Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Old 08-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
The power to make a more informed decision. Same earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, airline accidents.....
Moving to the villages at the end of your career takes a certain amount of courage unless your family also lives around here.

Last edited by tomwed; 08-28-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Sinkholes possibilities are a matter of life in many areas of the country. Live with it or move on. To limit discussions or data presented can be construed to be similar to activities by others that we might disdain. As long as the discussion follows the guidelines of this forum, so be it.

However, I also feel that the chances of my house being hit by a lightning strike is greater than a sinkhole forming near it. I can live with the extreme unlikely hood of both possibilities in the Villages.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:54 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

From the linked 2013 article:
"Three counties in the Tampa Bay area are known as “sinkhole alley.” Two-thirds of the sinkhole damage claims reported to the state Office of Insurance Regulation in 2006-2010 came from Hernando, Hillsborough and Pasco counties." Scientists creating map to determine likelihood of sinkholes | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Sage

In my opinion, the biggest takeaway from that map/report:

"The result will be a detailed, multi-layered map that shows where sinkholes are most likely to form, but doesnt predict where and when individual sinkholes will occur.

'If someone could do that, theyd be a very wealthy person,' Kromhout said."
Old 08-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Sage
Default Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Moving to the villages at the end of your career takes a certain amount of courage unless your family also lives around here.
Tom - I think moving anywhere takes some courage. Having said that, my wife is the most courageous person I know. She moved 14 times with me. (In 46 years of marriage.) The move to TV has been the easiest and best...as is she.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:30 AM

After reading the article about sinkholes that 'Sunnyatlast' posted (thanks) it seems to me that the idea proposed, that sinkholes occur at lower elevations' is proof of the old concept of statistical analysis that "high Correlation is not indicative of a causal effect". It looks to me more like soil composition under the home has more to do with the formation of sinkholes than the elevation.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I see no benefit to this endeavor of pinpointing where sinkholes have been here in The Villages other than to bring up a subject that incites worry.

I see no purpose to this map of a very small area. I do believe that collecting information about sinkholes is better addressed by experts in geology.

The Science of Sinkholes | Science Features
Old 08-31-2015, 07:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I see no benefit to this endeavor of pinpointing where sinkholes have been here in The Villages other than to bring up a subject that incites worry.

I see no purpose to this map of a very small area. I do believe that collecting information about sinkholes is better addressed by experts in geology.

The Science of Sinkholes | Science Features
I could not agree more.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,316 Times in 499 Posts

Thank you for the information. It's very interesting. There's nothing wrong with sharing a theory and you did say it was just that. You did not say that it was a scientific theory, even though some on here took it as such. There was a sink hole in the retention pond just North of my home that you documented. I do enjoy these type of studies. It brings out sources of information that I may not have located in a simple search. I did not see this as a warning, but as a sharing of information. Overlaying it on a map of the Villages was a great idea.

Thank you for sharing your research.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Thank you for the information. It's very interesting. There's nothing wrong with sharing a theory and you did say it was just that. You did not say that it was a scientific theory, even though some on here took it as such. There was a sink hole in the retention pond just North of my home that you documented. I do enjoy these type of studies. It brings out sources of information that I may not have located in a simple search. I did not see this as a warning, but as a sharing of information. Overlaying it on a map of the Villages was a great idea.

We are all different. Now I would enjoy seeing a map showing where both of the Michigan fans live.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:13 AM
Sage

Moving to TV from another part of the country that was not affected by sinkholes, tornadoes, lightning strikes and hurricanes, sans Sandy, one could get afraid to move here.

Although the info was enlightning, I agree it serves no useful purpose to people who are hesitant to move, for a variety of concerns, especially sinkholes, that are rare, considering how many homes, are affected.

I remember being shaken, after the first week of moving here, to hear of a house being burned to the ground. One has the have the courage to realize these occurances are rare, and need to get past them. Every part of the country is affected by some natural disasters so no place is totally safe.

I'll take my chance in paradise.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-31-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post

I agree! I found your chart very interesting and appreciate all of the different perspectives that resulted because you did share this chart with us. I personally feel that talking things out, helped dismiss unfounded fears I have. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:38 AM

This is interesting but you seem to have cut the top of the map off a bit. We live all the way at the top in Chatham.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:40 AM
Default Building on Unstable Ground

All sinkholes are not publicized. For instance there was a sinkhole under one of the developer owned Villa's in Creekside Landing a couple of years ago that took a week's worth of cement trucks to fill. It was never mentioned in the Daily Sun or anywhere else.

Did you ever notice all the pipes sticking out of the ground when the land on which Brownwood sits was developed? I believe the developer pumps cement in them to stabilize the ground which isn't done in building new homes.

A lot of dirt is moved when building sites are prepared and I question whether it is being allowed to settle long enough before new homes are built on them?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:45 AM

I live on an elevation of almost 100 feet, and there was large sinkhole not far from me.

Tags
elevation, villages, occurred, sinkholes, dot, yellow, put, past, areas, feet, plotted, google, chart, website, location, date, portions, higher, post, lowest, add, locations, occurring, sinkhole, btw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.