Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Old 10-17-2019, 08:54 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=graciegirl;1075356]Seems that would be catastrophic and that is covered by homeowners insurance.

This is an ad, but has some good info;

Sinkhole vs. Catastrophic Ground Coverage Collapse[/

Following 4 things must occur for cat ground collapse to respond.

1. Must be visable
2. Must be sudden and abrupt
3. Immediate structural damage
4. Must be condemned

Sinkhole:
1. Does not have to be visible (could be under home)
2. Does not have to be sudden and abrupt (can open and then grow and do damage to home)
3. There has be be structural damage
4. Does not have to be condemned
Old 11-30-2019, 07:24 PM

We also appreciate this information. Moving from TX to TV in 2020, have no experience with "sinkholes" and can deal with the rest of the things weather/extreme heat and humidity/hurricanes bring as we deal with it now. Want all the info I can get on sinkholes, just to be better informed. ANYTHING is better than earthquakes....ANYTHING!
Old 12-01-2019, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
We also appreciate this information. Moving from TX to TV in 2020, have no experience with "sinkholes" and can deal with the rest of the things weather/extreme heat and humidity/hurricanes bring as we deal with it now. Want all the info I can get on sinkholes, just to be better informed. ANYTHING is better than earthquakes....ANYTHING!
Welcome to you. Every area has it's woes. WE have the countries most lightning strikes in central Florida. We have fire ants that really hurt and sting, we have sinkholes (but very seldom...You might hear of one about once a year and may never hear unless there is a significant one) We have a LOT of people who live here with wrinkles and wisdom and a sense of humor.

We have had many deaths due to golf cart accidents in the past dozen years and many deaths due to age as well. We do NOT have the often reported urban legend of sexually transmitted disease that is off the charts. People DO have sex here and sometimes they aren't married.

There are very few unplanned pregnancies here. In fact I haven't ever heard of a single case.

Dogs are unfairly targeted by some as naughty when it is the dog's owner who will allow some of them to poop in other people's yards. You need to have a plastic bag from the Daily Sun obviously hanging out of your pocket when walking your dog if you want folks to smile at both of you.

Welcome home.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We have a LOT of people who live here with wrinkles and wisdom and a sense of humor.
This is not a funny subject !
The Developer will NOT stand behind you if you have a sinkhole, or a DRY Lake behind your house. Homeowners insurance has a lot of loopholes to jump through. Do yourself a favor and read up on abandoned homes here, and ruined dreams... Google the following for examples:
"sinkhole at 733 Winifred Way" and "sinkhole at 17092 McLawren Terrace" and "sinkhole at 2536 Botello Ave", there are more, but you get the idea, watch out for those waterfront views.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,352 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
The Developer will NOT stand behind you if you have a sinkhole, or a DRY Lake behind your house. Homeowners insurance has a lot of loopholes to jump through. Do yourself a favor and read up on abandoned homes here, and ruined dreams... Google the following for examples:
"sinkhole at 733 Winifred Way" and "sinkhole at 17092 McLawren Terrace" and "sinkhole at 2536 Botello Ave", there are more, but you get the idea, watch out for those waterfront views.
Not sure why any developer should cover sinkhole damage, (they don't cover storm damage). It is common knowledge that a water front home is not guaranteed to always have water.
Although very important to those effected by sinkholes the number relative to total homes is rather small.
The sky is not falling...…….
Old 12-01-2019, 12:26 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
The Developer will NOT stand behind you if you have a sinkhole, or a DRY Lake behind your house.

Why should a developer "stand behind"???

Old 12-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Once you have bought it’s all yours. There is no warranty on land or view, building and appliances yes, but no one gives a warranty that the land or water around your property will stay the same in perpetuity.

Therefore, you yourself need to do as much research as you have to do to satisfy your interests, before you buy. Once you have bought it is too late.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:49 PM

About 2 years ago, there was a sink hole in the vicinity of 1398 Abercrombie Way. About 4 months ago, there were 2 sink holes on the 2nd hole of either Longleaf or Loblolly Executive Course. Can't recall which course was affected.

More recently, there appears to have been 2 sink holes develop around the retention pond next to the Poinciana swimming pool. Workers have been remediating the area for the past several weeks. When I asked about the issues, the folks would not confirm that they were sink holes.

Last edited by Annie66; 12-09-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
I don't undersatnd this thinking. "I have a sinkhole, and I expect the guy who built my house to do somethnig about it."
Old 12-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,352 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
About 2 years ago, there was a sink hole in the vicinity of 1398 Abercrombie Way. About 4 months ago, there were 2 sink holes on the 2nd hole of either Longleaf or Loblolly Executive Course. Can't recall which course was affected.

More recently, there appears to have been 2 sink holes develop around the retention pond next to the Poinciana swimming pool. Workers have been remediating the area for the past several weeks. When I asked about the issues, the folks would not confirm that they were sink holes.
S, maybe none of these were sink holes...…..
Old 12-13-2019, 06:08 AM

IMHO, from what I know, the best answer is to keep sink hole insurance on your property, because you'll never know for sure where a sink hole will occur. Before we bought our house in TV, I was ready to proceed on the purchase of another house, which had everything I wanted, until I found out it had been treated for a sink hole a few years ago. And yes, it was below market value, but only by about 15%.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying but it was determined that the home at 733 Winifred Way didn't suffer a sinkhole. It was analyzed by Sumter County engineering and found to be a failed drainage pipe that caused the hole. The other news published that on 8/30/18 along with engineering photos showing where the drain pipe had been compromised.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:10 AM
Default Thank you! Good to know!

Good to know! Thank you for putting this together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:58 AM
Gold member
Default Pumping of our aquifer for commercial water bottling = more sinkholes

To refresh people's recollection: Our Sumter County Commissioners refused to oppose pumping of our aquifer for commercial water bottling-- thereby increasing our risk of both sinkholes and water shortages. This happened just a few years ago and, naturally, got virtually no coverage in The Daily Sun. Newcomers can read about it by doing a search in the on-line newspaper for: SWR Properties.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
To refresh people's recollection: Our Sumter County Commissioners refused to oppose pumping of our aquifer for commercial water bottling-- thereby increasing our risk of both sinkholes and water shortages. This happened just a few years ago and, naturally, got virtually no coverage in The Daily Sun. Newcomers can read about it by doing a search in the on-line newspaper for: SWR Properties.
Zephyr Hills is in Pasco, County.

Tags
elevation, villages, occurred, sinkholes, dot, yellow, put, past, areas, feet, plotted, google, chart, website, location, date, portions, higher, post, lowest, add, locations, occurring, sinkhole, btw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.