Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 AM
Default Latest map of reported sinkholes / ground stabilization in the Villages

I have not updated the map on this posting in 2 years. Here is the latest map. The map in 2015 had 10 locations posted. This map has 26. Of the new ones posted, some occurred prior to the original posting; most occurred after. Each location has a news article that provides validity. I make no claims or inferences in providing this. I am only providing information.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sinkholes_Ground stabilization_Villages MAP 2017-0718.pdf (732.9 KB, 877 views)
File Type: pdf Elevation_Occurrences.pdf (71.2 KB, 562 views)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeauregard View Post
All sinkholes are not publicized. For instance there was a sinkhole under one of the developer owned Villa's in Creekside Landing a couple of years ago that took a week's worth of cement trucks to fill. It was never mentioned in the Daily Sun or anywhere else.

Did you ever notice all the pipes sticking out of the ground when the land on which Brownwood sits was developed? I believe the developer pumps cement in them to stabilize the ground which isn't done in building new homes.

A lot of dirt is moved when building sites are prepared and I question whether it is being allowed to settle long enough before new homes are built on them?
I am skeptical of your information and summary. I don't think that the developer pumps cement in any area to stabilize the ground. Cement is pumped into sinkholes when they do occur. That is a fact.

I KNEW a couple of months ago that as soon as the rains started after a long period of drought we would have sinkholes. The worst area for sinkholes in Florida is in the area near Tampa.

It always boils down to panic on this forum and irrational causes and claims, especially after a LARGE sinkhole happens. I knew that somehow the developer would be blamed. I don't think the Morses OR God is at fault. I think it is a lot of water causing ground collapse in the limestone sub strata of the ground in West Central Florida
Old 07-20-2017, 11:19 AM

The elavation relationship does not make much sense. It might be better to identify how much the original land was changed, but that would be questionable. The other factor is water. Are there springs? Is there density variation in the underlying rock? That coupled with the high water table could cause the weakness that leads to the hole. The frequent large amounts of rain in rather local areas could also be a contributor. It is probably a natural process, like earth quakes.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
I have not updated the map on this posting in 2 years. Here is the latest map. The map in 2015 had 10 locations posted. This map has 26. Of the new ones posted, some occurred prior to the original posting; most occurred after. Each location has a news article that provides validity. I make no claims or inferences in providing this. I am only providing information.
Thank you for making and posting! (They are a bit hard to "comprehend" at first b/c the yellow dots don't have much contrast to show what we're looking for (would black dots be better? red?). But once you get the hang of it, if works and is informative.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:36 PM

When we were looking for homes in the Villages back in 2015 the realtor/salesperson took us up and down Hillsborough several times and had to navigate around the so called repair. When we suggested it was a sinkhole, she just smiled and suggested it was just an anomaly. Two days later she took us to a home just off Hillsborough at the intersection of Memory and Image Court and we loved it. She then informed us there was a disclosure on this property. When I asked what that was all about she produced a Engineering Report indicating that there was a sizable "hole" in the street at the foot of the driveway that took over 300 cubic yards of "gruel" to fill. I took a closer look at the house and could find no visual damage but after a while decided not to take a chance. That house stayed on the market for some time after that. I don't see that "anomaly" on Your map.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:50 PM
Default Thank you

Thanks VillagerFrog. Very interesting. Please keep this updated. I don't represent the developer or the unofficial chamber of commerce as some on this thread do. Information is always welcome.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:06 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Thanks VillagerFrog. Very interesting. Please keep this updated. I don't represent the developer or the unofficial chamber of commerce as some on this thread do. Information is always welcome.
From an article in Smithsonian Magazine.

"The number of reported sinkholes in The Villages has spiked in recent years. An official with The Villages Public Safety Department told the Orlando Sentinel that residents had reported “several” sinkholes in 2016, though none affecting homes—an assessment matched by the archives of **************. Ditto for 2015; in 2014 three sinkholes affected six homes.

In 2017, by stark contrast, at least 32 sinkholes were reported by that independent news site. At least eight homes were affected, plus a country club, a busy intersection, a Lowe’s home improvement store, and the local American Legion post, the largest in the world. (The Daily Sun, a large newspaper owned by The Villages’ developer, reported on none of them except the one at the busy intersection, only to say the hole was “later determined not likely” a sinkhole.) In just the first three months of 2018, at least 11 sinkholes were reported by **************, affecting eight homes—all before sinkhole season even started, in early spring. Four more sinkholes sprang up this week."

The ******s are the unmentionable news source.

The Science Behind Florida’s Sinkhole Epidemic
|
Science | Smithsonian

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-28-2018, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post

Old 10-02-2018, 06:51 AM

You seem to be interested in sinkholes. I'm considering making a fictional film called Sinkhole and maybe we could talk. I'm a filmmaker.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

VillageFrog58, thank you for your observations regarding the sinkholes in TV.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-13-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

Anybody know of any sinkholes since the last posting on this Thread? Overall a good informational Thread as long as it is not taken out of context.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Anybody know of any sinkholes since the last posting on this Thread? Overall a good informational Thread as long as it is not taken out of context.
Nope. I really expected one recently when we had a LOT of rain after a sort of dry spell.

I don't know how anybody can plot where one will be but there is a lot of information about where they have occurred which is in the west-central part of Florida. Just google; Map of sinkholes in Florida and you will get a bunch.

map of sinkholes in florida 2019 - Bing
Old 10-07-2019, 02:03 PM
Default Sinkhole

There was one on Fenster in Fernandina about six or seven years ago. It always seemed to me that they occurred on golf courses or on retention ponds.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the map.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.
Hello,
I am new to this forum but feel compelled to reply. Thank you very much for your hard work and attention to detail. I found it very interesting, informative.and quite helpful as I am exploring some homes online and hope to purchase one in the near future. Thank you again.

Tags
elevation, villages, occurred, sinkholes, dot, yellow, put, past, areas, feet, plotted, google, chart, website, location, date, portions, higher, post, lowest, add, locations, occurring, sinkhole, btw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.