Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Old 06-18-2015, 12:13 AM

So how do you figure out the elevation?
Old 06-18-2015, 06:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Seems that would be catastrophic and that is covered by homeowners insurance.

This is an ad, but has some good info;

Sinkhole vs. Catastrophic Ground Coverage Collapse
If there's no structural damage to the home there is no coverage. You could have a large sinkhole on your property that has not damage to your home.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.

Two more sinkholes to add to the chart. Ashland and Sabel Chase.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:01 PM
Default Updated sinkhole map Jul 7th with Ashland & Sabal Chase added

Added the 2 new ones.
July - Village of Ashland 2144 Ellison Place
June - Village of Sabal Chase 1637 Homer Ave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sinkholes in Villages MAP 2015-0707.pdf (898.0 KB, 1549 views)
Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.
Yikes, my house appears to be sitting on a sinkhole. Would you mind naming the street off Hillsboro and what appears to be Neighborly Way?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:01 AM

I looked at my pdf that I posted and I don't see any by Hillsboro by Neighborly Way. Are you perhaps mistaken? Also, remember that the numbers posted are NOT the depth of the sinkhole but the elevation of the land where the sinkhole occurred.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Default Added 2 more reported sinkholes

Added the two reported at Fulcrum Place and Zydeco Court in Dunedin and also Sunset Pointe at the Hibiscus Rec Center.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
OP, interesting information and as you mentioned----unscientific. When we first retired, we built a home in Royal Highlands which is about 12 miles south of Leesburg. The very first sinkhole was a large one and at the highest elevation in the subdivision. ???? Not having any education or training on this subject matter, I don't know what this means or what your poll of sinkholes in TV means either.

Perhaps someone with "knowledge" of sinkholes can comment. All I know, and have read, a sinkhole can happen just about anywhere in Florida---especially Central Florida.

I agree with justjim.

What is the purpose of this? Sinkholes are random and do not occur any more here in The Villages than in surrounding areas.

Sinkholes make people frightened and so far there is no way to predict or protect people from where they will happen....much the same as hurricanes.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Added the two reported at Fulcrum Place and Zydeco Court in Dunedin and also Sunset Pointe at the Hibiscus Rec Center.
Thanks for adding this information. Sinkholes, from USGS Water-Science School http://www.thevillagesfloridabook.co...-need-to-know/
Old 08-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree with justjim.

What is the purpose of this? Sinkholes are random and do not occur any more here in The Villages than in surrounding areas.

Sinkholes make people frightened and so far there is no way to predict or protect people from where they will happen....much the same as hurricanes.
Knowledge is power.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Knowledge is power.
I do think links to topics that might be unpopular with the Chamber of Commerce of various areas are important.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Knowledge is power.
The power to do what?
Old 08-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
The power to do what?
Maybe to purchase land that has a low probability of getting a sinkhole.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
The power to do what?
The power to make a more informed decision. Same as earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, airline accidents.....

Last edited by outlaw; 08-29-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Knowledge is power.

Yes it is. But mapping where sinkholes have been is about the same as finding out where divorces occurred.

Tags
elevation, villages, occurred, sinkholes, dot, yellow, put, past, areas, feet, plotted, google, chart, website, location, date, portions, higher, post, lowest, add, locations, occurring, sinkhole, btw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.