Police pulling golf carts over today

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPreu View Post
As a retired police Lieutenant, I bristle at some of the comments I read here. Let me state the facts: DUI, Reckless Driving and the various forms of vehicular homicide are CRIMES, not ticketable offenses. An operator may be charged for a DUI "anywhere within this state", and that includes golf cart paths, shopping centers and even your own driveway. "Anywhere" means anywhere.

A source of revenue? Really? In my home state (and I know it varies from state to state), $5.00 of every pay-by-mail ticket goes to the municipality while the rest goes in to the state's General Fund. Some localities have their own printed up tickets, but in the case of the SCSO or MCSO or LCSO, these are state issued tickets, so the town of Lady Lake receives NO "revenue".

When you see a "police presence", its always as the result of an order from a superior officer which, in turn, is the result of complaints made by residents. Historically, its been my experience, that resident complaints usually result in tickets issued to residents.

Lastly, when I sent an officer(s) to an area as the result of complaints of speeders, I expected results.

Ok, Ive vented, its off to the golf course where I find peace in the valley.
Well said! Nicely said. Diplomatically said. And I agree 100%!
Some will always have trouble with authority. I think laws and rules protect us. The person that said that no minds will be changed on this forum is correct. We are a bunch of stubborn old....f...um...folks.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Gold member
Default It' all bout design

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
Instead of expecting the laws to conform to your needs, why not conform and adapt to the laws.

If you want to be able to travel TV legally at up to 25mph you can. Just upgrade your cart with LSV saftey equipment and register and insure it for $450/yr. After all, it’s only money. You will have the added benefit of additional safety equipment designed for operation at that speed.
Excellent point. Many are not thinking about the fact that their GOLF designed carts were NOT designed to go over 20 mph for extended times. A LSV had four real brakes. And if it goes 30+ at least it can steer and stop!

Is it a golf cart for low speed Golf and enjoyment or a vehicle to provide personal transportation. I think all Village Carts should meet LSV standards with belts brakes wipers etc. IMHO

But this will get beat to death again and again and again. Yamaha and other companies could build a model " Village Ready " and sell em like hotcakes
Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Gold member
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Well said! Nicely said. Diplomatically said. And I agree 100%!
Some will always have trouble with authority. I think laws and rules protect us. The person that said that no minds will be changed on this forum is correct. We are a bunch of stubborn old....f...um...folks.
Agree! Well said
Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Platinum member
Default Not Just Speeding

Many carts are being pulled over for running the stop signs, not for speeding. The general assumption seems to be that they were caught speeding.

I have noticed all over that cars and carts alike seem to have the mindset that the red and white signs that say STOP are only there to add color to the landscape.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Veteran member

This conversation is typical as it relates to our problems as a society. We seem to think that laws can be "fudged." We don't understand why young people don't respect authority while at the same time people drink while driving, speed and ignore other laws. Gee, I wonder where they learn this behavior??????
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.