Police Dept. sign on 466

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
Seems that a sign like that will just confuse people around here. What if they want to make a left turn? Are they gonna stay in the right lane and then zip across the left lane to the turning lane? Don't say that it is common sense. The law should have nothing to do with common sense. It's a dumb law for local roads with multiple entrances and exits and roads where left turns are permitted. Save that law for the highways.
You don't drive four miles in the left lane because you're going to turn.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

They should also put up a sign which reads "Speeder's only in the left lane"
Old 04-21-2016, 10:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynitsche View Post
Exactly.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Gold member

Driving west on Hillsboro yesterday afternoon. Speed limit is 30. Large white SUV on my ass possibly thinking that was going to get me to speed up. Not gonna happen..

When I drive the internal roads, golf carts are on my right. I can almost reach out and touch them. Then all the sudden the golf cart lane ends and merges into the car lane.

Why would you want me to drive faster than 30?

Slow down already......
Old 04-21-2016, 12:15 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Gotcha......so I will just stay in the right lane, going the correct speed limit.... then cut you off speeders when my turn comes.....

Last edited by kstew43; 04-21-2016 at 12:30 PM. Reason: not slow.. speed limit
Old 04-21-2016, 12:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
Gotcha......so I will just stay in the right lane then cut you off when my turn comes.....
A lane change prior to a left turn is negotiated millions of times every day without cutting anyone off.
And it's all done without handwringing, sweating, debating on a message board, or illegally using the left lane as your own personal slow lane!
Who knew?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
A lane change prior to a left turn is negotiated millions of times every day without cutting anyone off.
And it's all done without handwringing, sweating, debating on a message board, or illegally using the left lane as your own personal slow lane!
Who knew?

I am just interested as to why this issue riles up some people? I hardly ever allow driving issues to make me angry. That is the most unsafe thing to do of all. I think that it is because no one I know well gets road rage, or has a short fuse while driving. It is wise to not allow issues like this to get anyone excited. At most it is ten minutes on 466A that you have to subject yourself to this frustration. I used to drive my car around Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky,West Virginia, Western Pennsylvania and Tennesee in my job as a rep. I have driven a lot. You have to not let other people's driving habits get you all mad.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-22-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am just interested as to why this issue riles up some people? I hardly ever allow driving issues to make me angry. That is the most unsafe thing to do of all. I think that it is because no one I know gets road rage, or has a short fuse while driving. It is wise to not allow issues like this to get anyone excited. At most it is ten minutes on 466A that you have to subject yourself to this frustration.
I have no idea. I posted the info after seeing the sign, in hopes that people would follow the law. Not argue that it shouldn't be a law, or try to dream up scenarios where it would cause a wreck. I think some folks should stay home, wrapped in bubble wrap with a helmet on their head.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
I have no idea. I posted the info after seeing the sign, in hopes that people would follow the law. Not argue that it shouldn't be a law, or try to dream up scenarios where it would cause a wreck. I think some folks should stay home, wrapped in bubble wrap with a helmet on their head.

oic

The Villages Florida

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-21-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I have seen many who do this because they know they are going to have to make a left turn but are not sure where. Not everyone has GPS or has been here a long time.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am just interested as to why this issue riles up some people? I hardly ever allow driving issues to make me angry. That is the most unsafe thing to do of all. I think that it is because no one I know gets road rage, or has a short fuse while driving. It is wise to not allow issues like this to get anyone excited. At most it is ten minutes on 466A that you have to subject yourself to this frustration.
I don't know that it particularly riles up some people. I think it's just that maybe old habits die hard or that it just doesn't seem prudent in many instances. Going less than the speed limit in the left lane really does create problems. Going the posted speed limit in the left lane really shouldn't in most instances. It is also against the law to speed in order to pass.

One of the problems I see with driving in the right lane except for passing, are those people who just flat refuse to signal that they will be turning right and then everyone behind them going the speed limit having to try to avoid them at the last second.

Just my thoughts. Guess we'll soon see how it works out.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-21-2016, 01:36 PM
Sage

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-21-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:06 PM
Email Reported As Spam

This law was passed sometime ago and this same discussion ensured on TOTV except it was discussed in terms of the Florida turnpike.

Those of us who often travel 466 understand the dilemma. Its frustrating to find people driving below 45 mph in both the right and left lane and it happens much too often. I suspect that's why the reminder by LOE

Driving too slow for conditions can be as hazardous as driving too fast for conditions It seems the saying "lead, follow or get the heck out of the way has merit here
Old 04-21-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Who knew?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
Gotcha......so I will just stay in the right lane, going the correct speed limit.... then cut you off speeders when my turn comes.....
Yes! Exactly. Only problem being the person in the left lane is going five under the speed limit.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Maybe they want the left lane open for the speeder's so the came create more revenue O I mean catch the law breakers.

I've never seen traffic going 45 in either lanes on 466, 50 maybe. The posted speed limit is 45. That's the maximum speed not the minimum. So I pull out to pass car going 44, it will take awhile to get around the car unless I go above the posts speed limit Hypothetically.

I keep up with the flow of traffic usually 50 to 55 on 466 through the villages.

Another point how can you get ticket going 45 in the left lane? Why did they make mult-lane roads?

Unless they changed the law from the last time I read it 6 months ago. You can only get ticketed in the left lane if you are impeding traffic reguardless of your speed.

Bottom line it's bs, you will NEVER see only right lane traffic. All lanes will be clogged with vehicles. Utterly stupid to think otherwise.
Closed Thread

Tags
police, lane, dept, start, ticketing, means, hope, story, left, laggards, news6, law, signs, belonging, portable, sign, passing, stay, flashes, message

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.