Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Old 06-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Default Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sinkholes in Villages MAP 2015-0615.pdf (2.84 MB, 23460 views)

Last edited by VillagerFrog58; 06-15-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: correct spelling nit
Old 06-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Default Here are some of the post articles used for mapping

Here five of the recent ones that I have.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Wow, this is impressive. Now I do not recall the details, but there was some talk among the neighbors of a sinkhole near the western end of yearling way, you have the one near the eastern end.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Default Yearling way....

Villagetinker, the one on the eastern end of Yearling way is actually up on the next street on 1906 and 1912 Ussepa Oaks Lane located in the Village of
Pinnelas. This was the sinkhole on the new houses that occurred before they were sold and they had to be fixed by the developer before they could be sold.

If you have any documentation on the one on the western edge, just let me know.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Default The one on the eastern end of yearling is actually on Ussepa Oaks Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Wow, this is impressive. Now I do not recall the details, but there was some talk among the neighbors of a sinkhole near the western end of yearling way, you have the one near the eastern end.
In the article attached, there was a sinkhole affecting 2 new houses before they were sold that had to be repaired by the developer. If you have more specifics on the western side of Yearling.....
Old 06-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

OP, interesting information and as you mentioned----unscientific. When we first retired, we built a home in Royal Highlands which is about 12 miles south of Leesburg. The very first sinkhole was a large one and at the highest elevation in the subdivision. ???? Not having any education or training on this subject matter, I don't know what this means or what your poll of sinkholes in TV means either.

Perhaps someone with "knowledge" of sinkholes can comment. All I know, and have read, a sinkhole can happen just about anywhere in Florida---especially Central Florida.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 AM
Gold member

Looking around for more info on whether higher elevation is protective against sinkholes here in FL, I read this article from FL Geological Survey, with this excerpt:
"....In general, areas of the state where limestone is close to surface, or areas with deeper limestone but with a conducive configuration of water table elevation, stratigraphy, and aquifer characteristics have increased sinkhole activity....."
The entire article is instructive:

Facts about sinkholes in Florida - WFLA News Channel 8
Old 06-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We looked at a couple of houses in Lake Deaton that had small sinkholes repaired. This included the house with the sinkhole and the adjacent houses. The discount was minimal and since you need to disclose any knowledge of a sinkhole on the property you want to insure to the insurer it didn't seem to be a worthwhile discount, nor worth loosing sleep over. We opted out. BTW, the houses in question were at the bottom of a long hill, about the same elevation as a couple of ponds.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Veteran member

They just plugged one in Dunedin on the north side of Hillsborough. They were filling it with concrete last week....one of the houses that haven't been sold yet.....approximately 150 ft West from Viola and Hillsborough.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:23 PM

We are visiting soon and looking to buy so I wondered about the sinkhole issue. This is very helpful. Thank you.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Email Reported As Spam

To me, predicting sinkholes is like predicting 100 year floods.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:04 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Thanks Frogger.................I enjoyed the information.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.
Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to do this. More importantly, thanks for sharing it. We looked at one the new houses that had a repaired sinkhole. Our villages agent informed us about it and we moved on.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:05 PM
Default Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
Thank you for this info. Unfortunately, I could not read the research as nothing happened when I clicked on it. Please tell me how I can determine the elevation of a property in which I am interested in buying. Do the sales reps have info regarding that question?
Old 06-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

I would like an experenced Geologist give us his/her take on if there is any correlation between sinkholes and elevation level of your property. I am skeptical.

Tags
elevation, villages, occurred, sinkholes, dot, yellow, put, past, areas, feet, plotted, google, chart, website, location, date, portions, higher, post, lowest, add, locations, occurring, sinkhole, btw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.