and side streets) signs in English and Spanish to not come in the yard. This did not seem to do much, plus we had a "troll" report us to the developer about not having a permit for our small, well-designed signs. The developer wrote us a letter about the signs telling us we are in violation. I have written to the developer twice (with photos of the signs) about the signs twice about allowing the signs and reminding him that the dog park is only 3 blocks from our house. He has yet to respond one way or the other. Apparently anonymous trolls have much more influence than homeowners.

Why people can't walk the 3 blocks to the dog park is beyond me. The fact that some people feel they "have a right" to have their dogs poop in my yard and not their own reflects a lack of manners their lack of a proper upbringing. We invest thousands of dollars each year to keep our yard looking nice. We don't appreciate others disrespecting our property and turning it into their own private dog park.

Our present home is south of SR 44. We have noticed that a very large number of people do not keep their dogs on a leash when outside their homes. No, they do not have electric doggy fences in their yards. They all seem to think they are the "exception" to whatever rules of conduct, good manners, or safety (including the dog's safety from traffic) should be observed. The dogs are loose outside the dog park, around the mailboxes, and sometimes walking the neighborhoods. I like pets but some pet owners are irresponsible. In my long life, I have only been bitten by dogs whose owners told me that "their dogs didn't bite".

I have more constructive things to do than to peek out my window all day waiting for a dog to 'litter' my yard and run out to confront the dog's owner. Turning on a sprinkle during such an incident also seems childish. I am not a stranger to confrontation. While "constructive confrontation" can have positive results, too often I have seen pride or embarrassment of people in such a situation turn into a "destructive confrontation". I would prefer others to be respectful of other people's property. I would prefer to be friends with my neighbors. The neighbors I have met have all been friendly. I would like to keep it that way.

If we are to be "America's Friendliest Hometown", the developer and other "powers that be" should at least respond to homeowners in such situations and not give more weight to the opinions of anonymous trolls. The trolls need to find a hobby other than sticking their noses into other people's business. The developers or respective committees need to respond to correspondence from homeowners.
The dog probably won’t make it to the park before having to poop. But they should pick it up no matter where it goes. Mine only goes in our yard or in the public areas while walking. Rarely in another’s yard. We always pick it up no matter where she goes.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We have a neighbor who drags the dog out of their yard, cross the street to use our lawn facilities. Cameras pick up each person, comes to my phone immediately. Have tried to have a conversation with video in hand. Doesn’t work.
Our lawn guy says we have more issues than any other customer, we get charged a pick up fee, before lawn is mowed, and yet we don’t have our dog here
A friend solved my similar issue with his two large Huskies. After the neighbors dogs utilized my lawn, his dogs went up the block and used theirs. After a few times their dogs went elsewhere.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:16 AM

That sounds like a plan. I am a fanatic about my lawn. I have dogs and they take a urine supplement so they don’t burn my grass. People need to be respectful of others. I even cut my own lawn besides all the landscaping so it surely ticks me off when others use my lawn as a potty
Old 07-10-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Install a motion detector that automatically starts your sprinkler. They will get the message. Record their reaction on video so that you can enjoy it with your friends. Send it to America's funniest videos and maybe make a few bucks. Post it on here so that we can enjoy it.
Now that’s an idea
Old 07-10-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny1 View Post
We bought on a corner lot last Jan. 2020. After moving in noticed our lot was literally the "Go TO PLACE" for neighbors dogs! Owned dogs all our lives, peed and pooped in our yard then walked. We also saw people walk dog to our yard do their business and turn around back to their own villa. Our question is when we return and display those no pee poop signs, will neighbors be offended and not welcome us back.? Also when we leave again, will signs just be ignored? MOST PICK UP some do not!
Once had a neighbor who let his dog poop in the front yard of my Court Yard Villa. I caught him once and asked him to stop. He said he would, but it continued. So every night I would take a shovel, pick it up, bring it to the back and throw it over the fence into his yard. After a week I never found poop in my yard again.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredpopcorn@gmail.com View Post
You buy on a golf course your house Is Fair game . Same with corner properties. I will admit some people are not diligent in controlling there dogs . What do you expect from old people. Its hard enough getting out and even walking. Give it a break and get out of the house and you may see less distractions. Lol
Please provide your address so we can forward to all dog owners in your area and let them know it is OK for their dogs to poop on our lawn and that you in fact welcome it!
Old 07-10-2020, 07:46 AM

Every dog I have ever had preferred not to poop in their own yard. Our dog now is the same. We can walk him around in our yard all day and he won't poop. I guess they think they should get as far away from where they live as possible to do their business. Luckily we have the dog park close by. I can understand the situation but people should ALWAYS pick up!!
Old 07-10-2020, 07:48 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown132 View Post
Once had a neighbor who let his dog poop in the front yard of my Court Yard Villa. I caught him once and asked him to stop. He said he would, but it continued. So every night I would take a shovel, pick it up, bring it to the back and throw it over the fence into his yard. After a week I never found poop in my yard again.
Did you ever check your roof?

Maybe he tossed it back and landed on your roof!

If so, perhaps they ended up in your gutters now fertilization your lawn another way!
Old 07-10-2020, 07:52 AM
Default Not fair game

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredpopcorn@gmail.com View Post
You buy on a golf course your house Is Fair game . Same with corner properties. I will admit some people are not diligent in controlling there dogs . What do you expect from old people. Its hard enough getting out and even walking. Give it a break and get out of the house and you may see less distractions. Lol

Because you live on a corner does not make you fair game. As far as it being old people, older people have much more respect than younger people. Plus older people generally have their dog on their property rather than walk to some corner house.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:53 AM

There are solar powered, motion detected sprinklers made just for that problem. Check them out on Amazon.
Closed Thread

Tags
yard, back, dogs, neighbors, signs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.