Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Old 09-12-2020, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=graciegirl;1831124]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post

When WAS that meeting?
June 9.2016..you must remember!!!! "A Southwest Florida Water Management District official said Wednesday that the district plans to approve a 20-year water use permit for an Ocala company to pump nearly 500,000 gallons of water daily from two springs along County Road 470 near Sumterville.The well normally would operate 13 hours daily and fill 80 trucks with 6,200 gallons each, according to the permit application. In peak months, it would operate around-the-clock and pump 892,000 gallons, filling 144 trucks. " quote from other news site

Last edited by stan the man; 09-12-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:45 AM

We almost purchased a home in the village.of Alhambra last February. Come to find out that house and a few others were victims of sink holes and the news wasn't disclosed in the seller's statement.we found out by going online and investigating. Beware
Old 11-13-2020, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
To me, predicting sinkholes is like predicting 100 year floods.

IMO Unless you’re under, around street drains, or retention pond transfer tubes. IMO the odds go up ^^^
Old 11-13-2020, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.
Since I been here 90% or greater sinkhole I’ve seen was in close proximity or under street drain, retention pond, or irrigation transfers tubes.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Plotting a map where sinkholes have been is about as useful as knowing where divorces have occurred.

Just google.."Map of sinkholes in Florida".

Here is one;

https://public-media.si-cdn.com/file...-sinkholes.jpg
Old 11-13-2020, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This is one of those things like Global Warming....we know it is happening but not a whole big lot can be done about it. At this time.

Knowing WHERE the next sinkhole will be other than somewhere in Central-West Florida is all we know.

So...we can move away from here. Then there are lightning strikes too. What can we do about them? Don't have gas appliances is my answer.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.
Hi, I just contracted for a home in Monarch Grove. I was told by the villagers insurance that there was a sinkhole within a mile of out home and therefore Progressive would not insure our home. Does anyone know of a sinkhole near Harter Way?
Old 07-13-2021, 11:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

I wonder if the OP is still around. He hasn't posted on TOTV in almost a year. There's been at least 2 sink holes since then.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
I wonder if the OP is still around. He hasn't posted on TOTV in almost a year. There's been at least 2 sink holes since then.
And there will be more……so…..?
Old 07-13-2021, 01:43 PM
Default Did this back in 2016

Quote:
I did this exact same thing back in 2016 when we were going to come down in early 2017 to buy. I used a Geological Survey Map of Elevations and research all I could find about Sinkholes over the prior numerous years and mapped them out on the survey.

There was a Post here back then with similar theory. Some discussion occurred but evidence seemed to support the Theory in my mind so I ran with it.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:35 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
And there will be more……so…..?
I like his map.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdennis317 View Post
I did this exact same thing back in 2016 when we were going to come down in early 2017 to buy. I used a Geological Survey Map of Elevations and research all I could find about Sinkholes over the prior numerous years and mapped them out on the survey.

There was a Post here back then with similar theory. Some discussion occurred but evidence seemed to support the Theory in my mind so I ran with it.

What was your theory?
Old 07-25-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comptoncb View Post
Hi, I just contracted for a home in Monarch Grove. I was told by the villagers insurance that there was a sinkhole within a mile of out home and therefore Progressive would not insure our home. Does anyone know of a sinkhole near Harter Way?
I'd be interested in this. This is near where we are buying.

I always have this in the back of my mind.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17362 View Post
There was sinkholes they filled and had Road all torn up last year (2019) up at Calumet Grove by the golf course and Calumet mailbox’s.
Isn’t that area about 17-20 years ago houses made by The Villages?
I see you live in Chatham where I'm in the process of buying a home. What's the sink hole situation there? It's near to Calumet Grove so that's why I'm wondering.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:08 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
OP, interesting information and as you mentioned----unscientific. When we first retired, we built a home in Royal Highlands which is about 12 miles south of Leesburg. The very first sinkhole was a large one and at the highest elevation in the subdivision. ???? Not having any education or training on this subject matter, I don't know what this means or what your poll of sinkholes in TV means either.

Perhaps someone with "knowledge" of sinkholes can comment. All I know, and have read, a sinkhole can happen just about anywhere in Florida---especially Central Florida.
Adult children in Missouri near St. Louis have experienced two of them... had to do with "limestone" in the earth there being very fragile.

Tags
elevation, villages, occurred, sinkholes, dot, yellow, put, past, areas, feet, plotted, google, chart, website, location, date, portions, higher, post, lowest, add, locations, occurring, sinkhole, btw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.