Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 06-18-2015, 12:13 AM
LeeM LeeM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 193
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So how do you figure out the elevation?
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old 06-18-2015, 06:17 AM
TNLAKEPANDA's Avatar
TNLAKEPANDA TNLAKEPANDA is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: East TN
Posts: 1,174
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Seems that would be catastrophic and that is covered by homeowners insurance.

This is an ad, but has some good info;

Sinkhole vs. Catastrophic Ground Coverage Collapse
If there's no structural damage to the home there is no coverage. You could have a large sinkhole on your property that has not damage to your home.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #33  
Old 07-07-2015, 03:04 PM
rustyp rustyp is online now
Gold member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,175
Thanks: 10
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.

Two more sinkholes to add to the chart. Ashland and Sabel Chase.
Reply With Quote
Updated sinkhole map Jul 7th with Ashland & Sabal Chase added
  #34  
Old 07-07-2015, 04:01 PM
VillagerFrog58 VillagerFrog58 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Updated sinkhole map Jul 7th with Ashland & Sabal Chase added

Added the 2 new ones.
July - Village of Ashland 2144 Ellison Place
June - Village of Sabal Chase 1637 Homer Ave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sinkholes in Villages MAP 2015-0707.pdf (898.0 KB, 480 views)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 AM
LynnWM158 LynnWM158 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.
Yikes, my house appears to be sitting on a sinkhole. Would you mind naming the street off Hillsboro and what appears to be Neighborly Way?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-28-2015, 10:01 AM
VillagerFrog58 VillagerFrog58 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I looked at my pdf that I posted and I don't see any by Hillsboro by Neighborly Way. Are you perhaps mistaken? Also, remember that the numbers posted are NOT the depth of the sinkhole but the elevation of the land where the sinkhole occurred.
Reply With Quote
Added 2 more reported sinkholes
  #37  
Old 08-28-2015, 09:30 AM
VillagerFrog58 VillagerFrog58 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Added 2 more reported sinkholes

Added the two reported at Fulcrum Place and Zydeco Court in Dunedin and also Sunset Pointe at the Hibiscus Rec Center.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-28-2015, 10:00 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 36,640
Thanks: 467
Thanked 224 Times in 135 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
OP, interesting information and as you mentioned----unscientific. When we first retired, we built a home in Royal Highlands which is about 12 miles south of Leesburg. The very first sinkhole was a large one and at the highest elevation in the subdivision. ???? Not having any education or training on this subject matter, I don't know what this means or what your poll of sinkholes in TV means either.

Perhaps someone with "knowledge" of sinkholes can comment. All I know, and have read, a sinkhole can happen just about anywhere in Florida---especially Central Florida.





I agree with justjim.


What is the purpose of this? Sinkholes are random and do not occur any more here in The Villages than in surrounding areas.


Sinkholes make people frightened and so far there is no way to predict or protect people from where they will happen....much the same as hurricanes.
__________________
I used to be delighted. And now I am deleted.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-28-2015, 11:12 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 40,042
Thanks: 354
Thanked 174 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
Added the two reported at Fulcrum Place and Zydeco Court in Dunedin and also Sunset Pointe at the Hibiscus Rec Center.
Thanks for adding this information. Sinkholes, from USGS Water-Science School http://www.thevillagesfloridabook.co...-need-to-know/
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-28-2015, 11:19 AM
outlaw outlaw is offline
Soaring Eagle member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,010
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree with justjim.


What is the purpose of this? Sinkholes are random and do not occur any more here in The Villages than in surrounding areas.


Sinkholes make people frightened and so far there is no way to predict or protect people from where they will happen....much the same as hurricanes.
Knowledge is power.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
elevation, villages, occurred, sinkholes, dot, yellow, put, past, areas, feet, plotted, google, chart, website, location, date, portions, higher, post, lowest, add, locations, occurring, sinkhole, btw

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.