Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Old 03-08-2020, 02:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Zephyr Hills is in Pasco, County.
The Sumter County pumping is located down by Sumterville. This is explained in the cited articles. I am not sure what the geographic location of Zephyrhills has to do with it.

Last edited by Advogado; 03-08-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
To refresh people's recollection: Our Sumter County Commissioners refused to oppose pumping of our aquifer for commercial water bottling-- thereby increasing our risk of both sinkholes and water shortages. This happened just a few years ago and, naturally, got virtually no coverage in The Daily Sun. Newcomers can read about it by doing a search in the on-line newspaper for: SWR Properties.

That's a pretty crazy thing to do.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Gold member
Default What motivated the Commissioners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
That's a pretty crazy thing to do.
Indeed. You have to wonder what motivated the Sumter County Commissioners not to vigorously oppose the pumping of the aquifer for commercial bottling, especially in light of the massive expansion of The Villages-- thereby increasing the risk of sinkholes due to the pumping.

In addition, that massive expansion will probably double our need for water right here in Sumter County, leading to the risk of possible water shortages-- as well as increasing the risk of sinkholes due to development itself. With respect to a possible water shortage, all but the newbies will recall that we had water rationing here just a couple of years ago.

For an article about The Villages being in Sinkhole alley and the connection between development, aquifer pumping, and sinkholes, see: The Science Behind Florida’s Sinkhole Epidemic
|
Science

| Smithsonian Magazine

Last edited by Advogado; 03-09-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.
Thanks for this info, very interesting.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

Be careful what information you get about where sinkholes are ,the author took his time and it’s very interesting , but other people love spreading rumors . When I moved into haciendas of Mission Hill there were many rumors of sink holes that were not true , also I’ve been in Florida 30years and no one has found a way to predict sinkholes but the more Florida has been built up the more the ground water shifts the more sinkholes that’s the future
Old 06-20-2020, 08:34 PM
Cool Being cruel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
To me, predicting sinkholes is like predicting 100 year floods.
Being a little cruel, are you
Old 06-21-2020, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale50000 View Post
Being a little cruel, are you
Nah, just being honest..
Old 06-24-2020, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Here five of the recent ones that I have.
And how many do them was in storm drain/transfer tube or retention pond. And how many of them had rotted out corrugated piping?
Old 06-24-2020, 08:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I hope you are wrong. Only your third post with such upsetting information

In the bedroom you say....like the only person that I know of in the news that died from a sinkhole over near Tampa?

Was this in the news?

Posters who live in Alhambra, is this true?
The house in Tampa wasn’t slab built home. Very rarely done slab structure fall into sink hole unless it Hugh
Old 06-24-2020, 08:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
To me, predicting sinkholes is like predicting 100 year floods.

But, you can pretty much bet storm drain system/retention pond involved?
Old 06-25-2020, 06:33 AM

There was sinkholes they filled and had Road all torn up last year (2019) up at Calumet Grove by the golf course and Calumet mailbox’s.
Isn’t that area about 17-20 years ago houses made by The Villages?

Last edited by 17362; 06-25-2020 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Added question
Old 06-25-2020, 07:44 PM

Is there any additional sinkhole insurance available above-and-beyond what you can get from a home insurance policy (which I understand has limited coverage)? In other words, is there anything I can do to reduce the financial risk of a sinkhole appearing in my front yard?
Old 06-30-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.
Thanks for the info! Thank you for sharing ! ❤️
Old 09-10-2020, 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=Advogado;1725791]Indeed. You have to wonder what motivated the Sumter County Commissioners not to vigorously oppose the pumping of the aquifer for commercial bottling, especially in light of the massive expansion of The Villages-- thereby increasing the risk of sinkholes due to the pumping.

In addition, that massive expansion will probably double our need for water right here in Sumter County, leading to the risk of possible water shortages-- as well as increasing the risk of sinkholes due to development itself. With respect to a possible water shortage, all but the newbies will recall that we had water rationing here just a couple of years ago.

For an article about The Villages being in Sinkhole alley and the connection between development, aquifer pumping, and sinkholes, see: [url=https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/science-behind-floridas-sinkhole-epidemic-180969158/]The Science Behind Florida’s Sinkhole Epidemic

Hummm, a good question, what MOTIVATED them to NOT oppose that ? Hummm, oh, could it have been MONEY ? Possibly hu ?
Old 09-10-2020, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=Ladygolfer93;1831102]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Indeed. You have to wonder what motivated the Sumter County Commissioners not to vigorously oppose the pumping of the aquifer for commercial bottling, especially in light of the massive expansion of The Villages-- thereby increasing the risk of sinkholes due to the pumping.

For an article about The Villages being in Sinkhole alley and the connection between development, aquifer pumping, and sinkholes, see: [url=https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/science-behind-floridas-sinkhole-epidemic-180969158/]The Science Behind Florida’s Sinkhole Epidemic

Hummm, a good question, what MOTIVATED them to NOT oppose that ? Hummm, oh, could it have been MONEY ? Possibly hu ?
When WAS that meeting?

Tags
elevation, villages, occurred, sinkholes, dot, yellow, put, past, areas, feet, plotted, google, chart, website, location, date, portions, higher, post, lowest, add, locations, occurring, sinkhole, btw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.