Please No Perfume at Concerts

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, unless movie theaters and live theaters, develop entirely new strict, enforceable rules about using cell phones, perfumes, and other distractions during performances, this problem will never be solved. Talking about it on a forum will do nothing to improve the situation. If these theaters ever want my business, they will change the way they deal with cell phones. Until then, I am staying home. One solution for movie theaters is to provide sound jacks where you can plug in noise cancelling headphones to block out the cell phone noises.
how can you make a law against perfume? who would enforce it, & what do you suppose the penalty should be? i'm not being sarcastic, am sincerely curious. thx
Old 03-11-2020, 07:44 AM
Default Seduce or turn-off

“One of the oldest uses of perfume comes from the burning of incense and aromatic herbs for religious services, often the aromatic gums, frankincense and myrrh gathered from trees. It did not take long, though, for people to discover perfume’s romantic potential and it was used both for seduction and as preparation for love-making”

Not only am I allergic to some scents, they make me nauseous as well. Try sitting anywhere near someone in a restaurant. I can almost taste it as well, blaming it on my extremely acute sense of smell.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlebuis View Post
I know it’s their right to wear perfume but please be considerate of others.
I’m sorry, but there is no “right” to pollute.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:59 AM

“One of the oldest uses of perfume comes from the burning of incense and aromatic herbs for religious services, often the aromatic gums, frankincense and myrrh gathered from trees. It did not take long, though, for people to discover perfume’s romantic potential and it was used both for seduction and as preparation for love-making”

Not only am I allergic to some scents, but they make me nauseous as well. Try sitting anywhere near someone in a restaurant; I can almost taste it as well, and blame it on my extremely acute sense of smell. Ruins my meal. There are other scents that are soft and pleasant and don’t affect me at all. If it’s must, Natural oils settle into the skin and are missing that ingredient. They don’t penetrate a 50 foot radius. There’s an ingredient in many scents that’s pungent and irritating. Many of the people wearing it are oblivious. Expensive scents, the ones with designer’s names aren’t any different, either. Who are these people trying to impress, or seduce? If they can’t smell it on themselves they don’t know how badly it affects and offends others. They’re probably the ones that complain about the smell of cigarettes and cigars. Try sitting in close quarters with a bunch of women who each love their scents. Scents-sory overload! Hopefully there will be just one offender reading this post. I’ve thrown away all of my perfume because I realize how awful it can be for others in my position.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
how can you make a law against perfume? who would enforce it, & what do you suppose the penalty should be? i'm not being sarcastic, am sincerely curious. thx
I am more turned off by cell phones, but, if theaters don't want to lose customers, they need to develop enforceable rules, not laws, to reduce as many distractions as possible. I like movies, but I never go to a movie theater because of the cell phone issue.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:09 AM

Kinda ironic that there is a HUGE ad for "China Rain" Perfume and other of your "Classic Berkeley Favorites" listed on this page that is complaining about perfume pollution...

I am a retired nurse, and noticed that LOTS of "older folks" would bathe in their colognes and perfumes. As we age, our olfactory receptors weaken (coupled with the fact that if you wear the same scent all the time, you almost become "immune" to how heavy it might be.

Given that, maybe all that decide they just can not give up their scents could ask someone they trust, "Hey, is my cologne too heavy?" and get some feedback about maybe being a little heavy-handed without realizing it. I do think something CAN be done to help not be offensive to others. The cell phone thingee….yeah, good luck with that. People don't even SPEAK to each other sitting out at restaurants anymore....everyone sitting there with their phone in their faces. We do have kids scattered all over the world (military), and if one of them calls, I answer to ensure everything is ok, and then tell them I will call back. However, I have my phone set on "do not disturb" mode 99% of the time, where only those listed in my contacts ring thru....unknown and calls go to V/M.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:05 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 532 Posts

Men, Stop wearing "cologne" it's gross. Trust me, it does not make you smell better or make you attractive to women. It's gross.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:47 AM
Send a message via AIM to navair4me
Default so true!

Regarding the people wearing perfume/men's cologne,etc....It's crazy!! I have allergy induced asthma so when I get a whiff of someone's "fragrance" or lingering smoke from a smoker it sends me into a coughing fit. Then the highly scented person (or smoker ..which is just as bad) looks at me like I'm "Typhoid Mary" when I start coughing from the "cloud" that encircles them. Seriously, people. you can't catch what I've got. I don"'t cough because it smells bad...I cough because it smells and I'm allergic to it.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

My grandmother taught me one method of applying perfume. Dab the CAP of the bottle against one wrist. Close the bottle and put it away.

Then use the "practically fumes" amount on that wrist, to rub against the other wrist. Then use both wrists and rub against the outer edge of each jawline. Then use whatever's left on your wrists to smooth down your skirt.

Someone else suggested using a spray, spritzing once up into the air 2 steps away from where you're standing, and then walk under whatever starts to fall from it.

I rarely wear perfume and I make some of it myself. What I do use, I use as sparingly as possible because one of them is stupidly expensive (Shalimar, undiluted perfume - not eau de toilette or perfume spray) and the other was discontinued years ago and I've diluted it with rubbing alcohol, and want it to last a little longer before it's gone (Abishag).
Old 03-11-2020, 12:27 PM

Absolutely! Drives me crazy, and sometimes nauseated, when someone is heavily perfumed!!
Old 03-11-2020, 02:23 PM

People on Chemo. are also sensitive to perfume and colonge scents.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranford61 View Post
I may be adjusting my hearing aids to the loudness of the performance. This is done on my iPhone.
Totally agree my wife does same thing.She does it discreetly by
covering the screen with her hand so she doesn't annoy others sitting around her
Old 03-11-2020, 06:36 PM

Same thing applies at church
Old 03-11-2020, 08:02 PM

I think it's really nice that people feel comfortable sharing their opinions and reasons for not wanting/not needing to be around perfumes, etc........ maybe the next step would be: when around someone who has the stuff on, to caringly say that you are allergic to perfumes and ask that they consider what they are doing when they go into close quarters in public from now on as they might be making someone sick the next day........ I think we need to feel comfortable addressing a situation right when it happens and not feel bad about it. It's ok to say what you need.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
I think it's really nice that people feel comfortable sharing their opinions and reasons for not wanting/not needing to be around perfumes, etc........ maybe the next step would be: when around someone who has the stuff on, to caringly say that you are allergic to perfumes and ask that they consider what they are doing when they go into close quarters in public from now on as they might be making someone sick the next day........ I think we need to feel comfortable addressing a situation right when it happens and not feel bad about it. It's ok to say what you need.
Some of them DO consider what they're doing, and do it anyway. Some of them don't consider it, and have no intention to consider it. Some of them are absolutely oblivious to it and don't even know it's a problem. Some people have a reduced sense of smell and wouldn't know that they put on too much.

One might think that if you approach someone who immediately starts wheezing and backs up, it's probably something about you causing it. But if you aren't attentive of your own surroundings in the first place, what makes me think you'd care enough to become attentive after I told you it was bothering me?

Too many people have a sense of entitlement - it's a free country and perfume is legal, therefore they don't owe you fresh air and they are free to dive into a vat of Chanel if that's what floats their boat. The cigar smoke bothers you downwind on the sidewalk cafe table while you're trying to eat? Tough noogies - it's a free country, try sitting upwind next time, or eat inside where all "you nonsmokers" go.

No one should HAVE to ask someone drenched in cologne to stop being drenched in cologne.
Closed Thread

Tags
orchestra, people, concert, perfume, center

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.