Politeness

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post

Behavior can be contagious. Spread cheer!
Yes... more people, more roundabout confusion, but lots of great people to meet!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Default au contraire frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
Agreed....although I am not a Villager. I would think that the wiser folks would see snowbirds as potential future year round neighbors.

I'm not trying to stir the pot at all, because I think you folks are terrific. I will say that I have had people rent my place as snowbirds that came to us because they felt unwelcome in The Villages as snowbirds so they decided to look elsewhere. They told me they felt like second class citizens compared to year round folks.

Now, I do not feel this way...you all have been very nice.

I just like to say to the comment on New Yorkers......please do NOT paint us all the same. I am from outside of Buffalo NY. Hours and miles from downstate and NYC. I have acreage. I am in the country where there are more cows then people. I've never been in a taxi and the only subways we have sell footlong sandwiches. The highest building within miles of me other then silos is a 7 story Senior complex.

Dispite what some folks think there is a whole huge state above NYC called New York. We have mountains, finger lakes, and cows. We don't have brooklyn accents and are not rude.

Frank
you ARE very rude assuming that all New Yorker City dwellers are rude! And Brooklyn accents are worse than hayseed accents? hmmm?

people are people it doesn't matter where they live, it's all about what's inside them. And by the way, the nastiest person I ever met was from just outside Buffalo NY
Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
you ARE very rude assuming that all New Yorker City dwellers are rude! And Brooklyn accents are worse than hayseed accents? hmmm?

people are people it doesn't matter where they live, it's all about what's inside them. And by the way, the nastiest person I ever met was from just outside Buffalo NY
Big Lew....sit down so I can look you eye to eye. You are a nice fellow and so is Faithful Frank.

You just haven't read a lot of his posts. He is just.....pretty near perfect. I haven't heard his accent yet, but I suppose he doesn't have unaccented speech like I do...but he still is one really nice person, considered, and kind.

The only thing truly wrong with Faithful Frank is that he doesn't live in Hadley and none of us have had any luck making him see the error of his ways!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynbod View Post
Dispite what some folks think there is a whole huge state above NYC called New York. We have mountains, finger lakes, and cows. We don't have brooklyn accents and are not rude.

Frank
That doesn't sound very friendly. Brooklyn people are the tops.[/QUOTE]

fAITHFULfRANK I did not mean to infer anything bad about anyone from Brooklyn....or anyplace.
It is just exasperating sometimes to hear how rude, etc us Ny'ers are.

OMG! Are mountains, finger lakes and cows required props to raise people that are NOT rude? I must check the landscape of Ellis Island!

A proud Brooklynite and New Yorker!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Sage

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Polite
Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Sage

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-07-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Wow! If people are grumpier now then we're in for a treat and I'm glad we made the move we did! We arrived in the beginning of Oct and honestly, we feel people have gone out of their way to be helpful and friendly. Like the gent in Wildwood who gave my husband a lift to Colony to pick me up and take us back to Wildwood because I had the keys to the Prius in my purse. Like the gent who towed us from LSL to Poinciena when our elec cart punked out on us. Like the folks who tooted their horns with a smile letting me know I did a wrong maneuver in a round-about. Like the woman in the grocery store who asked if I wanted to go 1st because I only had a few items. Leaving the city and moving here is wonderful!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:36 PM

I loved the Minneapolis area the best and their pride in being "Minnesota Nice"

THANK-YOU

Last edited by Minnesotalyn; 04-07-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Did not come out right
Old 04-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesotalyn View Post
I loved the Minneapolis area the best and their pride in being "Minnesota Nice"

THANK-YOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I was reared in the Finger Lakes region of New York where folks had an earthy way about them. In my town we welcomed visitors and enjoyed learning about them and from them. Since then I have lived in a number of places. I loved the Minneapolis area the best and their pride in being "Minnesota Nice" Of course it all boils down to you and your treatment and reactions to people. I will say that the crowding in the winter months does leave some folks short on patience. The best remedy for this is one I learned from my wife. Always have a smile on your face it denotes warmth and approachability.
Thank-you, It wouldn't let me delete my post
Old 04-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Politeness

Hey Minnesotalyn...Did you know that the people in Minnesota are so nice that the stat banned 4 way stop because each driver deferred to the other and none moved. Did you know that people from Minnesota are so nice that if you lst your wallet with $200 in it, it would come back to you with $250.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default As is always the case, I don't care what the subject,

the ONLY points reviewed/presented/debated are the minority count occurence or violation......the majority, usually well over 98% just gets washed over by the minority incident discussions.

Me I am happy as a lark with and being a part of the 98% that make up what it is we all love about TV....the other 2% aren't going to change so why give them any credence by discussing what they do/don't!!

btk
Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Default Peak Season

Peak season is just that - peak! I've noticed posts on the Golf forum about difficulty making tee times in the Dec - Mar time frame. I can only imagine what the crowds must be around the squares and restaurants. That is why we come in May or October. Plus, this "redneck" has taken a liking to polo!! And we LIKE doing the tailgate thing at the polo grounds!!

Every state has their grouches. I always make their day by smiling to them. It makes them wonder just what I'm thinking. (I'll never tell.)

We've found "Florida's Friendliest Home" just that! For (regrettably) some reason we all tend to always remember that one sour puss!!

I personally like it when someone says, "Can you talk some more, I like your Southern accent." But, if you say it in a condescending way then that's a different story! Yes, we did go to school. Yes, we can read and write. Yes, we do take baths. Yes, I did marry my cousin. Wait- - -I wasn't suppose to say that part!!

God only gives us so many days and I for one am trying to get to TV as fast as I can so we can enjoy all that's good and wonderful about TV while we can.

P.S. I guess because I'm relatively new to TOTV, someone please define "snowflakes" and "frogs"? I know what Snowbirds are, but the other two have me baffled.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 PM

more people, more money to the community,
so when they are gone, so is the money.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
Peak season is just that - peak! I've noticed posts on the Golf forum about difficulty making tee times in the Dec - Mar time frame. I can only imagine what the crowds must be around the squares and restaurants. That is why we come in May or October. Plus, this "redneck" has taken a liking to polo!! And we LIKE doing the tailgate thing at the polo grounds!!

Every state has their grouches. I always make their day by smiling to them. It makes them wonder just what I'm thinking. (I'll never tell.)

We've found "Florida's Friendliest Home" just that! For (regrettably) some reason we all tend to always remember that one sour puss!!

I personally like it when someone says, "Can you talk some more, I like your Southern accent." But, if you say it in a condescending way then that's a different story! Yes, we did go to school. Yes, we can read and write. Yes, we do take baths. Yes, I did marry my cousin. Wait- - -I wasn't suppose to say that part!!

God only gives us so many days and I for one am trying to get to TV as fast as I can so we can enjoy all that's good and wonderful about TV while we can.

P.S. I guess because I'm relatively new to TOTV, someone please define "snowflakes" and "frogs"? I know what Snowbirds are, but the other two have me baffled.

Thanks!
Hi Jgbama,
First, let me say that you don't talk funny. I understood every word you said.

Second, you and I are snowflakes. We don't necessarily come down for the winter, but we get here when we can.

Third, frogs are what we're gonna be one day. "Frogs" are here 'til they croak!

Ribbit (I'm practicing my ribbit)

-- Pturner (who took literary license in saying "here" since I'm not actually there-- i.e., in TV-- at the moment but only wish I was)
Old 04-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
.........P.S. I guess because I'm relatively new to TOTV, someone please define "snowflakes" and "frogs"? I know what Snowbirds are, but the other two have me baffled.

Thanks!
Snowflake: Someone who comes to TV now and then - not necessarily for long periods of time.

Frog: Permanent resident in TV. They are there til..........they croak!!

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.