What an experience!!!!

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Founder
Default What an experience!!!!

I can talk about this now, I could not last week. I'm sure that many of you know the trial of the boys accused in the Villages murder case began last Tuesday with jury selection. I was in the original pool of 350 called for the case. I have been at the Marion County Courthouse every day since then.

The selection process went through every one of the prospective jurors called. As of this morning (Monday) there were still three to be seated. I was in the final 11 this afternoon. After sitting in the courtroom face to face with the defendants for about 7 hours, I was excused at about 5:30.

What an interesting experience. It is a death penalty case, so, the responsibility weighed heavily on me. A big part of me wanted to be selected, but another big part of me was greatly relieved when I was excused.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT
Default Re: What an experience!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
I can talk about this now, I could not last week. I'm sure that many of you know the trial of the boys accused in the Villages murder case began last Tuesday with jury selection. I was in the original pool of 350 called for the case. I have been at the Marion County Courthouse every day since then.

The selection process went through every one of the prospective jurors called. As of this morning (Monday) there were still three to be seated. I was in the final 11 this afternoon. After sitting in the courtroom face to face with the defendants for about 7 hours, I was excused at about 5:30.

What an interesting experience. It is a death penalty case, so, the responsibility weighed heavily on me. A big part of me wanted to be selected, but another big part of me was greatly relieved when I was excused.
I sure can understand your feelings. I've been on two, civil cases, and was quite an experience both times. I know, and feel privileged, to do this needed service, but, would much rather have that as a Utopian part of life, with no need for it.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:14 AM

I know how you feel Jan. I sat in on a drug related case in New York City and it was a fascinating experience. I would be unsure about a death penalty case. My son is the DA in York County SC, not my county, and they do try capital cases and its a very hard thing to watch. So I would prefer to never sit on a jury in a capital case.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:18 AM
Sage

Jan,

For those of us who are not in TV, would you be able to divulge any of the details of this case?

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Eternal Member

The important issue is, "Did you buy any baked goods from the clerk so her kid could go on the trip???". ??? ???
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie
Jan,

For those of us who are not in TV, would you be able to divulge any of the details of this case?
Two young men are accused of murdering a Piedmont resident in her home. Her husband was shot as well, but survived. Their visiting daughter was kidnapped by the two. There was a third young man involved, and he has turned states evidence and is scheduled to testify against the other two. The suspects were arrested following a chase north of Gainesville.

News reports said at the time that the three men were invited to the house by the daughter. Once there, it turned into a robbery. The wife was shot twice and the husband once, according to the reports. The husband managed to escape and call police. It was during that time period that the daughter was taken hostage and the family car was used in the escape. There are lots more details that were in the press, but I feel real odd about telling details, even though I have been excused as a juror.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle
The important issue is, "Did you buy any baked goods from the clerk so her kid could go on the trip???". ??? ???
I did buy some of the baked goods. Somebody must have complained to an authority. The practice stopped two days after it started. Although well intended, it was improper conduct in my opinion. The ladies in the Jury office were wonderful.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 AM
Sage

Good enough Jan, Thankyou. I didnt mean to put you on the spot.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:09 AM
Eternal Member

A fairly detailed account is at:
http://www.ocala.com/article/2007112...0360/1025/NEWS

I'm sure there are better reports somewhere on the web. One aspect of this crime that was rather sobering, the obvious tragedy aside, was a comment from one of the accused. He had stated that they expected to find a lot of money in the house. When asked why they thought there would be money there, he replied to the effect that these folks lived in the Villages and everybody knew that meant that they're rich. It scares the hell out of me that somebody might think I'm really rich and have piles of money in my house because I live in a bit better surroundings than they do.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 01-29-2008, 03:18 AM

That was a terrible murder last year If I was in your shoes and got selected boy, I would have many a sleepless night. But thinking about the mom who did not survive the attack It would have been the correct thing to do and serve on the jury.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:04 AM
JohnnyM

Hey Jan, I'm sure you would have done a great and unbiased job as a juror if you were selected. I'm sure you did TV proud as you went through your paces at the courthouse. Thanks for sharing. Johnny
Old 01-29-2008, 04:11 AM
Taltarzac

Yes, thanks for sharing this.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:39 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Jan,

I am sure this was a very disturbing case, to say the least..
One can only imagine the feelings and emotions the jurors have to deal with day in and day out..

All things happen for a reason, maybe it was better you were excused..

Thanks for sharing..The Villages Florida

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 01-29-2008, 12:03 PM

I don't think the daughter was all there mentally. The father got a restraining order against her after the murder. (Reported in newspaper) She has never been charged with anything but at the time we wondered if she had really been kidnapped.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan2bforever
I don't think the daughter was all there mentally. The father got a restraining order against her after the murder. (Reported in newspaper) She has never been charged with anything but at the time we wondered if she had really been kidnapped.
The defendants have been charged with kidnapping in addition to murder.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.