POA Bulletin more venomous than normal?

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2007, 04:34 AM
Eternal Member
Default POA Bulletin more venomous than normal?

I got the Dec issue of the POA bulletin today. I thought the primary headline attacking the Home Warranty Department was vicious even for POA standards. In the 16 page tabloid, the vast majority of space not dedicated to advertisement or self aggrandizement was used to attack the home warranty folks. And I know those who've not had an opportunity to glance through this issue will be surprised to know that basis for the attack boils down to ???"vinyl siding." :bigthumbsup: Oh, and of course there's the usual smear of the VHA, the confused opinions on recycling, and politicking for "Hometown Democracy".

Surprisingly, I respect the POA. It's unfortunate that I cannot become a member (my parents were married to one another.). However the organization does raise some important issues that have a significant impact on all our lives. Unfortunately, the attitude of the POA is such that they can do little to adequately address those issues and to find and implement solutions. For the POA, the developer is always the enemy. He's always wrong.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 12-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Default Re: POA Bulletin more venomous than normal?

There are some people that are just negative and love to fight. It builds up their ego. I came to the villages to enjoy life and not listen to people arguing. I glance at the poa news and dismiss it from my mind. Then throw it in the trash can . I do not believe the negative comments. If it was so ,the Villages would not be as successful is it is. There is no place like it. Their success speaks for it self. Sure there are problems but I have always gotten a prompt courteous response from home warranty. Even regarding siding.

I think these negative people need a life !!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Is there a link that we can access the POA news that you are talking about??
Old 12-09-2007, 03:38 PM

http://poa4us.org/
Old 12-09-2007, 04:31 PM

Can't say about December as only November was on line when I checked. I haven't found it to be "venomous" in the past. Just wondering why people are having so much trouble with siding and getting it fixed right. I don't think they are writing those letters to the editor just for fun! I agree with POA that more disclosure should be given to prospective buyers in advance of closing. Does this mean people posting on TOTV have experienced no difficulties? If there are unresolved problems, isn't it ok to say so withour being called "venomous"?
Old 12-09-2007, 05:56 PM

Your "parents were married to one another"? Who's being vicious now? We read everything that comes along, here in The Villages, not knowing most times, the real truth or research sans personal agenda/gripes, in the contents. Just settle down & consider it all food for thought, with the idea that you'll keep your eyes & ears open. That gives your mouth & typing fingers a rest.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:54 PM

I don't belong to either organization but I really enjoy the POA paper. They keep me up to date and pretty much tell it like it is. I scan the VHA paper to see what the developer has to say.

It's a great community and the developer has done a great job but lets face reality, it's all about making money. If they can turn a good profit it happens, if not it's dead.

I agree with you carole that was a pretty cheap shot. Almost sounds like muncie might be a card carrying VHA member. ;D
Old 12-09-2007, 11:52 PM

I haven't seen the Dec issue, but I do look forward to reading it. Their paper nearly always bring out some issue or another, sometimes important and at other times a nuisance. The POA has done some very good work in the past to help the citizens of TV when the VHA has declined to offer the same support. BUT the biggest issue I have with the POA is that all too often they attack something and raise some very negative issues but fail to provide an acceptable or workable solution except get rid of the developer and Pete Wahl. I realize that they have some legal constraints concerning their (POA) direct interaction with the developer, but if you've got a complaint at least offer a solution. To me, that is where they loose their creditability.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Veteran member

The POA put the developer on report for bashing home inspectors via the Daily Sun, owned and operated by the developer. The Daily Sun was bashing inspectors on behalf of the developer and the POA simply printed articles and correspondence to the contrary. The developer does NOT like to be told he/she is wrong and the POA simply calls it like they see it. VHA is jammed down your throat when you buy here but you have to find the POA on your own. We were talked into becoming lifetime members of VHA before we realized that they were puppets of the developer. Hooray for the POA !
Old 12-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Not sure but I do not think the articles attacked ALL building inspectors!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frangyomory
The POA put the developer on report for bashing home inspectors via the Daily Sun, owned and operated by the developer. The Daily Sun was bashing inspectors on behalf of the developer and the POA simply printed articles and correspondence to the contrary. The developer does NOT like to be told he/she is wrong and the POA simply calls it like they see it. VHA is jammed down your throat when you buy here but you have to find the POA on your own. We were talked into becoming lifetime members of VHA before we realized that they were puppets of the developer. Hooray for the POA !
Fran,,,,I do not understand your comment about having to find the POA on your own. The POA bulletin shows up on my driveway each month. How can I "shut it off"? I do not want it...lets save a tree and space in my trash can by allowing us to unsubscribe. BTW...When the builders pour a new driveway the POA claims their subscribers increase by one(1). Whats with that.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:00 AM

When we visited TV last Sept. we rented a house for 2 weeks. The POA paper was delivered while I was there and I read it. The POA addressed some issues that I had no idea about.

You can all draw your own conclusions about the POA. But whenever you have just one source of news or opinions, how can you make a viable conclusion? I will make my own conclusions, but please give me enough info to make them.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Eternal Member

Okay, this is a bit off topic but it follows a thread that has developed. A common complaint often heard in the forum is that The Developer (TD) owns the newspaper, that the newspaper only prints what is good for TD, and that the Daily Sun is the only newspaper, and it not only is a tool of TD but is ultra conservative.

Last one first -- I have the Orlando Sentinel delivered to my home daily. It's available at all postal stations. I also read the St. Pete's Times and occasionally the Ocala SB. And before it went belly up, we all got The Reporter, a publication of the Star Banner. All of these papers are quite liberal in reporting and editorial views. All are quite happy to print anything negative about TV and TD. Not always but frequently the Reporter and the SB were actively antagonistic toward TV.

As TV evolved, evidently TD realized that there was a need for an in-house media group that would focus on people and events in TV. From this need, the company created the radio, television, and newspaper organs. Did it help sell houses that these resources were here? Of course. It was a smart move. Don't know about you, but I was influenced by the existence of the radio station and paper. And we're not the only consumers. WVLG is heard all over this part of the state. Off campus, the Daily Sun is the common daily newspaper for this area. Not only for retirees, but "normal" residents of the area have the paper delivered. If the Star Banner better served this area, it might be the paper of record. It doesn't, so it's not. Same for the Slantinel. It's got a Lake County edition, but doesn't recognize Sumter.

Now if you owned a newspaper, are you going to do a hit piece on your company? Probably not. In a disagreement between your company and somebody else, you'll likely lean toward your company. This can, of course, lead to problems. The paper must be true to its readers. If it fails, it should get out of the business, and its readers should leave it. I have no problem with the paper taking an editorial position in favor of TD. I do have a problem when/if they distort facts. I'm happy to complain to the editor in that case. If I felt that it was endemic, I'd cancel the paper (tho that would be hard with all the local stuff in there not readily available elsewhere.)

Which, of course, brings us to the last common complaint. TD control the only source of local news. What happened to The Reporter? It failed. But then it was a lousy publication that was grossly overpriced at free. If someone would publish a good local newspaper at a reasonable price, I'd jump at it. Probably not to replace the Daily Sun but to supplement it. The area is full of businesses that are in direct competition with a TD owned or associated business. If they are good companies, well run, with a legitimate market, they prosper. If it works for a mortgage company, bank, or golf school, it could work for a newspaper or radio station.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 12-13-2007, 01:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Munde ,
Your right on the button . I personally think that the poa is overstepping themselves in some area's with THE SKY IS FALLING additude. thanks for the blog....
My best to your parents.
Fumar
Old 12-13-2007, 03:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default The POA Reporter

Until the POA Reporter publishes the bylines and contact information for those who write the articles it publishes, it will find it's way to my garbage can, unread, each time it's delivered.

There certainly is room for news and opinion which is critical of the developer. But when the articles are almost entirely vitriolic rants against the developer and its employees, with all accountability and responsibility hidden by the purposeful avoidance of attribution for the articles published, the POA Reporter is a publication I will continue to avoid.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.