POA or VHA

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2019, 01:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Actually, when you have been here as long as we have, and experienced life here and observe it close hand, day to day, year in and year out, and see how things are maintained, repaired, painted, replaced and kept nice, and how things are run, you may think as I do;

That the developers, the very quiet Morse family, though wealthy and successful, still works diligently to support the residents.

I cannot think of any place, anywhere, better run, and available for people of broad financial means to enjoy life.

It looks to be another beautiful day in The Villages.
All you say here is true GG, this is the best developed and run planned community in the world. While the Morse family does work diligently to support the residents, there is a strong profit motive to do so, and if a conflict between the bottom line and resident concerns presents itself, they will often, if not always, choose the enhancement of the bottom line. BTW this is not a condemnation but simply an example of the way most free enterprise works. The POA is a watchdog for the residents’ interests, totally independent from and, by most accounts, considered to be hostile by the developers. This is an excellent check to the power of the developer, benevolent or not.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
So, in other words, our amenity fees should be raised to cover the costs that he didnt set aside to maintain the facilities used by the residents. Unbelievable.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudit View Post
So, in other words, our amenity fees should be raised to cover the costs that he didnt set aside to maintain the facilities used by the residents. Unbelievable.
I wonder if anyone will ever know for sure just exactly what went on. It is sealed.

I see many instances where something less nice could easily have been substituted in our regional rec centers. And in many other areas. People each have their own histories and their own motives to interpret many life situations. Many people are against any successful capitalist venture and many are jealous of others financial success.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
All you say here is true GG, this is the best developed and run planned community in the world. While the Morse family does work diligently to support the residents, there is a strong profit motive to do so, and if a conflict between the bottom line and resident concerns presents itself, they will often, if not always, choose the enhancement of the bottom line. BTW this is not a condemnation but simply an example of the way most free enterprise works. The POA is a watchdog for the residents’ interests, totally independent from and, by most accounts, considered to be hostile by the developers.

This is an excellent check to the power of the developer, benevolent or not.

While there is a certain % of people who aren't in favor of "checks & balances" in general, I am personally thankful that we have them...where they exist.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up You Can't Make it UP

In one case it is asserted the Paradise Rec Center was fine which implies the fine of $40M was because of the error of the Judge and may have been for some under handed reason? How many know the distinction between AAC and Project Wide. How about the AAC has a 3% cap or less based on a US Index and Project Wide is for repair and maintenance and has no control and is a line item on your Property Annual Tax Billing. How many know of AAC line items charged to Project Wide which has no limit and allegedly would be corrupting the Village spending controls? No one I know says they don't love the Villages BUT to assert all is above boards is to show a tolerance to some form of potential abuse. When multi millions of dollars are involved you can rest assured there is possible abuse and you should follow the money. This is one advantage of the POA.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
In one case it is asserted the Paradise Rec Center was fine which implies the fine of $40M was because of the error of the Judge and may have been for some under handed reason? How many know the distinction between AAC and Project Wide. How about the AAC has a 3% cap or less based on a US Index and Project Wide is for repair and maintenance and has no control and is a line item on your Property Annual Tax Billing. How many know of AAC line items charged to Project Wide which has no limit and allegedly would be corrupting the Village spending controls? No one I know says they don't love the Villages BUT to assert all is above boards is to show a tolerance to some form of potential abuse. When multi millions of dollars are involved you can rest assured there is possible abuse and you should follow the money. This is one advantage of the POA.
Again there are some factually incorrect statements in this post. The funds for the AAC and PWAC are derived from the monthly Amenity Fees. They do NOT appear as a line item on your property tax bill. The Bond Maintenance fee which appears on the property tax bill is funding for the CDDs.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I wonder if anyone will ever know for sure just exactly what went on. It is sealed.

I see many instances where something less nice could easily have been substituted in our regional rec centers. And in many other areas. People each have their own histories and their own motives to interpret many life situations. Many people are against any successful capitalist venture and many are jealous of others financial success.
Gracie, it doesn't always come down to being jealous of financial success.. you have ALWAYS been a big proponent of TV and for the most part I am to... BUT I don't stick my head in the sand and say everything is OK the Morse's would never do us wrong because history shows that they made a mistake and never tried to fix their mistake... In order to get it corrected they had to be taken to court and they lost... 1 other thing to think about.. with all the power they have here in Fl. and all their high powered atty's they have I was shocked that a sister and brother living here in TV ended up winning the law suit... that show's you how wrong they must have been
Old 11-14-2019, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
Gracie, it doesn't always come down to being jealous of financial success.. you have ALWAYS been a big proponent of TV and for the most part I am to... BUT I don't stick my head in the sand and say everything is OK the Morse's would never do us wrong because history shows that they made a mistake and never tried to fix their mistake... In order to get it corrected they had to be taken to court and they lost... 1 other thing to think about.. with all the power they have here in Fl. and all their high powered atty's they have I was shocked that a sister and brother living here in TV ended up winning the law suit... that show's you how wrong they must have been
I'm not seeing where they won the lawsuit. I'm only seeing that the Morses agreed to a settlement. If what I'm understanding is true that means no one won or lost the suit, it was settled with a monetary payout instead.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh414 View Post
Can someone explain the goals and differences between the POA and VHA homeowner groups? I am trying to decide which group I should join. My husband and I are new homewowners in The Villages. Thanks in advance for all constructive and informative information.
Join both, we did. Inexpensive
Old 11-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm not seeing where they won the lawsuit. I'm only seeing that the Morses agreed to a settlement. If what I'm understanding is true that means no one won or lost the suit, it was settled with a monetary payout instead.

yes, you are correct, it was an agreement but do you think the Morse's would have given in and paid out $40million if they thought they had a chance at winning... and to me when you go in with $0 and come out with $40,000,000 it is a win!!
Closed Thread

Tags
vha, poa, homewowners, husband, advance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.