Pocket Doors

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Default Pocket Doors

Has anyone had any troubles with a pocket door getting off track? Anyone to recommend looking at (fixing) them? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I don't know if Alan Byer can do this, but I'm pretty sure he can. Give him a call -- if he can't he'll tell you rather than try to muck around and make things worse. 352/233-8567

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYTeacher View Post
Has anyone had any troubles with a pocket door getting off track? Anyone to recommend looking at (fixing) them? Thanks in advance.
I hate pocket doors. We have one on our ensuite bathroom. I wonder if you can replace them with a real door?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Platinum member

What is it about the pocket doors that you hate? We like ours so far.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYTeacher View Post
Try closing the door part way and tightening the roller assemblies at the top. Also make sure the track itself is tight to the door header. Finally, add a little non-petroleum based lubricant.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
What is it about the pocket doors that you hate? We like ours so far.
Getdul ... It is a bathroom door. There isn't a handle on it, so it seems awkward to close it. And it has never closed and locked. Even my dog can open it. I thought rather that getting it repaired, I might just add a "normal" door.

(We also have a pocket door on the laundry room and that one doesn't bother me).
Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Getdul ... It is a bathroom door. There isn't a handle on it, so it seems awkward to close it. And it has never closed and locked. Even my dog can open it. I thought rather that getting it repaired, I might just add a "normal" door.

(We also have a pocket door on the laundry room and that one doesn't bother me).
We have two pocket doors in our Gardenia and I don't mind either of them and have yet to find a reason not to. One of those doors closes off the toilet in the master bath and the other can close off the two guest bedrooms and guest bath that can sort of make that area into a private suite. Both doors have small popout handles that are easy to use, but I do have to admit that my wife had to show me how to use them!
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Pocket doors are used when "Interior Space " is at a premium and specifically you do not have the swing radius to open the door fully without an obstruction being in the way. They are very popular in The Villages.

Another complaint I hear is when people nail a picture on the outside wall (where the pocket door is) and the nail is toooo long goes through the wall and obstructs the door from properly opening or closing. Easy Fix use a shorter nail!!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Sage

Check the door for scratches on both sides. A common mistake I have found is that the drywall installers used a too-long screw that catches the door, or the finish carpenters used a too-long nail on the baseboard. Then check for some piece of debris under the door, and last, have you hung a picture or a towel bar or some other accessory on the walls on either side of the pocket. A lot of people don't realise that you need to be careful of the wall on either side of the pocket. Not much clearance.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.