Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Old 01-14-2022, 05:13 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
We are visiting soon and looking to buy so I wondered about the sinkhole issue. This is very helpful. Thank you.

Don't become paranoid about it, but DO a LOT of homework. Florida government website also keep maps with good stats, and you definitely want to make sure you talk in person with the insurance agency you are going to use and make SURE you understand the differences in the coverage and especially the "TERMS" used in the language ! ! HOME WORK PAYS
Old 04-20-2022, 07:46 PM
Default detecting sinkholes

Thanks for the link on the geology paper for central FL In some cases it is possible to detect sinkholes using geophysical methods. One is ground penetrating radar(GPR). The depth of detection is inversely proportional to the frequency. But the resolution is lower for lower frequencies. So using higher frequencies gives more detail but won't detect as deep. Ground penetrating radar devices are very expensive. There are companies out there that can do a study of your property. You can easily find them with a search engine. I would put one here, but someone might think that I am promoting it and have an interest in their business.

If you are an electronics enthusiast I saw some plans on how to build one, but I am not sure of its performance, and so far I haven't found a link for the source code.

You could use statistics to formally look for a correlation between elevation and sinkholes. Those with lower elevation though are also closer to layers where the FL aquifer is, and where conduits and caves would form. So GPR would not have as far to go to reach that layer. Clay soils and moisture greatly affect GPR by reducing the range of the signal. Under those conditions you may not get the detection depth that you want.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:59 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy
Default Sinkholes in TV

Thank you very much for this article and the work you’ve done. I appreciate also all comments to this topic.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:48 PM

The compass app on your iPhone gives the elevation where the phone is located.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:38 PM

Wow! Thank you!
Old 03-07-2023, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyHome352 View Post
Wow! Thank you!
Who?
Old 05-18-2023, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
Here five of the recent ones that I have.
I'm in Mallory Square. Yikes! I do have something to worry about. Life is not all a bowl of cherries.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:52 PM
Gold member
Default Sinkholes

Sinkholes occur when limestone is eroded away by water. Almost the entire state of Florida is on a limestone base. Perhaps (unscientifically speaking), water gathers from rains etc to the lowest spots and accelerates erosion. This kind of endorses you hypotheses?

Politics is made up of two words: "Poli," which is Greek for "many," and "tics," which are bloodsucking insects.—Gore Vidal
Old 05-19-2023, 07:43 AM

Considering the number of homes here in the Villages sinkholes are a very rare occurrence. You are more likely to have a home fire. Companies are making a lot of money on that insurance coverage.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:57 AM
Default Great Job

I wonder if we laid this map over the florida sinkhole rating map if we would find any answers.

I am very interested in this topic and its seems like no one wants to talk about it.

How can a person invest 500k into a house that may sink into the ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
To me, predicting sinkholes is like predicting 100 year floods.
IMO I’d say 500 year floods unless water Main breaks or retention pond drain/transfer pipes are involved then it goes way up like predicting winner of 10 horse races.

IMO majority of sinkholes most likely would not of occurred if development had not taken place.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robojo View Post
I wonder if we laid this map over the florida sinkhole rating map if we would find any answers.

I am very interested in this topic and its seems like no one wants to talk about it.

You might be able have penetrating ground inspection that my show something if it does and have it filled in before build house (but that may cost more than house?)Like ones they do when sinkhole occurs before they fill it in. I sure it’s pretty expensive? I don’t know it it’s allowed on new or resale homes already built?
Old 01-30-2024, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robojo View Post

There is a Florida sinkhole rating map??

We live in one of the most active lightning areas in the US. How can a person invest 500k into a house that may get hit by lightning? Whether it's lightning, blizzards, floods, wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes you cannot get away from natural disasters. Do what you can to avoid them, do what you can to prepare for them, then buy your 500k house where you feel the rewards outweigh the risks.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-30-2024, 08:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
There is a Florida sinkhole rating map??

We live in one of the most active lightning areas in the US. How can a person invest 500k into a house that may get hit by lightning? Whether it's lightning, blizzards, floods, wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes you cannot get away from natural disasters. Do what you can to avoid them, do what you can to prepare for them, then buy your 500k house where you feel the rewards outweigh the risks.

Or have good insurance policy and good lawyer.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:52 PM
Default Major sink hole on Hillsborough road beside Pensacola golf course!

About 7 years ago a major sink hole (developer says depression) was directly under Hillsborough road by Pensacola golf course. It took several weeks for developers to repair. I believe it was 20 feet deep.

Have you completed your great research south of H44?

Tags
elevation, villages, occurred, sinkholes, dot, yellow, put, past, areas, feet, plotted, google, chart, website, location, date, portions, higher, post, lowest, add, locations, occurring, sinkhole, btw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.