Point of order - part deux!

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Sage
Default Point of Order -- Part Trois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
You all know my other beefs (Sumter not Sumpter for example)

I have one more forum shorthand note for newbies: We like to use the abbreviation TV for THE VILLAGES. It is not TV's. The 's' is already in the word - don't add another one And don't lowercase it. That would mean television.

Guess I'm just grumpy with this new round of rain!!!
A real estate agent is not necessarily a Realtor. The name Realtor is a registered trademark of the National Association of Realtors and can only be used legally by members of the organization. As a registered trademark it is always capitalized.

No rain, not grumpy, just saying.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
A real estate agent is not necessarily a Realtor. The name Realtor is a registered trademark of the National Association of Realtors and can only be used legally by members of the organization. As a registered trademark it is always capitalized.

No rain, not grumpy, just saying.
I didn't know that P.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

OK YOUSE GUYS , KNOCK IT OFF , SOME OF USENS ARE VERY SIN SET IVE..

fUMAR
Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default With very sincere respect to the English majors.

I know that I spelled more correctly more often when I was in my prime. I know that I was more careful of my grammar.

I love to read what everyone writes here even if some of us would get points off for perfect inflection and syntax. (Wait, I have to go to dictionary.com to see if those are the right words.) I guess I like the gist of things more than perfectly presented ideas, but I like those too. I like hearing the wisdom and debates that flow back and forth from you, my peers. I like to hear your ideas and views. I like to read it in your way.

And although sometimes I write right...sometimes I write wrong.

Please still like me Russ.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-12-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Sage
Default hindsight

Sadly,Gracie, I wish I, too, had been more careful of both my grammers. They are no longer with us.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Sadly,Gracie, I wish I, too, had been more careful of both my grammers. They are no longer with us.
I miss my grammer.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I know that I spelled more correctly more often when I was in my prime. I know that I was more careful of my grammar.

I love to read what everyone writes here even if some of us would get points off for perfect inflection and syntax. (Wait, I have to go to dictionary.com to see if those are the right words.) I guess I like the gist of things more than perfectly presented ideas, but I like those too. I like hearing the wisdom and debates that flow back and forth from you, my peers. I like to hear your ideas and views. I like to read it in your way.

Thanks for reading my posts despite the bad spelling. I would like to thank the person who invented spell check. I have dyslexia and only see the first and last couple of letters of a word so spelling is a real problem. I am sorry that I, sometimes post without spellchecking in word and pasteing it in, resulting in very bad spelling.

What makes me feel stupid is when I try to understand people who use what I call tribal language. Words and phrases that are only used in certain industries or areas. (Hubby uses engineering areospace languange all the time, one of his few flaws.)
Old 04-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Sage

Quote:

Thank you, Gracie. Sometimes I agree with you even more than I agree with me. No wonder you're a sage!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I am sorry that I, sometimes post without spellchecking in word and pasteing it in, resulting in very bad spelling.
If you use Firefox version 3+ then the spell check is built right in as you type. Try it.

Russ
Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
I don't think that is in question GG!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Where spell check is concerned, you gotta remember -- use it but do not trust it. Mistakes in writing can happen to anybody. And it really is OK. Communication is what it's really about. (I think I just ended that sentence with a preposition. And I don't care.)

Here's a little rhyme that makes the spell check point in a fun way. (And when in the heck did 'fun' become an adjective? It sure wasn't when I was in high school.) Anyway, this little rhyme has been floating around for a while. I did not write it.

Eye halve a spelling chequer,
It came with my pea sea,
It plainly marques for my revue,
Mist steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word,
And wait four it two say,
Weather I am wrong oar write,
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid,
It nose bee fore to long,
And eye can put the error rite,
Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it,
I am sure your pleased to no.
Its letter perfect awl the weigh,
My chequer tolled me sew.

------------------

Boomer

P.S. -- I just looked up 'fun' on dictionary.com and saw that it actually had come into usage as an adjective by the time I was in high school. Who knew? Oh well, Mark Twain supposedly said, "If the world is coming to an end, go to Cincinnati. Everything there happens 15 years later." -- or he might have said "20 years" or he might not have really said such a thing, at all. Oh well. I digress.

Last edited by Boomer; 04-12-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 04-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Spelilng is oevr rtaed. Stduies have fuond that if the frist and last letetrs
are proper, msot poeple can undrestnad setnences jst fnie. Our haeds
intepret the wrods for us.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Default The Voices in my head

After reading this whole thread, and replies, it reminds me of some of the late night arguments with 'the voices in my head' (which I usually lose). I love TOTV! Makes me feel like I'm already in TV. Fortunately, won't have to wait much longer, closing 4/29. Counting down. I think most english majors have suffered cardiac arrests after getting text messages from today's kids anyway. As far as spell checkers go, I think they are pretty useless unless they are checking context too. The backspace key does me more good than a spell-checker. Don't have all that white-out on the screen anymore. All I need now is for my shoulder to co-operate so I can properly swing a club. Hope to see y'all soon.
- Irving Kristol
Old 04-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Enjoying this thread

A word to Gracie...I am so glad to hear that someone else has problems remembering all the correct grammar we were taught. I used to love it so...

To Boomer ...if only you could straighten out lye, lay, lain, laid....

I sometimes help with ESL classes and am ashamed of what I have forgotten.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Veteran member
Default Not me

Im not going hear nor their.

So they're.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.